1 (edited by lukki 2018-10-30 05:51:04)

Topic: UCX loose DC plug

Is this normal or should I return the (brand new) device?

https://i.imgur.com/0ItGS3B.gif

- UCX still operates normally. There is no power cuts etc.
- The DC jack itself does not move.
- The UCX power supply plug does not wobble if I connect it to another device.
- The plug still wobbles if I connect another power supply to the UCX.

So the "problem" is the DC jack on the UCX.

edit: It also unplugs too easily, in my opinion.

Re: UCX loose DC plug

Feed the cable through the hook - problem solved.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am having the same issue (and a few friends of mine who have the same one experience this too), and unfortunately hook is not an option, it is still way too loose, it keeps unplugging when I plug my headphones (very carefully) even. Is there an update on this how to solve this? I have been taping the cable, but I am happy to invest to get this fixed. Any newer power supplies that would fix better? Or any other ideas? Thank you.

gagriciute wrote:

I am having the same issue (and a few friends of mine who have the same one experience this too), and unfortunately hook is not an option, it is still way too loose, it keeps unplugging when I plug my headphones (very carefully) even.

Please provide a video showing this effect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can't you screw it in? My one has this lock function, if I just plug it it is indeed very loose, but one or two rotations clockwise and it holds super tight.

The UCX (and UC) does not have a lockable socket.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

On the little plug of my UCX's power supply there is "lock" written and a little arrow. Maybe it does not lock in the socket when I turn it clockwise or firmly push it, but it definitely holds very tight in the socket then.
If I just push it in mildly, it sits very loose like described above.

I wrote about the unit, not the shipped power supply. Look at the socket of the unit: does the hole have two 'wing' cut-outs., so that the blades of the lockable PS connector can dive into the socket when pressed into it in the right position?

IMHO it doesn'tt, which would mean you got the wrong power supply. Or I am not up to date, and the UCX does have a lockable socket. One of both...

The lockable connectors definitely not work with non-lockable sockets. They fall out as soon as you touch them. For that reason we still offer both versions of power supplies when bought as accessory.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, it does not have cut-outs, so it must be the non-lockable socket. However, the lockable connector works great with it, as I described it above. Don't know if it will wear out the plastic in the long run, but so far so good...

So to summarize: you use the wrong power supply. The OP showed in its video that he uses the correct power supply with non-lockable connector. Anyone else complaining, like gagriciute in post 3, has to check that he uses the correct power supply.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

So to summarize: you use the wrong power supply. The OP showed in its video that he uses the correct power supply with non-lockable connector. Anyone else complaining, like gagriciute in post 3, has to check that he uses the correct power supply.

Thanks for your replies! I made a video with an original power supply and another one I had, both really lose as you can see. Lockable connector wouldn't go in. Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/8J3NjUTfp8w
I would really appreciate if you have any suggestions. Thanks

That was answered already in post 2.  And your video does not show that 'it keeps unplugging when I plug my headphones (very carefully)'. But that would be solved by the hook as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME