1 (edited by mruebsamen 2021-01-04 12:31:08)

Topic: product recommendation.... 8 channel AES/EBU input

Hi,
I decided to buy a Quantec 2498 room simulator, which has a 8 channels input and out as four AES/EBU inputs/outputs. The digiface comes certainly in my mind. But I noticed that it has just optical inputs and outputs :-(
Since we have Macs the HDSPe AES is not an option as well :-(
Do you have any other idea?

Re: product recommendation.... 8 channel AES/EBU input

Macs with or without Thunderbolt ?

I assume you mean 8 channels = 4x AES I/O (Stereo Ports) ?

What interface you have now or do you also require a new recording interface ?

Otherwise any interface with MADI interface and an
- ADI-642 (MADI <-> 4x AES)
alternatively
- Octamic XTC which also offers 4x AES, then you can use the XTC either as Mic Preamp or format converter

Or if you need a new interface anyway and want to make it as inexpensive as possible and up to double speed for all channels: ADAT based:
- Madiface USB (4x ADAT) and
- ADI-192 DD  https://archiv.rme-audio.de/products/adi_192_dd.php

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

sorry my fault... We have a MadiFace Pro, m32AD pro (the AVB one), digiface avb and 2 Prism Orpheus (each with one AES/EBU and one ADAT Port)...
We were looking for something easy / chip like the digiface usb. Unfortunately it has just optical in- & outputs. Ocatmic CTX looks interesting, but we have more than enough his-end mic pres...

Madiface Pro ok.
So what about ADI-642 (MADI <-> 4x AES) that I proposed already to you ?
Whats all connected to it though MADI ? Only the M32 Pro AD ?

Even if the M32 Pro AD should use all MADI input channels of one MADI Bus of the MADIface Pro, then you still have enough MADI output channels free out of the 64ch. Then you could connect and map the channels to the ADI-642 for 4xAES out.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

pretty expensive solution... a digiface usb is about € 375 while the ADI 642 is about € 2.500. I guess I have to try it with another manufacturer (even though I told myself: never go with another company smile
Motu has the 8d, which is avb and USB and has 8 channels of digital I&O for about € 600.
But I think I will get a digiface USB anyways to bring our old Ramsa DA7 back to life again (if needed :-))
Thank you

6 (edited by ramses 2021-01-04 22:16:16)

You didn't tell yet whether your Mac supports thunderbolt.
Then you could use an external Thunderbolt enclosure and use RME PCIe cards which are not so expensive.

Mac Pro with 6 thunderbolt 2 and MacBook Pro 16 with 4 USBc / thunderbolt 3.
You are right, that could be a solution. But I never checked this out. Is there something to consider?
Thanks ramses

Look at the products from e.g. Sonnet
PCIe Card Expansion Systems for
Thunderbolt 2: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/thun … stems.html
Thunderbolt 3: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/thun … stems.html

Danke smile

10 (edited by ramses 2021-01-05 08:18:21)

Bitte gerne wink  I have another idea on this topic, maybe it also fits into your planning / setup, now that you are considering using external PCIe enclosures.

I don't know your setup exactly, but you seem to have some MADI devices in use and devices like the M32 Pro with its 32 channels at double speed already occupy a complete MADI bus (inputs or outputs depending on the model, AD or DA).

With the amount of channels needed in MADI, such a PCIe expansion enclosure would also allow you to consider the HDSPe MADI FX card. The PCIe 390ch card offers three MADI busses (2x optical, 1x coaxial). With the optionally available daughter card HDSPe OPTO-X, the third bus can also be configured optically.

The interesting thing about this card, apart from the number of channels, is the special resource-saving driver that does not keep all channels permanently active. It groups all channels in groups of 8. Computer resources from driver are only occupied if at least one channel in such a group is active in the DAW. With clever use of the channels, this reduces the load on the computer caused by the driver.

The other features of this card are also very interesting: analogue I/O for headphones, Word Clock, MIDI I/O, MIDI over MADI, FX chip, AES interface. The AES interface could be used e.g. to directly connect an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for monitoring via speakers or headphones and using the special ADI-2 Pro features.

One application of such a card with 3 MADI busses is also, to be able to distribute the devices according to the type of remote control that you are doing. You might know / remember, that "Auxdevice" and "MIDI remote" can not be used at the same time on one a MADI bus. By the three MADI busses you can put e.g. preamps with Auxdevice support on MADI Bus1, devices requiring MIDI remote to MADI bus 2 and other devices that need a lot of I/O channels like the M-32 you could connect to MADI bus 3 (they are remote controllable via Ethernet) so on that bus you are free to connect any other type of device if there are still channels free and use either Auxdevice or MIDI remote.

Just an idea. Its a fine card, you can see my review here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Pro-FS-BE/