Topic: Is it possible to upgrade ADI-2 Pro FS BE with remote?

Subj

2 (edited by ramses 2021-01-31 12:01:07)

Re: Is it possible to upgrade ADI-2 Pro FS BE with remote?

AFAIR no, needs special board with the needed circuit on it.

And if you compare the two devices "ADI-2 Pro FS BE" and "ADI-2 Pro FS R BE" then this is not the only difference...

The latest model has also the newer AKM chip: slightly higher SNR and the additional D/A filter.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by frs 2021-01-31 12:02:14)

And there is no slot for the board in "no R" version?

AK4493 in the R model?

4 (edited by ramses 2021-01-31 12:03:37)

I think that has been answered by RME already on this forum -> not possible.
But I do not remember anymore in which thread.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok, thank you. I am not the owner yet so I have to decide which one to get.

frs wrote:

AK4493 in the R model?

Yes, you find this info here: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

7 (edited by ramses 2021-01-31 12:10:20)

And if you remember back, there was never something like an upgrade available.
Also not for the FS change between "ADI-2 Pro" to "ADI-2 Pro FS".

Most likely because of the compact design and the complexity of the multi layer circuit board.
I think that this would require changes on the multi layer circuit board so that there is no easy upgrade possible.

8 (edited by frs 2021-01-31 12:09:48)

Unfortunately there is no "no R" FS BE model in the Products menu so it is not possible to run comparison tool. Thank you for your help.

9 (edited by ramses 2021-01-31 12:22:44)

Only the actual products are shown there.
I know it, because I read the forum regulary and because I am interested in this line of products.

What is the key reason for you to change may I ask ? The remote ?

I am not the owner yet so nothing to change.
It would be nice to see AK4499 in the next model though.
When AK rebuilds the fab..

11 (edited by ramses 2021-01-31 15:49:16)

No one can yet predict how the market will develop. Only one thing is certain: there will always be further developments and new models. In principle, one can wait forever. ;-)

The other question is, what you expect from a newer device. Along the last years we observed, that many things like higher SNR, less THD, etc are measureable, but not audible (at least not in a valid blind or double blind tests).

Talking about quality. RME converters play already on such a high level that they are being compared already with expensive studio converters that have a much higher price for AD alone, like e.g. a Lavry AD122 96 MkIII  for €7473. https://www.da-x.de/de/lavry-ad122-96mkiii.html. That's factor 4.3 of the price of an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for AD alone and without the special features of the ADI-2 Pro.
See here a review on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHG32aXBDY.
There is also a ZIP archive available with the original .wav files: https://www.youtube.com/redirect?v=doHG … amples.zip.

What I could observe from listening to those original wave files is, that there is only very little difference between those A/D converters and I think for D/A it's similar.
In terms of D/A conversion I made already such an A/B comparison between ADI-2 Pro and a D/A converter module (DAC-40) of an Accuphase E-600 Class-A amp in the past and I can tell that I needed to listen very closely to hear at least a very small difference. For me the DAC-40 module sounded compareable to ADI-2 Pro in NOS mode (like a little less amount of treble).

RME stated already in this forum that all the "cheap companies" do not reach the quality of RME, because it is not enough to simply pack the even most expensive and best converter chip in a housing and sell it cheap / with cheap design.
And that's where RME comes in, that they get everything of quality out of the chips that is possible at all through appropriate design, board layout, the right control of the chip: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 20#p136920

It has always been the declared goal of RME to develop realistic, affordable products that you can still afford. If you would work with higher priced high end converters, then the devices would only cost about twice as much, but the benefit would not be twice as high. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 55#p141055. So its anyway questionable whether it makes sense to wait for RME to build devices based on the more expensive converter chips out there on market.

In this respect, I would not hesitate and now get an available device that already participates from 3-4 years of product experience and fine-tuning. You can be sure to get a mature product to an affordable price. And since there is also the remote control for the Pro product, it leaves really nothing to be desired. If you see an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE on the market, I'd go for it.

+1 for Ramses Brilliant, and well stated commentary.

There are far greater influences upon sound than simply having the newest chip. 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks Curt wink

Ja...and the Product Maturation, and Fine-Tuning thing...

And then suddenly one day, my ADI-2DAC had Dual Metering!   Pre/Post Levels.  Wow!   It didn't have that when I bought it!!

The RME product amazes me, and I really don't care what # is on the Chip.  It's the END PRODUCT that sells me, and all can be assured that I'm sold!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes