Topic: ADA8200 preamp + Totalmix + outboard comp

Hello...

I would like some assistance with routing my Babyface Pro with a compressor(ART VLA II ) via a Behringer ADA 8200 preamp thru lightpipe.

Here's my current setup and routing:

1) Babyface Pro in and out to ADA8200 vias Toslink cables.  Successful sync.

2) Line out of compressor to line in on ADA8200 (input 8)

3) Line in of compressor to line out of ADA8200 (output 1)

To test in totalmix, I started by running a track out from StudioOne to an ADAT out and can successfully see activity on meters.

In my DAW (Studio One), a track is playing and sent to line out 8, with an additional track to set to record the output of the compressor coming back from the ADA 1.   I still get no signal  on the compressor meters.  I think(?) the problem is with my routing in TotalMix. 

I'm sure the problems stem from my newness and routing issues.  I have read the manual, Ramses signal flow primer, and other resources but am still lost.  Its probably a pretty simple explanation but I need it spoon fed to me -- embarassed icon.

I apologize if this stuff is so obvious and that I didn't explain myself well.  Any suggestions would be helpful... thank you for your time.

Re: ADA8200 preamp + Totalmix + outboard comp

I only know Cubase. In Cubase the management of external outboard HW is very easy.
You simply define an external device by telling input and output channels of your recording interface.
Then you can use it as VST.
Kind if "ping" tells Cubase the latency, so that latency compensation inside of the DAW can be performed.

In other DAWs it might be a little bit more to configure.
But at the end it boils down to the following steps.

In the DAW send audio to the HW output, where you connected the input(s) of the external device, e.g.: AN 3/4 OUT.
By this you will see audio in TM FX on that SW Playback Channel AN 3/4 OUT.
Remember, this middle row in TM FX is simply an "additional layer", so that you can send this signal finally to any HW output in the bottom row.
In submix mode click to "HW Output AN 3/4" in the bottom row and move any fader up of HW inputs (top row) and/or SW Playback channels (middle row). By this you can create the submix for this output channel. Hence the name submix mode. To make it more concrete, set the fader of SW Playback Channel AN3/4 to 0dB. By this you send the output of Cubase to AN3/4 which appears 1st in SW Playback channel AN3/4 finally to HW Output AN 3/4.
At this point you should see now a signal arriving on the input of the external device.

Ok .. lets assume for simplicity, that the outputs of the external device are connected to the corresponding inputs to HW Input AN 3/4. If the compressor sends audio, then you should see the signal arriving in TM FX top row at HW input AN 3/4.

What did we learn... TM FX passes all audio from inputs to the DAW. So .. now you should also see audio in your DAW at the input AN 3/4.

Thats it more or less. You only need to look how to implement this now in the DAW .. as insert in one track or as a send.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The way I read your post you have the ins and outs confused. In first part you say send to compressor through adat 8 return on adat 1
In the second part you say it the other way round...
Hope this is it!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks to both of you... I will try this again and report back.   Appreciate your time...

Salud!

vinark wrote:

The way I read your post you have the ins and outs confused. In first part you say send to compressor through adat 8 return on adat 1
In the second part you say it the other way round...
Hope this is it!

No luck yet... Which way should I make the proper connection, the way I described in part one of my thread, or part two?
If you have time, can you specifiy the correct routing?

Thank you for your time!!
Salud...

6 (edited by ramses 2020-12-30 10:15:15)

Here another drawing for routing external hw from blinky's thread, to understand the signal flow.
The additional text came from additional questions from him.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/heyqmpg42c5i4me/TM%20FX%20Routing%20External%20HW.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Just make it simple, ADA8200 output1 to compressor in. Compressor out to ADA8200 input 1.
Now play back some audio.
Go to totalmix. In the middle rows you should see audio being played back (make sure you are in submix mode).
Now to the bottom rows, click on the adat1 strip. Now in the middle row up the volume of the audio playback. Now you should see level on the bottom row adat 1. This means it is sending to the ADA. If everything is right you should now have audio going into the compressor  going back into the ADA and seeing the audio in totalmix in the top row on adat 1.

Vincent, Amsterdam

It worked, at least for the time being...thanks to you both!!!
Hope I can recreate my success the next time I start a project LOL
I appreciate your time and assistance...happy new year!

jcrakes wrote:

It worked, at least for the time being...thanks to you both!!!
Hope I can recreate my success the next time I start a project LOL
I appreciate your time and assistance...happy new year!

You too!
You might look into external fx in cubase (in the manual), from then on it is available in cubase without total mix setup.
Once you know it is working with TMFX so connected the right way it is easy to setup in cubase. Just assign the proper adat ports in the external fx setup.
Cheers

Vincent, Amsterdam