1 (edited by mrfr0sty78 2021-01-05 03:38:26)

Topic: Low Mic Volume in Windows 10

Hi,
New owner of a Fireface UCX.  One issue that I cannot work out is how to increase the microphone volume in Windows 10?

The volume in TotalMix is very loud.  However, in Windows (PowerPoint Narration) it is very very low (check screenshot).

Signal chain is:
SM7B > Klark Teknik CT-1 > Fireface UCX

Originally, I did not have the CT-1 inline booster, and presumed my issue was due to low gain.  Now I have enough gain in TotalMix to hear my wife coughing through two concrete rooms (15M away).  But, in Windows it is whisper quiet??

What setting/routing am I missing?

https://i.ibb.co/QJy3735/W10-Mic-Volume-Low.jpg

Re: Low Mic Volume in Windows 10

As a side note. There is no issue with ASIO.  I can record with good volume using the same TotalMix settings with Ableton Live.

The problem I need help with is purely a Windows 10, WDM - volume issue.

3 (edited by mrfr0sty78 2021-01-05 05:43:41)

Ok, I think I've managed to work it out.

There doesn't appear to be a relationship between the Hardware Input slider in TotalMix and Windows volume.

Only the Gain knob in TotalMix seems to affect the Windows volume.

Previously, when the gain was higher, I was being deafened in TotalMix, but could only hear a whisper in Windows.

The solution was:
1. Put the TotalMix Hardware Input slider down to the very bottom (no sound in headphones)
2. Turn the TotalMix Gain up, until the Mic volume shows it's high enough in Windows Sound Settings
3. Slowly increase the Hardware Input slider so you can hear the Mic in your headphones

Hope this helps someone else! big_smile

Indeed only the Gain control affects the physical (analog) signal level before AD conversion..

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Other than the Gain knob, which you state is 'before AD conversion', is there any other way in TotalMix to increase the volume of WDM Analog (1+2)? i.e. after AD conversion?

As far as inputs are concerned, no, or little point trying to do so. The recording application picks up signal directly at the input, Totalmix is not involved.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, understood thanks Daniel.

The reason I was asking is that Ableton (ASIO) picks up the input signal with a much higher gain than Windows (WDM).  I can't do much about Windows though, as it's already at 100% volume.

ASIO and WDM record will have the same digital level. But if you want to try:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 70#p161970

With the UCX it's even easier, Gain control in the Dyn section.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME