1 (edited by bartlomiej8484 2020-12-13 02:25:05)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS - noise at various gain levels

Hi Everyone,

I've recorded several values of gain (volume slider in DAW always set to 100%).

I connected Shure SM58 to Babyface using Sommer Cable SC Stage 22 Highflex.
The microphone was under the pillow during recording (no ambient noise)

Are these noise values correct or is there something wrong with my interface?

Wav files below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kyh1k8w126y … 6SE0a?dl=0

Regards

Re: Babyface Pro FS - noise at various gain levels

Putting a mic under a pillow isn't the best way to test S/N ratio.

What you need is a 200 Ohm resistor to pins 2 and 3 of the XLR. Plug it in and see what the noise level is.

Measuring at 0 dB and +60 dB gain will show how clean the preamps really are. I don't think they will disappoint big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

3 (edited by bartlomiej8484 2020-12-13 22:33:02)

cyrano wrote:

What you need is a 200 Ohm resistor to pins 2 and 3 of the XLR. Plug it in and see what the noise level is.

Thank you for your advice.

Is there anyone who could compare my recordings with with their equipment?

bartlomiej8484 wrote:
cyrano wrote:

Thank you for your advice.

Is there anyone who could compare my recordings with with their equipment?

I can't see how there would be any point in comparing anything to your recordings. If you want to measure preamp noise level, just do what cyrano suggests.
The way you are trying to do it introduces a lot of variables into the testing, which makes the testing not of the preamp S/N but of your particular setup.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

5 (edited by bartlomiej8484 2020-12-18 16:48:57)

ebmmbongo wrote:

I can't see how there would be any point in comparing anything to your recordings

The comparison method  could be for example:
1) connect popular model of dynamic microphone using high quality microphone cable
2) set up gain level in TotalMix to one of the following: 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 (make sure that all EQ and FX ale turned off)
and 100 % volume (AN) slider
3) record mic track on DAW with 100 % volume slider
4) compare (for example) in Foobar the noise levels

This is not a very accurate method, but will show some approximation of the noise level.

It is wasted time. You have a Peak/RMS display of the noise levels right in TM FX. You have DIGICheck for even easier to read measurements. And you could use open inputs with not too high gain - easiest to reproduce for everyone.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is wasted time. You have a Peak/RMS display of the noise levels right in TM FX. You have DIGICheck for even easier to read measurements. And you could use open inputs with not too high gain - easiest to reproduce for everyone.

Yes but I would like to compare my results with noise levels of other Babyface Pro FS users.
I can see peak levels but I need other users observations.

8 (edited by bartlomiej8484 2020-12-19 02:01:52)

bartlomiej8484 wrote:
MC wrote:

Yes, but I would like to compare my results of noise levels of other Babyface Pro FS users.
I can see peak levels but I need other users observations.

9 (edited by mkok 2020-12-19 10:18:27)

Why? I have the BFP and wouldn’t be the least bit interested in spending time doing this when I could be recording and making music instead.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

Why? I have the BFP and wouldn’t be the least bit interested in spending time doing this when I could be recording and making music instead.

So just make music.

I would like to know whether my preamps are ok (in comparrison to other users).

Why have you noticed a problem with them? Are you getting excessive noise? I just wondered as would you normally do this with new gear unless you suspect a problem?

Anyway good luck with getting other users to contribute.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Anyone else could check this on theirs Babyface Pro FS interfaces?

bartlomiej8484 wrote:
ebmmbongo wrote:

I can't see how there would be any point in comparing anything to your recordings

The comparison method  could be for example:
1) connect popular model of dynamic microphone using high quality microphone cable
2) set up gain level in TotalMix to one of the following: 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 (make sure that all EQ and FX ale turned off)
and 100 % volume (AN) slider
3) record mic track on DAW with 100 % volume slider
4) compare (for example) in Foobar the noise levels

This is not a very accurate method, but will show some approximation of the noise level.

Hi
Yes I understand perfectly your method, but please, if you want to measure preamp noise in a meaningful way you should just do it the way that has been described earlier. By introducing a lot of variables, (mic, cable, bed, pillow, room, house and more) you are effectively not measuring the preamp noise at all but the environment.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Take screenshots or notes of the input noise level you see on an open input at e.g. 0 and 30 dB of gain...
And if you want low-noise recordings, perhaps choose another microphone...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

15 (edited by bartlomiej8484 2020-12-22 13:16:53)

RME Support wrote:

Take screenshots or notes of the input noise level you see on an open input at e.g. 0 and 30 dB of gain...
And if you want low-noise recordings, perhaps choose another microphone...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

I was testing it with several dynamic mikes (SM58, Beta58A, e935, e945, ND76).

Below I attached:

• screenshots mashup of TotalMix with input signal peaks with several gain levels
    PunBB bbcode test

Looks normal to me, just use a condenser mic if u really need lower noise than that.

17 (edited by bartlomiej8484 2020-12-25 23:09:14)

hselters wrote:

Looks normal to me, just use a condenser mic if u really need lower noise than that.

The last pack of noise samples was without any microphone.

I've noticed that, the noise is higher without any microphone plugged in, but because each users use different cables microphones the most accurate method of comparing my noise levels with other users is probably to show the noise levels of my interface without any cable or microphone.

Has anyone compared these noise levels to their Babyface Pro FS?

Daniel Fuchs: Are these noise levels appear correctly in terms of quality standards relating to post-production tests?

Well I did take a look today and I am getting the same results as you are. I've only done  two examples but they are in the same ball park. So nothing connected to the inputs at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljzspztotqpya … S.jpg?dl=0