Topic: Totalmix & External Patchbay

I'm using the RME Fireface UFX II and an external hardware patchbay 48 port S-Patch Pro Samson.

Do I have to make any special routings in Totalmix that kind of match where my routings might be going on my patchbay?

Thanks

Fireface UFX II, Babyface Pro, Windows 10, Studio One 5

Re: Totalmix & External Patchbay

Inputs are easy, this is the audio signal that you patch to the inputs of your recording interface.
Except you use the loopback function of TM FX, then you have the audio signal from the corresponding output on the HW input.

Outputs are also quite simple: route SW Playback "x/y or x" to HW Output "x/y or x", depending on whether the channels are configured as stereo or mono.
1. ensure you are in submix mode (right side, blue field)
2. click to HW output AN 1/2, move fader of SW Playback AN 1/2 to 0db, turn down all other fader of SW playback channels
3. on the right side under Layout Presets click to "Sub", which is a toggle switch, if enabled it shows only those channels from HW inputs and SW playback, which route a signal to your selected HW output aka "submix". This is the easiest way to check, whether the routing for a submix is correct, especially if your recording interface has a lot of channels.
4. Repeat step #2 for all other HW Outputs, done.

Maybe its easier for you to imagine 1st TM FX "DAW mode", when the Software Playback Channels / TM FX routing does not exist. Then you route everything in the DAW. Audio from HW inputs is passed to the DAW and what you send in the DAW to an output is directly send to the HW output of the recording interface.
From this you can deduce that you simply need to ensure to send audio to HW output AN3/4 simply to HW output AN 3/4, not more not less.
Now back to TotalMix FX normal operation mode, so you need to route Audio
- from SW Playback Channel AN 3/4 (audio that comes from the application)
- to HW Output Channel AN 3/4 (the real / physical outputs of your recording interface)
AND .. by TotalMix FX you have the flexibility to route this audio also to other HW outputs / aka submixes as you like/need (phones, monitors,...).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by blinky 2020-12-28 04:21:19)

ramses wrote:

Inputs are easy, this is the audio signal that you patch to the inputs of your recording interface.
Except you use the loopback function of TM FX, then you have the audio signal from the corresponding output on the HW input.

Outputs are also quite simple: route SW Playback "x/y or x" to HW Output "x/y or x", depending on whether the channels are configured as stereo or mono.
1. ensure you are in submix mode (right side, blue field)
2. click to HW output AN 1/2, move fader of SW Playback AN 1/2 to 0db, turn down all other fader of SW playback channels
3. on the right side under Layout Presets click to "Sub", which is a toggle switch, if enabled it shows only those channels from HW inputs and SW playback, which route a signal to your selected HW output aka "submix". This is the easiest way to check, whether the routing for a submix is correct, especially if your recording interface has a lot of channels.
4. Repeat step #2 for all other HW Outputs, done.

Maybe its easier for you to imagine 1st TM FX "DAW mode", when the Software Playback Channels / TM FX routing does not exist. Then you route everything in the DAW. Audio from HW inputs is passed to the DAW and what you send in the DAW to an output is directly send to the HW output of the recording interface.
From this you can deduce that you simply need to ensure to send audio to HW output AN3/4 simply to HW output AN 3/4, not more not less.
Now back to TotalMix FX normal operation mode, so you need to route Audio
- from SW Playback Channel AN 3/4 (audio that comes from the application)
- to HW Output Channel AN 3/4 (the real / physical outputs of your recording interface)
AND .. by TotalMix FX you have the flexibility to route this audio also to other HW outputs / aka submixes as you like/need (phones, monitors,...).

First, Ramses...I have to say you are an incredible help. The time you take here for people is out of this world. So thanks yet again to you. smile

I have routed all inputs and outputs that I need via/ into and from a Samson 48 port patchbay. That way I can manually/ physically route any preamp to any compressor or eq. I can also route any recorded track in my DAW to any compressor or eq. I can do this just by using patch cables on the front of the Patchbay. This is my preferred method of routing.

I THINK...or I WONDER if all these combinations of routing can be done purely in Totalmix. Something tells me it can. Be that as it may...I have decided to use a hardware patchbay. Anyway, let me go on...

You say "inputs are easy"...you mean inputs such as from preamps and hardware compressor or eq units? In my setup (I use the Ferrofish Pulse 16 to help with extra i/o) I use 11 inputs: 4 preamp inputs, 5 hardware compressor channels and 2 hardware EQ.

In terms of outputs, I have used AN1&2 to my main monitors, AN3&4 to my secondary monitors and AN9&10 and AN11&12 going to headphones. That leaves AN5, 6, 7 and 8 on the RME Fireface that I don't use.

For further outputs I use ADAT 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 from the Ferrofish Pulse.

All of these Ins and Outs run into the patchbay. And so therefore all the i/o are accessible to me in one physical location.

Everything is cabled correctly...and it all works, as I'll explain next.

So...in Totalmix DAW mode 1:1....all routings work perfectly...for instance when I route (for example) a vocal track out of my DAW to a compressor...it routes back into the DAW for real time processing. Perfect. Everything is working well.

The drawback (for me) of Totalmix DAW mode is that now I lose my ability to change, with the click of a button, between monitoring AN1&2 (Main), AN3&4 (Speaker B) and AN9&10 and AN11&12.  To change or select which of these outputs I want to hear I have to make the selection inside my DAW...or in Windows when NOT using the DAW/ Studio One.

This is not TOO painful...but in full mode Totalmix it is easier to quickly select the output I want to hear. (Main, Speaker B or the 2 headphones) And it is convenient to have the Main monitors playing and be able to quickly put my headphones on if I want to do so, etc.

BUT...here's my issue. When operating Totalmix in full functioning mode I am in the dark about how to "set it and forget it". It seems to me that if I'm using a hardware patchbay I would need to configure routing in TM. For instance...the vocal routing I just described above, as working perfectly in TM DAW mode, in TM Full functioning mode I seem to be monitoring double returns or double signals coming back from the compressor.

There is a metallic or phasey kind of a sound on what I am hearing when routing out to a compressor and hearing the return in Full Mode TM. It suggests to me that somehow I am accidentally routing the return from the compressor on, say,  AN input 1....AND say on a software channel...or something. I can't work out why the signal is phasey or weird. So I can't describe what is wrong...I can only describe that the return signal sounds metallic or phasey...like there are two or more returns of the same signal being heard. In DAW mode 1:1 the signal returns perfectly clean. In full TM mode it returns weird/ not right. So that tells me that something is wrong with my TM configuration.

So, sorry for such a long message/ question...but your reply above...are you saying that I CAN configure routings in TM Full function mode where the return signal I monitor will be normal as it is in TM DAW mode? That doing the routings in a hardware patchbay will be fine and I can still use Full TM Mode?

Because I would prefer to use TM Full function mode because it lets me easily change the AN out monitoring.

Hope you understand what I'm on about.

Thanks

4 (edited by ramses 2020-12-28 12:27:23)

You're welcome wink

> You say "inputs are easy"...you mean inputs such as from preamps and hardware compressor or eq units?

I mean the HW inputs in contrast to the HW outputs in TM FX, because at the HW inputs there is no routing.
Signals from HW inputs are always passed to the application (DAW).
Except if you use loopback as I mentioned.

> There is a metallic or phasey kind of a sound on what I am hearing when routing out to a compressor
> and hearing the return in Full Mode TM.

Check your TM FX routing, maybe this diagram helps to understand the complete signal flow.
In this constructed case the solution would be:
1. check that you are in submix mode
2. click to HW Output AN 1/2
3. move fader of HW Input AN 3/4 down, to not hear this signal twice and "earlier" compared to the rest coming from DAW

https://www.dropbox.com/s/heyqmpg42c5i4me/TM%20FX%20Routing%20External%20HW.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by blinky 2020-12-28 12:47:42)

Thank you...before I check all this can I ask why you are referring to HW AN3&4 input so much? Testing all this out, I am using an external stereo compressor. I try to send the Master Bus out of my DAW, into the compressor and back into the DAW. Sending out I go by ADAT 1&2 Out. On the return I come back in RME 1&2 In.

However there seems to be too many channels playing in the Software row of Totalmix

I want to add that I tried Totalmix DAW mode and it worked really very well....however I think even in this mode somehow I was monitoring more than 1 input. When I engaged the hardware stereo compressor I think I was hearing it's return on RME Input 1&2......AND I was hearing a Software playback from my DAW.......making the signal seem louder than it should have been.

DAW mode seems easier for me to figure out....but how can I make sure that I am not monitoring more than one return/ signal in DAW mode?

Thanks, and sorry for my lack of knowledge.

6 (edited by ramses 2020-12-28 15:11:57)

> Before I check all this can I ask why you are referring to HW AN3&4 input so much

EDIT: It's simply an example. As 1/2 OUT is usually already connected to the main monitors I use 3/4 IN + OUT
as the next free pair of ports so that inputs and outputs for one device have the same number, easier to remember.

> However there seems to be too many channels playing in the Software row of Totalmix

EDIT: I fixed the drawing, now it seems fine by me.

> DAW mode seems easier for me to figure out....

EDIT: Yes. But then the routing complexity is on the DAW side and fully depends on what the DAW supports.
Definitive disadvantage is, that you have no possibility anymore for near zero-latency routing as all signals have the RTL over USB which becomes biggger with higher workloads which require an increase of ASIO buffer size.

> but how can I make sure that I am not monitoring more than one return/ signal in DAW mode?

EDIT: Thats a DAW question.

EDIT: think I made a mistake in the drawing and cleaned up now.
External effect is now implemented as a send for one DAW track as an example.me look whether I can get it proper with not too many effort.

7 (edited by ramses 2020-12-28 15:12:22)

Ok pls re-check picture in post #4

1. Given .. a sound track in your DAW
2. In DAW you configure external Device (e.g. compressor) as a "Send"
3. ok you have a certain latency now (RTL)
    Cubase calculates and compensates automatically for this delay by pinging through this device (or a chain of devices)
4. The compressed signal will be send to the output of the track
     Remember, each DAW track has an input and an output ...

Drawing should be ok now.

Thanks ramses...I'll test what you say.

In the meantime, are you saying that all the output channels that have the "loopback" option I should enable loopback?

9 (edited by ramses 2020-12-28 23:05:30)

> In the meantime, are you saying that all the output channels that have the "loopback" option I should enable loopback?

No, what I told in post #2 and referred to in post #4 was simply for informational reasons, not that you need it now.

"Inputs are easy, this is the audio signal that you patch to the inputs of your recording interface. Except you use the loopback function of TM FX, then you have the audio signal from the corresponding output on the HW input."

If you would enable loopback on HW output 3/4 then you would receive this output on your corresponding inputs.
But this makes no sense.
On the input you do not want to have the signal that you send to the external device, you want the signal that you receive from your external device.

Yes you are right. I will go and do some hands on testing today.

Thank you. I'll try what you have said.

One other thing....I don't understand why in my DAW if I set my Master Bus output to RME Analogue Out 1 & 2..........why can I also hear the output on the 2 headphones and on Ch Out 3 & 4, my secondary monitors??

If the Master Channel/ 2 bus in my DAW specifies the Out is An Out 1&2....how come I still hear the other 3 outputs?

I don't get that

12 (edited by ramses 2020-12-29 11:48:16)

Then you most likely use TM FX Full mode.

Remember, if you route something in the application/daw to AN 1/2 OUT, then it is not like in DAW mode, that audio is directly being send to the real output of your recording interface.

Instead of this audio is being send to a "layer in between", the "software playback channels". From there you can make the final routing decision and route the signal to one or more HW outputs.

One use case of this could be, that you and your friend use phones1 and phones2 and you want to hear the same DAW submix.

In the picture above (post #2) this is similar to use case "(2)".
Same: DAW sends audio to AN1/2 OUT and in TM FX you have a routing to
- HW Output 1/2
- Phones 1

This combination of "Sw playback channels" and "HW outputs" is like a patchfield.

And if you look closely in submix mode. If you click to a couple of HW outputs in the bottom row, like AN1/2, AN3/4,
then you see the same "AN1/2", "AN3/4" at the bottom of each fader of HW inputs (top), SW Playback channels (middle row).
TM FX gives you the flexibility to create for every HW Output a submix of its own which is a combination of audio coming from the HW inputs and audio coming from the PC.
Hence the name submix mode.
Or in other words, TM FX gives you the possibility to have as many submixes as you have HW outputs.

EDIT: another fix for the drawing, dotted line for HW inputs has to start from the inputs of the recording interface, not from the external device.

Yes I want to use Full Mode.

I guess if I send the mix out via Ferrofish ADAT 1&2 and return via RME 1&2 input...the routing in Totalmix should not be hard.

14 (edited by ramses 2020-12-29 13:39:13)

blinky wrote:

Yes I want to use Full Mode.

