Topic: RME BABYFACE PRO FS users (Vocal issues) - Help?

Hey guys

TLDR Got RME BABYFACE and my vocal recordings just don't sound the same. Help?

Was really excited to get this new unit after upgrading from a Steinberg UR22 MkII and then a Universal Audio that I enjoyed (but didn't want to pay into the plug in business).

So I got this RME Babyface FS PRO, and still trying to wrap my head around the TOTAL MIX FX.

Wondering if someone can guide me in the right direction.

Ever since I got this Audio Interface... i haven't been able to record a single song properly.

I used to open Cubase, my interface was on, I'd record smooth vocals onto the track and that'd be it. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Now, I open TOTALMIX, make sure +48v is on... and no matter what, it's still either super quiet on my vocals... or it's at a reasonable level, but as soon as I start Rapping/Singing, it instantly PEAKS, Sounds DISTORTED and doesn't ... even...sound...good. They sound airy, tinny, distorted... the bass in my voice is gone... like nothing sounds right. I haven't enjoyed recording music in almost over a month because within 10 minutes of recording the first tracks, i hear the awful result and I just get discouraged and quit. I Refuse to believe the Mic Preamps in my Steinberg are cleaner than the German engineered RME... so what gives? it must be an issue with the TOTALMIX. I've heard comparisons other people have done with vocals and theirs sound so clean. ughhhh

What am I doing wrong? There's so much I'm not touching within the TOTALMIX so Maybe that's the issue... but it feels like a Digital solution to analog signals that seems to be taking away from the quality of my vocals.

Is it the "PAD" setting? Is it the "FX Send"? Is it the "Routing mode"?

I've recorded a couple songs and my vocals just sound off. I keep trying every other day and it just feels like I've fallen out of enjoying recording since I got the RME.

Re: RME BABYFACE PRO FS users (Vocal issues) - Help?

Why are you not touching them? Rule 1 in debugging is to at least toggle them and see what happens.

Rule 2 is to state your system. Is this a Mac and the mic gain is changing automatically?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, I purchased the rme ucx about two months ago and I have exactly the same problem you are describing, I would be happy if you tell me what the solution to the problem is, in case you solved it.

shawnnova wrote:

Hey guys

TLDR Got RME BABYFACE and my vocal recordings just don't sound the same. Help?

Was really excited to get this new unit after upgrading from a Steinberg UR22 MkII and then a Universal Audio that I enjoyed (but didn't want to pay into the plug in business).

So I got this RME Babyface FS PRO, and still trying to wrap my head around the TOTAL MIX FX.

Wondering if someone can guide me in the right direction.

Ever since I got this Audio Interface... i haven't been able to record a single song properly.

I used to open Cubase, my interface was on, I'd record smooth vocals onto the track and that'd be it. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Now, I open TOTALMIX, make sure +48v is on... and no matter what, it's still either super quiet on my vocals... or it's at a reasonable level, but as soon as I start Rapping/Singing, it instantly PEAKS, Sounds DISTORTED and doesn't ... even...sound...good. They sound airy, tinny, distorted... the bass in my voice is gone... like nothing sounds right. I haven't enjoyed recording music in almost over a month because within 10 minutes of recording the first tracks, i hear the awful result and I just get discouraged and quit. I Refuse to believe the Mic Preamps in my Steinberg are cleaner than the German engineered RME... so what gives? it must be an issue with the TOTALMIX. I've heard comparisons other people have done with vocals and theirs sound so clean. ughhhh

What am I doing wrong? There's so much I'm not touching within the TOTALMIX so Maybe that's the issue... but it feels like a Digital solution to analog signals that seems to be taking away from the quality of my vocals.

Is it the "PAD" setting? Is it the "FX Send"? Is it the "Routing mode"?

I've recorded a couple songs and my vocals just sound off. I keep trying every other day and it just feels like I've fallen out of enjoying recording since I got the RME.

Hi, I purchased the rme ucx about two months ago and I have exactly the same problem you are describing, I would be happy if you tell me what the solution to the problem is, in case you solved it.

You should post your settings as screen shots or make a video.  I have this interface and it's completely transparent.  If anything, I wish there was 12dB more gain.

After replacing the old interface with the new one, did you create a new project in cubase ?
If yes, then can you open an old project, one where your voice was good.
Then record there some new parts and also listen the old parts.
Can it be that in your previous recording sessions you was listening yourself via cubase project where an EQ was boosting your voice ?
May be there was a gain setting on the recording track much higher than now ?
There are many many steps from your mouth to the computer where the sound can get distortion or weakening.
In Totalmix in the menu Options there is the submenu reset, choose total reset.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue