Topic: Combining fireface 802 with UCX?

Hello,
Would anyone be so kind as to offer some advice.
I have just swapped a UCX for a fireface 802 as I need more inputs.
My plan was to connect 2 behringer ada 8200's via adat to the 802. I have connected 1 ada 8200 and was planning on ordering a second with the intentions on selling the UCX.
However, would it be a better option to keep UCX and combine that with the 802?
Is this possible by just connecting via 2nd adat i/o?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2 (edited by ramses 2021-01-08 14:10:00)

Re: Combining fireface 802 with UCX?

Simply depends on the port (type) / quality that you want from the ports.

At the end of the day ADAT allows you to transfer 8ch at single speed, what type of channels you route from/to ADAT is full up to you and only depends on the devices capabilites.

The 8200 can deliver to you either 8 Mic or 8 line inputs and 8 analog outputs.

The UCX gives you the flexibility to have a 2nd (backup) and quite compact / portable device where mic and analog ports might also have a little higher overall quality and the possibility to run ports with double or even quad speed (with limited amount of channels -> 8 / 4 / 2 (single / double / quad speed).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I would suggest there is another benefit of having both a 802 and an UCX in your setup: you will always have a backup if the 802 should fail.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Thanks for the replies.

Can I connect the ucx and 802 with just the adat and with one set to master clock and the other as slave?
The 802 is connected to computer using usb.

Yes sure.
Keep the UCX connected so that its still operateable.
You can use the same TM FX instance and switch between the two interfaces or simply open a new TM FX instances,
so that you have one for the 802 and the other for the UCX.
Once you have maybe reached a point with some fix settings, then you can store different settings in one or some of the 6 profiles of the UCX and finally even run it in stand-alone mode.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Many thanks ramses.