I guess if I send the mix out via Ferrofish ADAT 1&2 and return via RME 1&2 input...the routing in Totalmix should not be hard.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean with "the mix" and "1&2 input".
With the UFX II you have: AN 1/2 and ADAT 1/2 IN.

Can you please re-phrase ? What is the question/demand ?

If the question is whether outboard equipment can also be connected to the Ferrofish, then the answer is yes.
You use simply other channels ... Instead of e.g. AN 3/4 IN/OUT then it is ADAT x/y IN/OUT.

15 (edited by blinky 2020-12-29 22:05:16)

Ramses, can I upload an image here? Then you will see exactly my i/o.

What I mean by the "mix" is the song that I am mixing in Studio One (my DAW software). The mix of the song routes out (with Studio One's external hardware routing plugin called "Pipeline") from the Master Bus...Pipeline routes the song mix OUT via Ferrofish ADAT 1&2 which feed into my patchb ay....my external hardware patchbay routes that signal into my stereo compressor...the signal then comes out of my stereo compressor, through the patchbay and the compressed signal comes back into my DAW (using Pipeline) on RME input channels 1&2.

> Can I upload an image here?
Yes.

The image is on my computer. How can I attach it to a message?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29217

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by blinky 2020-12-30 04:14:59)

Thanks MC. Let's see if this works.

The image is an image of my hardware patchbay showing all cables connected. I've labelled my image with:

Dak Pre = preamp
LA610 = preamp
HA73 = preamp
Grace = preamp

Dak Fet = Stereo Compressor
KTEQ = Hardware EQ
KT76 = compressor
KT2A = compressor

"RME" 1, 2, 3, 4 etc = physical inputs
"PULSE" 1, 2, 3 etc = Ferrofish ADAT i/o

"DAW INPUTS" = physical inputs via Fireface UFX II and Ferrofish
"DAW OUTPUTS" = physical outputs via Fireface UFX II and Ferrofish

"Hardware Outs" = outputs from preamps, compressors, eq's
"Hardware inputs" = inputs to preamps, compressors, eq's

So I use the patchbay in my rack to route and connect all the hardware units listed above.

My DAW is Studio One 5. In Studio One...there is a plugin that can be placed on mono or stereo tracks (such as a mono vocal channel, a stereo drum bus or a stereo Master Bus). The plugin is called "Pipeline". It is simply a routing plugin that sends signal from the DAW out to hardware and then routes in back into the DAW.

For example...let's say I have finished my song mix and I want to now send the Master Bus out to a hardware stereo compressor. I can use "Pulse" 1 & 2. So I will set the "send" in Pipeline to Pulse 1 and 2 out and it will send that stereo signal to my patchbay. On my patchbay I make the necessary physical patch cable routings to send that signal to the compressor...and then out of the compressor back into the patchbay where I direct Pipeline to return the signal on "RME" 1 & 2.

In my DAW I would like to hear the wet sound as returned from the compressor. That's all. I would like to use Totalmix Full mode so I can switch easily between Main, Speaker B and 2 headphones.

My external patchbay is handling the routing to and from the compressor.

But I don't know how to make the settings in Totalmix to properly SEND from PULSE 1&2 and RETURN to RME 1&2........and hear in MAIN, Speaker B and the 2 headphones only the compressed signal that came from the compressor.

I'm really sorry for being so troublesome or dumb about this. I'll try to upload my PATCHBAY image and maybe you will know what I mean.

See...there are variables...my routing is NOT ALL in Totalmix......I have the patchbay doing physical routing AND I have the Pipeline plugin in Studio One routing internally.

PunBB bbcode

The image is not working.

Here is the image link from dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/h?preview=20201227_133429.jpg

When clicking to this dropbox link it forces me to login, this is strange.
And when looking at the URL its also strange, usually I get URLs which DO NOT include preview.
They simply work and download the content when you click to it.
Please "share" this dropbox content according to this:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

21 (edited by blinky 2020-12-30 10:24:10)

The sketch is of my hardware patchbay representing the i/o cabled into the back of the patchbay. How about this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqc1twc5wu302ri/20201227_133429.jpg?dl=1

22 (edited by ramses 2020-12-30 11:26:59)

And what is the question ? Still these two ?

> But I don't know how to make the settings in Totalmix to properly SEND from PULSE 1&2 and RETURN to RME 1&2
> ........and hear in MAIN, Speaker B and the 2 headphones only the compressed signal that came from the compressor.

