Topic: Expanding UFX II Outputs with Fireface UC

Hi.

I have been reading several posts on using two devices but they have been rather confusing and also don't match my config so here it comes.
I have a FF UFX II and a UC. I want to expand the UFX II's 6 outputs with the 6 outputs of the UC. (6+6 because stereo/phones outputs are not an option). Only additional outputs needed. Is it possible? If so, do I just need to set it up once and can then remove the USB cable of the UC and go just with the ADAT/TOSLINK connection? This would be my preferred solution.

Thanks.

Re: Expanding UFX II Outputs with Fireface UC

If you would add now whether you have Windows or Mac OS wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses.

Windows 10 it is.

A DAW can only load one audio driver.
Use your UFX II as main interface and load from DAW perspective its MADIface ASIO driver.
The UC you can connect via ADAT (up to 8 channels more).

UFX II will be clock master, RME MADIface driver settings dialog: clock source: "internal"
UC will be clock slave, RME USB driver settings dialog: clock source: "ADAT"

Always ensure, that you select the same ASIO buffersizes in the setting dialog for each of the ASIO driver / devices.

TM FX: select the ASIO driver for the UC or alternatively open a 2nd TM FX instance esp. for the UC.
1. 1st direction from UFX II to UC
- UFX II: Route up to 8 channels to ADAT1 towards UC
-  UC: Route these 8 channels from ADAT to whatever port you need on the UC
2. 2nd direction from UC to UFX II
- UC: route up to 8 analog channels from to ADAT
- UFX II: route up to 8 channels from ADAT1 to whatever output port you want on the UFX II

Either keep USB connection, has the advantage to be able to change settings of the channels or
use UC in standalone mode, as you prefer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Damn, you're quick. Thank you very much, looks like you saved christmas for me since I don't have to spend yet another grand on a new device. wink
Basically that's what I hoped for and expected from what I got from the other threads. Thanks for reminding me of the buffer and clock settings in the slave/UC, I probably would have missed that.
As I only need the outputs of the UC, can I just omit the connection from UC to UFX or does it have to be symmetrical for some reason?

> As I only need the outputs of the UC, can I just omit the connection from UC to UFX
> or does it have to be symmetrical for some reason?

If you only need outputs on the UC, then one TOSLINK cable is required.
And as the sending optical link contains the clock ... 1 cable is enough indeed.

BTW .. The TOSLINK cable can be 10m long according to standards, but 15m also works well with RME:

Thanks again, ramses. 1m will do though. I'll try that once the missing gear is here.

8 (edited by ramses 2020-12-19 21:05:01)

I made good experience with this cable.
https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm
Its not so stiff like sommer cable, which I regard as too stiff.

Is there something wrong with the 2m cable that came with the fireface?

No, I needed a different length and several for several purposes up to 15m cable.

OK, thanks, I guess I'm good to go then.