Topic: Using FF400 with modern PC laptop

Hi sorry if this info is already shared here but I searched around the forum and couldn't find it. I must finally replace my 2008 (!) Thinkpad with a modern version. I assume it's not possible to adapt Firewire over USB to continue using Fireface 400 (which I love.)
Should I get a DIGIFACE and go from FF400 via lightpipe to the new computer? Or is there another method I'm not thinking of? Computer stuff is not my forte...thanks to anyone / all for the help.
STRATEGY

2 (edited by ramses 2020-12-28 18:08:00)

Re: Using FF400 with modern PC laptop

It does not seem very practical to me to connect the FF400 in stand-alone mode via ADAT to a Digiface USB for the following reasons:

1. the FF400 has only one ADAT port, so only 8 channels can be transmitted in single speed (44.1/48 kHz).

2. the remaining 3 ADAT I/O ports of the Digiface USB are then without a concrete application. So you pay €349 but are using only 1 of 4 ADAT I/O ports.

3. you would still need a firewire connection so that the FF400 remains manageable.

In my opinion, it would be better to sell the FF400, with some luck you can get still a quite nice price for it and
use that money plus the €350, that you wanted to invest for a Digiface USB, to buy a new USB based interface instead.

Maybe Babyface Pro FS (€680) or Fireface UC (€824) or Fireface UCX (€1073).

What type of I/O ports do you need and how many of them ?

My Excel comparison sheet can help you to find the proper interface:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Excel File: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Using FF400 with modern PC laptop

Hi, thanks for this info it's really helpful. I need just 8 in and 8 out, so it's possible I'd look at Fireface UC, TBD. Quality is more important than quantity, but I have a 12-channel / 8-bus SECK mixing desk that will be my connection from the physical world to the audio interface --- so the 8 inputs of Fireface is really nice. 8 outputs I don't use very often because sometimes I mix in the box, other times in the hardware domain, depends on the project. 

I will probably keep this FF400 too because I am saving up for a Symbolic Sound Kyma system and the Paca / Pacarana hardware accelerator requires a FW interface for I/O, so FF400 would be a perfect companion for it-- I'd probably keep for this purpose instead of selling.