My recommendation to you:

1. Simplify: you are taking on too much at once. Work without patchbay 1st. Familiarise yourself with TotalMix FX before adding more complexity with a patchbay. By this you also break down problems into easier to solve pieces.

2. Priorization: concentrate on those things first, which are easier to solve. This way you will become familiar with TM FX and you will achieve success more quickly. Afterwards it will be easier for you to solve the more demanding configuration parts.

3.1 In your drawing I would add the RME port names. These are the names you need to have in mind when working with TM FX. So instead of phrasing "to properly SEND from PULSE 1&2 and RETURN to RME 1&2" I would be more concrete and use also the proper source and destination port names to make it clearer to you when it comes to the configuration of TM FX routing.
3.2 Again, simplify .. break it down in pieces... To connect an external device you have to perform two things:
a) connect the output of the external device to a HW input
b) connect an HW output to the input of the external device.
Next step is to think about routing, what you want to send to this external device.
Submix mode, click to that HW output, create the submix .. what I explained several times.

Easier things are:
A) routing to monitors and phones, a step by step guide has been provided on tonstudio-forum.de.
This solves already one part of your question.

B) the connection and routing for your external device has also been explained and is easier if you break also this task down into pieces as explained in 3.2. Use the TM FX names when it comes to routing. When it comes to routing you only need to look from the perspective of a particular HW output that sends audio to an external device.

4. if everything works as expected, then start migrating to patchbay on a per device basis. Then the routing part is already done, then you only need to look that you do not make a mistake with the cabling. But as everything other works already in the area of routing, TM FX, DAW routing then you will find out much quicker whether there is a cabling problem or not.
And do not everything at once, do it piece by piece. Maybe the monitors 1st, then the 1st external device and so on.

First, thank you very much for taking the time to help out. You are very kind to people here.

Second...I think before I didn't know what I was really asking, because I didn't understand enough to ask an informed question.

Third...I appreciate all the explanations you gave and I understand Totalmix much better these last couple of days and more so today.

Fourth...I'm certain all cabling to and from patchbay is fine. All I want to hear in my monitors is the main output of the DAW/ Studio One.

I think I can do what I was trying to ask before. I think I will work it out.

So thankyou very much ramses

smile

24 (edited by ramses 2020-12-30 13:32:21)

> All I want to hear in my monitors is the main output of the DAW/ Studio One.

And this is not too hard to implement.
1. In DAW set your main output to a channel of your choice, e.g. AN 3/4 OUT.
    After that you will see audio in TM FX SW Playback Channel AN 3/4

Further assumed:
- that you main monitors/speakers are connected to AN 1/2 OUT
- that phones are connected to AN9/10 and AN11/12 out (the usual phones output of the UFX II)
- that in TM FX submix mode is still enabled (btw, no reason to change this, its the easiest mode IMHO)

2. TM FX, in bottom row select HW Output AN 1/2     (Main/Speaker), raise fader of SW Playback Ch AN 3/4 (audio from DAW)
    Now you have the main output of DAW routed from SW Playback 3/4 to Main Monitors
3. TM FX, in bottom row select HW Output AN 9/10   (Phones 1),        raise fader of SW Playback Ch AN 3/4 (audio from DAW)
    Now you have the main output of DAW routed from SW Playback 3/4 to Phones1
4. TM FX, in bottom row select HW Output AN 11/12 (Phones 2),        raise fader of SW Playback Ch AN 3/4 (audio from DAW)
    Now you have the main output of DAW routed from SW Playback 3/4 to Phones2

Thats it.

25 (edited by ramses 2020-12-30 15:50:36)

To see how nicely you can organize your audio streams on the PC ...
The number of SW playback channels of course matches with the number of HW Outputs.
Every HW output is a submix of its own (from flexibility of mixing compareable to Aux Channels on a Mixer).
So with TM FX you can have as many submixes as you have HW outputs.
Look how nicely you can use TM FX to
- separate the audio streams (on application side you simply send audio to the one or other output)
- then in TM FX you click in submix mode to a HW output and create a customized submix for this HW Output by raising / lowering the faders of HW inputs (not in this drawing but of course they are there) and of SW Playback channels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxkolbbi60pd1n1/TM%20FX%20Audio%20Stream%20Separation%20via%20SW%20Playback%20Channels.jpg?dl=1

I mentioned already in other postings how easy it is in TM FX to handle even such situations:
You are playing a game and want to listen in parallel to a Youtube video giving some information to the game.
And while you are playing the game and listening to the Youtube video I want to listen additionally to some backbround music.

