Topic: Hello, I have a question about setting correct input level to monitors

I have Fostex PM-1.
Manual says, max input level is +4dBu.

Does that mean, on my TOTALMIX FX, it is safe to set my 'software playback' level of my CUBASE to be fixed at around -9dBFS so it never goes higher than +4dBu...? so I do not hear any unwanted distortion from my speakers...?

Am I understanding it correctly?

Cheers.

I've been setting my Software playback level at 0 all times... but I could have been wrong all along for my specific speakers...??

Re: Hello, I have a question about setting correct input level to monitors

+4 dBu as such is meaningless as it does not refer to what it means. If it is the level where the speaker reaches full output power (volume) then the speaker is quite sensitive. Basically forget these numbers on active monitors and use them with the only value that is useful: the volume that you want to have. Then the rest comes automatically.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

+4 dBu as such is meaningless as it does not refer to what it means. If it is the level where the speaker reaches full output power (volume) then the speaker is quite sensitive. Basically forget these numbers on active monitors and use them with the only value that is useful: the volume that you want to have. Then the rest comes automatically.

aha! Ok smile so.. I shall just forget about values and set it with my ears...? I had no complaints all along (no distortive sound from my monitors as far as I'm concerned).. but just in case, maybe my speaker feedback could have set better smile I was just being over-sensitive about it because, on the internet, I read it from annonymous RME UFX user, that if your monitors max input is set to be +4dBu, then just in case set your playback fader lower.

I am still not fully understood but um... +4dBu = -20dBFS, does it refer to peak level...? if my monitor receives louder signal than this, it may distort...?

sorry for the confusing question.

I think it just comes down to what your amp expects to see.  You can read its manual or just try the two options on Babyface.

I'm pretty sure that you use an RMS or integrated loudness value to calibrate your translation into analog.  Pink noise works so you'd set your pink noise level to -20dBFS RMS or integrated loudness then adjust your analog device to it reads 0.775V@0dBVU.

But, like MC says, you don't need to worry about it.  My Yamaha HS50 monitors will accept Babyface in either setting.  Setting to -10dBV allows me to turn the knobs higher where I prefer them.  After setting my rough level this way, I then run a K20 calibration and fine adjust the monitors using a SPL decibel meter at C-weighting, slow response to my room's reference level.

Some of this about analog might be wrong - I'm an ITB guy - so I'm open to corrections.