Topic: Connection between 2 interfaces @ 2 Macs

Let's say I have a UFX+ as an interface @ Mac 1 and Digiface USB @ Mac 2.
Is it possible to hook up the UFX via ADAT to the Digiface and send 8 channels between the two Macs. And still be able to use both as an interface at the corresponding Mac (so NOT only us the UFX as an converter)?

Let's see assume that this works, must there also be a master and slave, I guess? And what would happen to the only one Mac / one Interface is running? How would the slave react if the master is not on or vise versa?

Re: Connection between 2 interfaces @ 2 Macs

One needs to be clock master, WC is no option, as it is not supported by Digiface USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks. Ok, that's no surprise. But you think besides this little restriction it should work?

Do you now what happens if the Mastern isn't turned on? Do I need to switch sync settings everytime the master device isn't turned on or is the slave device smart enough to recognize, that there is no clock signal and sets the clock to internal automatically?

I don't know, try it out. I assume that you need to switch settings.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

deek wrote:

Do I need to switch sync settings everytime the master device isn't turned on or is the slave device smart enough to recognize, that there is no clock signal and sets the clock to internal automatically?

The interfaces automatically default to their internal clock if an external master clock isn’t present. As I see it, with clock via ADAT this should work without any problems.

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

hardyroede wrote:
deek wrote:

Do I need to switch sync settings everytime the master device isn't turned on or is the slave device smart enough to recognize, that there is no clock signal and sets the clock to internal automatically?

The interfaces automatically default to their internal clock if an external master clock isn’t present. As I see it, with clock via ADAT this should work without any problems.

Thanks, that's want I want to hear :-)

I use a similar setup, with a FF400 connected via ADAT to an old M-audio FireBridge. Works perfectly.

Sometimes I also use a digital mixer in between.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...