So I click to my phones output (HW Output 9/10) and raise/lower the fader of
- SW Playback Channel 1/2 (Sound from the OS / Youtube, via the WDM device)
- SW Playback Channel 3/4 (Sound from MusicBee, supports ASIO, can be send directly to proper channel)
- SW Playback Channel 5/6 (Sound from Game, some games can be configured to send audio to another channel that the Windows Sound device, in this case via a 2nd WDM driver for Analog 5/6).

Voila, this is the true flexibility of TM FX...
I think that some bits and pieces of information from this are surely also useful for you, so that you can plan properly how to distribure the audio so that you do not have to make the routing part twice, Blinky.

Brilliant ramses...just excellent.

My main out from DAW I always set as ch 1/2, I guess because my main monitors are fed by ch1/2.
Windows sounds, youtube, VLC media player etc also are set to ch 1/2.

In the past my fader settings were just like you describe...choose the output and raise fader I want to hear. No worries.

I got confused because Studio One will internally route audio. I wondered if I needed to raise and or lower faders on behalf of the Studio One internal routing.

But I think I realise all I need to hear is the main output from Studio One in this case.

So, I think I am ok. I'll always refer to this thread if I have troubles, as now like I said before I do understand TM FX much better because of your help.

Thanks smile

27 (edited by ramses 2020-12-30 23:10:32)

Nice to hear, you're welcome ;-)
Then good luck with the implementation.

28 (edited by blinky 2021-01-02 22:19:39)

BEWARE: Long post. If you want to read more accurately WHAT MY QUESTION REALLY WAS....and the SOLUTION...read on. But be aware...IT'S LONG:

The QUESTION:

***Please note that "Pipeline" is a plugin for the DAW "Studio One" that can be inserted on any mono or stereo channel...it allows routing of that channel to and from external hardware. It "pipes" the signal out to an external compressor or eq or whatever...and back into the DAW again.

****There is an image in post #21 of my hardware Patchbay. Most things are labelled. "PULSE" refers to the Ferrofish Pulse 16...an ADAT i/o expansion unit.

****** If you want to see the image please refer to my earlier post (post #21)  in this thread.

My big problem to this point has been in actually describing what I'm trying to do and actually describing the problem blocking my way. I don't have the lingo or understanding to put in words what I want to do. And happy new year to you too!

Basically what I think is going on is I need to grapple with Pipeline & Totalmix...and their interrelationship. But there is also an external hardware patchbay in play as well. But one thing at a time.

When Totalmix is set to "DAW Mode" (a simplified version of Totalmix which is described as 1:1 routing) everything is fine...which tells me all patchbay connections and ALL "physical cable routing" is correct. No worries there. Cables are good. During TRACKING I can route any of my 4 preamp channels to any of my 5 compressors or 2 eq's. During MIXING I can use Pipeline to route any track/ bus/ master output to any external compressor or eq. So...all good. The physical connections are right. The virtual and physical routings are correct. And what's more....Pipeline works no problem in Totalmix DAW Mode.

The only bad thing about Totalmix DAW Mode is that you lose the convenience of switching easily between (in my case 4) monitoring outputs: Main monitors, Speaker B and 2 Headphones. In DAW mode I can not control these outputs...I have to control the output I want to hear on the Studio One master channel out. As you can imagine, when mixing you may want to be changing between a couple of different Headphones and also listening on your main monitors and "B" monitors in order to check your mix on a number of sources. In Totalmix DAW mode I would have to constantly go to the Studio One master out and specify the output. Very inconvenient and slow. In Totalmix Full Function Mode...the output is ALWAYS available in both Headphones and the MAIN or "B" monitors are a click away in Totalmix. In fact in Full Function mode if I'm mixing mainly on my MAIN monitors I don't have to do anything...they can remain on and I can throw on either headphone whenever I want and the output signal from Studio One is always there.

Having never used Pipeline before (or ever having the need for it because I never had external hardware gear...I was all in the box) I was used to just picking up either of my 2 Headphones and the signal would be there. Or of un-"dimming" the main monitors and listening to them...or switching to Speaker B. I could do this because I was in full Totalmix mode...NOT DAW Mode.

