Topic: Cable USB for UFX+ ?

Hi,

I would like to improve the quality of the USB cable in the box of my UFX+

Do the USB version 2.0 work with the UFX+?
I saw some different  USB 2.0 cables worth more than 500 -1000 euros on Hi fi stores but i dont know if it will bring some benefits or not cause they are mainly with USB 2.0  ...

Thanks for your answers

Re: Cable USB for UFX+ ?

The USB cable that ships with the UFX+ is ideal. I was having issues with ground noise coming from other USB devices through my motherboard and I just solved it by adding a Sonnet Allegro USB 3.2 PCIe card and using a Vital USB to USB C adaptor to have a dedicated high bandwidth connection for the UFX+. It's running flawlessly on this set up and there is no ground noise any more.

3 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-02-07 08:16:08)

Hello!

@alexdepse
Do you have any noise issues?
If yes, then Burning Rainbow Studio, allready gave you a good suggestion! You can, also, check the Intona Usb Isolator.

You can, also, read this thread:  https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31732

If you don't have any issues, there is, absolutelly, no need for such a cable!! A usb cable, only transmits 0s and 1s!!
Even a 100 euros, are way, way too much for a usb cable!!!

The cable that comes with the UFX+ is perfect!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

4 (edited by ramses 2021-02-07 10:51:13)

alexdepse wrote:

1- Do the USB version 2.0 work with the UFX+?
2- I saw some different  USB 2.0 cables worth more than 500 -1000 euros on Hi fi stores but i dont know if it will bring some benefits or not cause they are mainly with USB 2.0  ...

Its documented in the manual.
Yes, but then the amount of channels is being reduced to 30; all but MADI, compareable to UFX II.

In the hi-fi sector, customers are unfortunately all too often ripped off in the worst way. All you need is a solid cable, with good shielding and solid connectors. So far I have had very good experiences with Lindy cables. Their USB3 Premium cables cost a little over €20 and have triple shielding. More is not necessary, so you just throw money out the window.

Normally, a well-shielded USB3 cable up to 3m in length should be quite sufficient. Only in stubborn cases (ground loop problems) or if you need to bridge longer distances than 3m, USB3 extensions on optical basis are required. Search the forum, Matthias Carstens (MC), has written something here in the past about the various USB2 and USB3 based solutions.

If you really have so much money left in your petty cash that you had considered buying such expensive cables, I would rather put the money into buying an ADI-2 DAC or even better an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to refine your setup a bit more. The ADI-2 DAC/PRO offer not only excellent quality (see technical specifications) but also very nice, pleasant features for monitoring with monitors and headphones. At this point the money would be much better invested.

See here how nicely ADI-2 Pro/Dac integrate into your Studio.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Especially useful the ADI-2 Pro, because it has
- analog inputs
- two analog outputs
- digital outputs (AES, ADAT)
- you can compare easily two different phones (ADI-2 DAC only has one phone output)
- it supports SRC (sample rate conversion) if you need to integrate devices with a fix / different sample rate
- Usual Reference Levels that you find in the studio (ADI-2 DAC has levels that you find more in HiFi)

I really like the high quality and features like:
- dynamic loudness
- slow ramp-up of volume when pluggin in phones and when switching between monitors and phones
- Auto Reference Level Settings
- Excellent Troubleshooting functions for digital audio connections in the State Overview
- now with extended remote even for the ADI-2 Pro

Worth to consider if you want to spend some more money.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for all your answers , i was just wondering what this cables were used for, it is mainly for DACs right?

If you really have so much money left in your petty cash that you had considered buying such expensive cables, I would rather put the money into buying an ADI-2 DAC or even better an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to refine your setup a bit more. The ADI-2 DAC/PRO offer not only excellent quality (see technical specifications) but also very nice, pleasant features for monitoring with monitors and headphones. At this point the money would be much better invested.

converters are better on the ADI DAC/Pro  than on a UFX+?

I use my UFX+ for recording guitars and listening music, i use as headphones  Sennheisers HD650 and it s nice though.
Maybe is it worth it to try others headphones, i feel i havent seen all the possibilities of this thing wink

6 (edited by ramses 2021-02-07 17:24:45)

> i was just wondering what this cables were used for, it is mainly for DACs right?

You mean those expensive USB cables ? Well, still not understood ?
It's an invention of the industry to squeeze more money out of the customers.
They do not deliver any advantage in sound as this is pure transfer of digital audio data.
There are no nicer looking (or sounding) "Zeros and Ones" during digital data transfers.

Question back ? You have surely a computer and a backup disk connected via USB.
Did you ever worry, that your backup data is corrupted because of not using a €1000 cable? No!

> converters are better on the ADI DAC/Pro  than on a UFX+?

Some technical data are better (SNR, THD) and the DAC supports different D/A conversion filters.
You can compare technical data by looking into the manuals on your own.

Whether its audible I leave up to you. Opinions differ. But if you watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHG32aXBDY&t=12s
and download the original wave files then you can make two observations:
- even high end converters do not exactly sound the same
- the ADI-2 Pro FS E BE does very well for its price .. the other converters are four times more expensive and support only AD

Next .. the ADI-2 Pro FS has a very decent feature set which is very unique to this device:
Auto Reflevel selection, Dynamic Loudness, Slow Rampup of volume when plugging phones or switching between monitors and phones, etc, pls. read the manual.
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_e.pdf

You can integrate this device at any time into your environment, like shown in my blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13