Topic: Babyface Pro Fs Crackling noise

Hi,
I've searched through the forum but didn't found the exact same problem.
New user here, I have 2 issues and forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

1- MacBook Pro 13 2020, last version of Catalina. I get a crackling sound every time I play/pause or skip through different parts of the song on apps like Spotify, Amazon Music, VLC... Daw works fine though. This happens only if I'm using the driver, not in CC mode. Am I doing something wrong in Totalmix? Tried setting it to straight playback mode and also reset but same issue.
Also I updated to last firmware and driver.

2- I would get more volume without clipping my speakers on my old Roland. I also did an A/B to verify this. Maybe this is not an issue, so I'm asking if it is supposed to work like this or again maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Currently using the +4db switch for the output. Maybe switching to +19db could improve this? I thought this would only mean lower fader value. I hope I explained myself clear.

Thanks.

2 (edited by Waltong 2021-02-05 05:22:07)

Re: Babyface Pro Fs Crackling noise

I have a similar set of issues. I get the intermittent crackling when playing steady tone generator in my DAW (Studio One) with no resources being used otherwise.

I get the digital distortion (clipping sound) problem as well when I play commercial mastered music, but not when I'm playing tracks I produced at a lower dBfs

3 (edited by bluewater 2021-02-08 06:55:46)

Same issue here. I love my FS but yeah I've been experiencing the same for the longest time. It's intermittent though. Have tried different windows 10 builds, turning off C-States, setting to Ultimate Performance in power and sleep settings, turning off USB power management, increase buffer sizes (even very high), changing USB ports, different BIOS revisions, different chipset drivers, optimizing for background services, different cables, fresh install. Always persists. I always run it at 44.1 too, so nothing too heavy. Although I sometimes get random drop outs too where the only fix is unplugging and replugging in the device. I'm on Zoom 8 hours a day so this will happen at least a few times a week. In all fairness though I'm more inclined to believe its an AMD or Windows issue.

I’m using an ASUS Rog Strix 390 e gaming motherboard with an i9900k cpu and 32gig ram. Display driver is a NVIDEA GeForce GT 1030 passive. I’m on win 10 home and the version is 2004. I won’t go to 20H2 as I know Cubase has problems with it at present although I don’t know about RME. I am using the BabyfPro FS and I can run down at 64 buffer size all day without ever getting a glitch, cracks or pops. Latency mon shows it as ok for audio streaming. I do know nvidea can cause problems and is probably the worst offender in the DPC checks but is still very low. If something changes I would go for my onboard graphics.

I haven’t put this on to say all is ok as it obviously isn't for you guys and I see many with the same problem on modern machines. I bought mine from where it is built as an audio PC.  This is just to show the sort of build that does work great.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

5 (edited by bluewater 2021-02-08 22:03:43)

If the information helps for comparison for the others, I am on an Asus B550-E, Ryzen 9 3900x, 32 GB memory and RTX 3080 on 20H2. Although I had issues on 2004 as well. The OP is on a Mac though so it would be Intel in his case with Radeon so these two instances of intermittent crackling may be unrelated. I'll bow out of this thread as I would not like to pull attention away from his issue.

Ah right I saw yours but didn’t read the top post on a Mac. Sorry.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

same issues here on an Asus prime b550 MB 32GB and nvidia 1065 and my BF pro fs.
After some time of use it goes crackling or even stops playing.
A reset of the asio is usually enough, or even a change from 256 to 512 buffer size, or from 256 to 128 whatever.
I had none of these on my previous laptop with an intel 7200u and integrated graphics.

Every day it seems that this is a common thing among BF users unfortunately....

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200

8 (edited by mkok 2021-02-09 00:43:12)

I see this problem on lots of other forums for various audio interfaces. I would never buy an off the shelf laptop or pc for streaming audio. There are companies who test different hardware to make sure they are suitable. I got mine from cclonline this time but scan computers (these are all uk) do the same. Laptops are even worse and you can’t even fix them with a new motherboard. If you want to do serious audio then you need to buy proven computers the same as you would with other audio equipment. I would have thought Apple would be ok though but seems they have a lot of problems these days