Topic: daisy-chain vs. star connection?

Hello

Say, I have the three devices -- Babyface Pro FS, Digiface USB and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, and I want to connect them all.

One way is star connection:

Digiface USB (M) <--> Babyface Pro FS (S)
Digiface USB (M) <--> 18i20 (S)

Here (M) and (S) depict master and slave, respectively, in terms of ADAT clock sync.

Or, as I know that Babyface Pro FS has a better clock, I may want to use it as the master. Then, the connection should be daisy-chain, instead:

Babyface Pro FS (M) <--> Digiface USB (S) <--> 18i20 (S)

Would this work? Would there be any hidden disadvantages using either one?

Re: daisy-chain vs. star connection?

I dont inderstand what the digiface usb is doong in your setup? Why not Just connect the babyface to the computer and the scarlett via adat in and out?

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

ebmmbongo wrote:

I dont inderstand what the digiface usb is doong in your setup? Why not Just connect the babyface to the computer and the scarlett via adat in and out?

I didn't put the whole picture in the original post in order to simplify my case. Digiface USB sends, for example, a SPDIF connection to a bluetooth transmitter. And there are a couple of more connections with regards to digiface USB.

As those 3 devices are all USB-interfaces, they have to be connected to the computer without any connections between them (at the moment).
The settings in their settings menues must then be correct.
There is always one master and the others are slaves.
The Babyface Pro as the master is my own choice.
The other two must use external sync clock.
I am not sure if this works internal thru the computer, probably you have to do a lot of tests also with a few toslink cables where you connect first the out of the babyface to the input of the digiface and then from a digiface output to the scarlett.
I never tried such thing and have no idea how the computer will handle such a mess.
After all you will learn a lot about synchronization of audio-interfaces.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

And
- you have to take care manually, that all three different drivers / devices use the same ASIO buffersize.

You will have to operate this all in
- two TM FX instances (either in two different TM FX windows or in one and then select device a or b)
- with Scarlett mixcontrol

Its surely possible, but I would guess that the operation of such a setup will be a little bit combersome.

Better would be to get one RME interface that "does it all".

Or, if you really need to many ADAT/SPDIF connections, get something like two RME devices which use the same driver
like this combination using the MADIface driver:
- UFX II as main interface and clock master
- Digiface USB
For clock synchronization use e.g. UFX II - ADAT1 OUT ----------> ADAT4 IN - Digiface USB
and as I mentioned already, use the same ASIO buffersize.

As both interfaces are being accessed by the same MADIface driver, your DAW will be able to access both devices.
As the Digiface USB doesn't allow for stand-alone operation you will have to keep it connected by USB as well.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13