I only use DAW mode to indicate to myself and satisfy my mind that all physical cabling is accurate. And it is.

Totalmix DAW Mode is great...but I can't change output monitoring easily.
Totalmix Full Mode is also great...but with Pipeline active on the Master channel out in Studio One........I can't hear anything!!

So, I hope, where you can help is in..............what do I have to do in Totalmix Full Function mode to successfully allow Pipeline to do its thing.......AND then be able to hear ONLY the output of Studio One. Because as you said...You likely won't need to hear this signal before it returns to a DAW via insert (Pipeline) plugin. You'll be listening just to complete output from your DAW master, which will be routed to outputs, where you have your monitors or Headphones.

And that.............in a MASSIVE NUTSHELL.....is what I want to do/ know/ learn.

I know it's doable...because Totalmix DAW mode does it no worries.

I need to know how to do it in Totalmix Full Function mode.

NOW THE ANSWER:

****From "Michal" of the Gears...z forums

Here is what I'd do with some explanations.

- open TM in full mode.

- menu Options > Reset Mix > Total Reset

- menu Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback

- assign speaker A and speaker B to respective physical outputs in mon. section.

What you send to speaker A (say software playback Analog 1-2) will be automatically send also to output designated as speaker B. In another words, both submixes are automatically mirrored.

- assign output for Phones 1

Submix for Phones doesn't mirror Speaker output by default. This will allow you to make individual submixes for speakers and Headphones. However if you use Headphones for your own monitoring (as opposed to monitoring for some artist/talent), you likely would like to hear exact same thing like in speakers.
To enable mirroring from speakers to phones, right click to speaker output fader cap, select "Copy/Mirror output MAIN".
Then right click at phones fader cap and select "Mirror of Output MAIN".
There is also option to paste submix from MAIN, but this is only one time copy of submix, mirror means, those submixes became permanently linked.
This way everything you'll send to speakers (for example via Analog 1-2 output from a DAW) will be automatically heard also in your Headphones.

- save this settings as a snapshot and label that as Straight or Mixing for example
You have eight available mix snapshots at right side of TM. Just hit Store button there and select one of eight slots.

This will be your base setting for mixing with 1:1 routing of software playback channels to physical outputs.
Your main DAW output will be say analog 1-2 (or where you have your speakers A).
At insert plugin you'll select respective input and output channels, where the device is connected.
So for example if you'd like to use pair of your Beheringer Plultecs at master, you'll use stereo insert plugin and select ADAT 3-4 (Pulse 3-4) as a send and then Analog 7-8 as return.

Finally you can make a copy of this snapshot to another slot and modify it according to your needs for tracking duties.
You might need some low latency hardware monitoring for this use. So you just activate particular submix in TM by clicking to respective output fader in bottom row and raise desired physical input fader.
For example you might like to hear input 4 coming from Grace preamp, which will be normalled to this input at the patchbay. You will click to Headphones fader in bottom row and then raise fourth fader in top row.

By having two (or more) saved snapshots in TM, you can easily switch between straight mixing setup and tracking setup with hardware monitoring enabled.

CONCLUSION:

And that is it.

Ramses, if you are reading this...I include this solution (from a guy called Michal at the very popular Gear.... forum) in case anyone else is wondering how to do what I wanted to do.

This works PERFECTLY for me.

In fact the solution is VERY EASY....it is basically a PRESET in Totalmix!!!!

Whatever makes you happy is also good to me wink

It might give you a better start as is mimicries DAW mode.

What happens is this:
Sw Playback Channel 1/2 will be routed to Hardware Output 1/2
Sw Playback Channel 3/4 will be routed to Hardware Output 3/4
Sw Playback Channel 5/6 will be routed to Hardware Output 5/6
Sw Playback Channel 7/8 will be routed to Hardware Output 7/8
etc.

See also manual ch 25.10: Straight Playback.
All Playback channels are routed 1:1 to the Hardware outputs. The faders in the third row are not changed.

Maybe some parts of our conversation are still useful for you to customize some of the submixes now to your exact demand.

Good luck with further changes, do not forget to make backups of snapshots and workplace to your disk.

Whats also useful: to use the Quick Workspace Select slots.
If you save your current settings to Quick Slot 1 and a Modification of that to Slot #2, then you can switch between these two settings with ALT-1 and ALT-2 if the TM FX window is open and the active window.

ramses you always make me happy here at the RME forums with your willingness to help people.

I really admire that

smile