Topic: 2021 new audio interface: UCX vs Fireface 802

Hello guys! The question is: which one should I choose?

Basically I need 8 IN for 8 synths channel on my audio interface and an ADAT I/O port.

Actually I'm working with an ADAT going into the Apollo Twin MKII for the hardware FX: I have 4 stereo FX, so I use all the 8 I/O of the ADAT, send and return routing. BUT, I can't "take" the clock from. the Twin because it has no ADAT OUT / Word Clock.

My setup looks like:

A Prophet Rev2 -> I’m playing it with double layer option, so I have 4 unbalanced out
A Arturia Minibrute -> mono unbalanced out
A Roland Juno06A -> stereo unbalanced out
A Behringer Crave -> mono unbalanced out
(Also a Digitakt but I use it via USB through the Overbridge software)

I definitely need to receive MIDI from my audio interface in order to send it to a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru that act as a MIDI Splitter: I need this to clock and to send program changes to the synths.

Last but not least, I work with Ableton Live, I have two Focal Alpha 65, a mono Auratone Speaker and a pair of Beyerdinamic that I need to connect to the interface.

My budget tells me "buy the UCX, but I really appreciate if you can give me some feedback about these 2 interfaces

Thanks for your time!

2 (edited by ramses 2021-01-18 19:08:55)

Re: 2021 new audio interface: UCX vs Fireface 802

Hi Maara, welcome to the RME forum.

You could use my Excel from this blog article to compare and decide: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

What I like about the UCX:
- two different connections towards PC (USB2 and FW), but nowadays FW is not so much important anymore
- full implementation of FX chip
- compact form factor
- supports Class Compliant mode
- AUTOSET
- one ADAT port might or might not be sufficient to you, depends on your use cases
- preamp settings can be stored and recalled digitally in TM FX snapshots

What I like about the 802:
- two different connections towards PC (USB2 and FW), but nowadays FW is not so much important anymore
- full implementation of FX chip
- 19" rack format
- supports Class Compliant mode
- two ADAT ports also support double speed or connections to two different devices
- two phones outputs
What I personally dislike:
- you have analog potis for Mic Gain and Phones volume, these settings can not be stored / recalled by TM FX snapshots
- no implementation of AUTOSET
- the 6 standalone profiles can only be recalled in stand-alone mode by using the old ARC (which is not available anymore)

Another very good choice that you should at least consider / evaluate: UFX II, €513 more compared to 802, but then you are "in heaven":
- overhauled analog section like UFX+ (compared to former flagship UFX)
- Enhanced version of DURec (Direct USB recording), so you can use your deviice like a tape deck
- RTC (Real Time Clock) supports timestamps in DURec Recordings
- AUTOSET for Mic / Instr inputs, very useful
- 2 ADAT Ports
- 2 very nice phones ports
- Fully manageable by display in stand-alone mode, standalone profiles recallable
- ARC USB can be attached to rear USB port to be able to remote control the unit with ARC USB in stand-alone mode
- Uses latest MADIface USB drivers which support ASIO buffersizes down to 32 samples
- As the MADIface driver is also being used for other devices like ADI-2 Pro/DAC you can access these devices directly from DAW by loading this one ASIO driver. You only need to clock sync the devices by connecting one digital port to the other device.

My use cases with UFX+ (similar to UFX II), how I work with DURec, see here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Rec-EN-DE/

Having a 2nd Digital ADAT port might have additional advantages to be able to connect to more devices like to connect to your HiFi's DAC.

To give you another nice overview: a list of all advantages of UFX II and UFX+ over the old flagship interface UFX, please see my article here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: 2021 new audio interface: UCX vs Fireface 802

Hello ramses,

Thank you for your reply!

And wow, these files are amazing! I'm gonna dig into it!

Unfortunately, my budget is not for the UFX series.. I'll chose between the UCX and the 802 in the end.

The most arguing part is the input channel question.. 18 vs 30..

But I saw on the excel file that the UCX is a good competitor in terms of specs!

Gonna think about it mumble mumble