1 (edited by waedi 2021-02-02 00:36:46)

Topic: Madiface Pro vs Babyface Pro Fs

The Madiface Pro is not FS ?
Would anyone prefer the Babyface Pro FS over the Madiface Pro because one is FS and the other one not ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

2 (edited by ramses 2021-02-02 09:05:52)

Re: Madiface Pro vs Babyface Pro Fs

1- Correct.
2- There was already a discussion on the FS topic in regards to the ADI-2 Pro, FS vs non-FS model.
     It can be summarised like this: better measured values, but not audible.

What makes the new BBF Pro FS very attractive compared to the older model is not only the change to FS clock.
The product page lists the following improvements:
- +19 / +4 dBu switch on the bottom adds a direct way to reduce the output level, thus improves SNR for sensitive active monitors, avoids distortion / overload, and helps to keep TotalMix FX faders near 0 dB instead of high attenuations.
- Full SteadyClock FS circuit as in the ADI-2 Pro FS for lowest jitter and highest jitter immunity.
- 3.5 mm TRS phones output power rises from 70 mW to 90 mW.
- THD of both phones outputs improved by up to 10 dB.
- Uses same output op-amps as ADI-2 Pro now.
- Output impedance of 3.5 mm TRS lowered from 2 Ohms to 0.1 Ohms.
- Mic inputs SNR improved from 112.2 dB to 113.7 dB
- TRS Line inputs SNR improved from 114 dB to 116.3 dB (120 dBA)
- THD Line inputs improved by 8 dB.
- 6 samples less latency on the AD side by new ADC (5 samples AD, 7 samples DA. It won't get quicker...).
- All the above improvements were achieved without raising the units power consumption.
- K-slot for theft protection.

And additionally from comparing technical data in the manual:
- HiZ input impedance has been raised from 470 kOhm to 1 MOhm

At the end it boils down to that: if sombody needs a very compact USB2 recording interface with MADI support, then the MADIface Pro is still a very good interface.

If you do not need MADI or if MADI devices are too expensive for your applications, then pick the BBF Pro FS which costs only €698 compared to €999 and which has ADAT. I am not sure whether you noticed, the MADIface Pro has no ADAT because of the high channel amount of MADI and at the end you can add devices which support ADAT via MADI.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you very much Ramses for this big answer.

I see an Octamic XTC coming to me, may be next summer, therefor I start lurking for the Madi-device.
I will see in summer what is on the table, probably a new Madiface Pro FS will be on the menu card then...?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

4 (edited by ramses 2021-02-02 14:22:34)

waedi wrote:

Thank you very much Ramses for this big answer.
I see an Octamic XTC coming to me, may be next summer, therefor I start lurking for the Madi-device.
I will see in summer what is on the table, probably a new Madiface Pro FS will be on the menu card then...?

You're welcome waedi ;-)

The BBF Pro is a very popular product at a reasonable / fair price considering all the features you get.

I suppose the MADIface Pro doesn't have that much popularity because MADI is already a bit special and also more expensive. Also the probability is quite high that customer will go straight to a UFX+, XT or a HDSPe MADI FX to get some more ports and features. For example the analog ports of an UFX+ are very attractive, as the port count (incl. Mic pres) does not shrink at higher sample rates (like this is the case with ADAT, MADI, ..).

In this respect, my personal assessment is: rather unlikely to happen .. but who knows .. lets see.

If you think you are missing something without FS-clock, then you can also connect an ADI-2 Pro Pro to the AES/ADAT port of your XTC later. In case of the ADI-2 DAC to the ADAT port (as it has no AES port). Then you can enhance the TM FX control room section by this (in terms of monitoring) and have a wonderful D/A converter for your monitors and the perfect phones preamp. Rome was not built in a few days either ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13