1 (edited by specialmonkey 2021-02-12 17:15:37)

Topic: Recommended Devices for I/O Expansion

I'm new to recording and considering the Babyface Pro FS. I understand to get more I/O, I can attach a device (or devices) via ADAT/SPDIF?

I'd like to have from 4-8 additional stereo channels (L/R) or between 8-16 (mono?) inputs.

I want to be able to input mics and instruments - from acoustic instruments, electric guitar + bass, digital piano, synths, etc. I think this means I need the ability to input unbalanced signals (or maybe use an adapter for balancing signals)? I'm somewhat fuzzy on line vs mic - does it have to do with the impedance or strength of signal?

I'd also like the ability to have more outs - for supplemental recording, monitoring, routing, and perhaps for currently unknown uses.

I'd like to keep the quality in-line (or exceeding) the Babyface Pro FS - but only spend around 100-1000 USD smile

Are there some recommended devices to achieve this? I'd like to keep latency low (obviously!).

The Behringer ADA8200 looks interesting (and affordable!), but is it only for mics? It would seem I could use it via ADAT to add 4 stereo channels (or 8 mono)? Is it good enough quality? Can the Babyface send audio as output to one of the ADA8200's 4 stereo (8 mono) output ports? Is a device like the ADA8200 even the type I'm interested in, i.e. is it appropriate for Babyface Pro FS I/O expansion?

Can the Babyface use all of the above inputs? I think I've read it can use 12 (does this mean 6 stereo)? In this case would a 12 (6) channel device be better? Also maybe the Behringer ADA8200 cannot do 192khz?

What is the S/PDIF port intended for on the Babyface Pro FS?
I've seen timing connections on some devices - what is it for, will I need to worry about it?

It would be nice to have a few recommendations for good and good value devices that are recommended to expand input and output on the Babyface Pro FS.

Thanks!

Re: Recommended Devices for I/O Expansion

I have the Babyface Pro FS and use it with the ADA8200 and I also got a focusrite octapre platinum se. I could’t resist as I saw it going for £50.
A couple of things to remember. If you run at 192khz with interfaces that can support it you will only get two channels through ADAT. At 96khz you will get 4 and at 44.1 or 48khz you will get 8. Since the bfp has a single optical in then that is it. You would need more optical ins to get more channels.

The ADA8200 is remarkably good. I have done a few test vocals and there is not a great deal in it but the bfp is definitely better. The ADA8200 also has 8 outputs which you can use. I use one set of these to a headphone amp so I can have two independent headphone outputs. I also use a pair for speaker B. The platinum I find no better sounding than the ADA8200. I would say the outputs sound a bit squashed. Both have line inputs as well as balanced and both have 48v universally switchable which is fine with me as I don’t have any ribbon mics. If I did I would plug those into the bfp.

So if you do go for the cheaper option it won’t be as good as the bfp but certainly not bad. I’m not sure there is anything up to 1k though that would be worth going for. The claret looks ok but has the 25pin socket for outputs so you would still need a breakout box as well. It’s only at the claret level you get outs as well as ins unless you go ADA8220 or 2nd hand.

I’m quite pleased with my setup. I just can’t decide which Pre to sell now I have 2.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. It's also helpful to hear how you're using the expanded I/O.

I use 44.1khz now to get best latency settings with my current MOTU M2 device. Maybe the bfp would allow for better performance at higher sample rates? But less inputs available via ADAT as you sample up, as you say, which is good to know.

It's interesting the devices you mentioned are billed as microphone preamps. I guess they have preamps for mics - does this affect non-mic line signals, or are the preamps only on when using XLR? 

So for under 1k, is it only these 2 devices that come to mind?

4 (edited by waedi 2021-02-12 18:59:17)

Hello Newbie Specialmonkey
The Babyface Pro fS is probably the best audio interface for beginners and professionals.
It has 12 input and 12 output.
8 of those channels are digital adat.
For having these 8 In/Outs as analog you must have an adat ADDA device.
The ADA8200 is a good choice fur budget.
I have one and did some tests with my Babyface and I have to say, that unit works just fine.
It gives me 8 inputs Mic or Line and 8 Line-outs where I connect 4 headphones for the band.
The quality of the MicPres is surprisingly good and the converters works well.
This is not high-end for mastering studios, it is for a rock band inside Betonbunker in my case.
Your questions,
yes, you can attach a device via adat toslink cables.
No, not 16 inputs, only up to 12 (adat is a 8-channel-system)
Balanced or unbalanced or mic-signal...
Don't break your head. In homerecording studios it is just fine with unballanced connections.
Mic-level is very low and line-level is more powerfull (or louder)
Connect whatever you like and keep an eye on Totalmix incoming levels, they shall be green up to the yellow but not into the red top.
Latency is not a problem these days and even less with a Babyface.
192 kHz !? I recommend to use 44.1 kHz for Homerecording music production.
Or do you have already a contract with Hollywood Warner Bros ?
Yes, the ADA8200 can't do 192kHz, only 44.1 or 48 kHz.
SPDIF is something you don't need to care.
There are no separate ports, it is part of the adat port.
Timing connections ? You mean word clock sockets.
No, no worry about, you will not need those.
The adat connection contains the timing information, you have to sync correctly.
The rule I learnt : The converter is the master and all the others have to sync to him.
Other recommendations ?
No.
I only have experience with the Ada8200 and also RME Adi8QS, but that is expensive and has no Mic-inputs.
You can choose every Adat-converter out there, they will work ok in their price segment.
If you one day can handle 12 inputs simultan and you want more inputs, then there is for sure more other devices suitable from the RME catalog, from less expensive to more expensive.
Adat is 8 channel system (8 mono channels input and 8 mono channels output)
The Digiface USB for example offers 4 adats (32 in/out)
Then comes MADI with 64 channels. Who is working with 64 microphones ?
Unfortunately I am not engineer, my infos are probably not 100% perfect, some professionals would give you more details.
Let us know how you drive.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by ramses 2021-02-12 19:12:28)

>I'm new to recording and considering the Babyface Pro FS. I understand to get more I/O,
>I can attach a device (or devices) via ADAT/SPDIF?

The BBF Pro FS has one ADAT I/O port. The ADAT input port recognizes automatically whether the connected device uses ADAT or SPDIF protocol. The ADAT output port can be set by you in the driver settings whether to use ADAT or SPDIF protocol.

In terms of protocols:
- SPDIF is a 2ch protocol for all supported sample rates from 44.1 up to 192 kHz
- ADAT offers 8ch @44.1/48 kHz, 4ch @88.2/96 kHz, 2ch @176,4/192 kHz
  To support higher sample rates ADAT combines two or even four ports, as a consequence of this the amount of channels becomes less with double/quad speed (50%, 25%).  For this reason some devices have two or even four ADAT I/O ports to support more channels even at higher sample rates or to simply support connection of more devices to have more ports.

> I'd like to have from 4-8 additional stereo channels (L/R) or between 8-16 (mono?) inputs.

For 16 mono/8 stereo channels you need at least two ADAT ports for single speed (44.1/48 kHz).
And if you would like to record in double speed, you would even need 4 ADAT ports for that.

If you choose a bigger interface like e.g. the UC, then you would have already 8 analog inputs.

Analog ports can be either balanced or unbalanced (TS or TRS).
More professional devices can be connected balanced (which is more invulnerable to outside noise).
But there are many devices which do not support balanced connection, in such a case a normal unbalanced port is sufficient.

Tip: analog and Mic ports which are directly located at the recording interface (not connected through ADAT) do not have this "inflation" in the number of channels when using higher sample rates. Therefore it can be a good idea to have already a certain amount of Mic and Analog Ports directly at the recording interface. In this regards the BBF Pro FS has only few ports on the device.

> I want to be able to input mics and instruments - from acoustic instruments, electric guitar + bass, digital piano,
> synths, etc. I think this means I need the ability to input unbalanced signals (or maybe use an adapter for
> balancing signals)? I'm somewhat fuzzy on line vs mic - does it have to do with the impedance or strength of signal?
> I'd also like the ability to have more outs - for supplemental recording, monitoring, routing, and
> perhaps for currently unknown uses.

To be able to connect a Microphone you need a Mic input. It can also be an external Mic Preamp that you connect to an analog input usually a balanced input. In both cases this can either be a port on your recording interface or on a device that is connected through ADAT (or MADI, AVB).

> I'd like to keep the quality in-line (or exceeding) the Babyface Pro FS - but only spend around 100-1000 USD smile
> Are there some recommended devices to achieve this? I'd like to keep latency low (obviously!)

Starting at 100 Euro hmmm .. not possible. The absolute minimum is €700 (Option C), but I wouldn't recommend this setup.

Option A: UC and 1x ADA8200 (€845+€169=€1014)
Option B: RayDAT PCIe and 2x ADA8200 (€585+€169+€169=€923)
Option C: Digiface USB and 2x ADA8200 (€357+€169+€169=€695)

Only limitation: ADA8200 does only support single speed (44.1/48kHz) but for normal use this is fine. I also use exclusively 44.1 (CD quality) in my projects.

RayDAT is the more professional interface supporting even more I/O ports that could be useful in a studio like AES, SPDIF, 2xMIDI and WordClock (if required by an optional WC module).

> The Behringer ADA8200 looks interesting (and affordable!), but is it only for mics?
> It would seem I could use it via ADAT to add 4 stereo channels (or 8 mono)?

The 8 inputs can be used as Mic inputs or as Line inputs and it has 8 analog outputs, this gives you a certain flexibility

> Is it good enough quality?
Sure, but remember, you have certain budget restrictions to honor ..

> Can the Babyface send audio as output to one of the ADA8200's 4 stereo (8 mono) output ports?
Yes but only to one ADA8200, but you want more ports.

> Is a device like the ADA8200 even the type I'm interested in, i.e. is it appropriate for Babyface Pro FS I/O expansion?
Remember, don't you have certain budget restrictions to honor ?

> Can the Babyface use all of the above inputs?

On the BBF you
- need to dedicate 2 analog outputs for your active monitors and
- 2 for your phones.
And you have the only 2 Input ports that can either act as Mic input or Line input.
ADAT offers 8 more channels, but thats it ...

> I think I've read it can use 12 (does this mean 6 stereo)? In this case would a 12 (6) channel device be better?
> Also maybe the Behringer ADA8200 cannot do 192khz?

The ADA8200 is limited to 44.1/48 kHz.

> What is the S/PDIF port intended for on the Babyface Pro FS?

For SPDIF protocol: 2ch up to 192 kHz

> I've seen timing connections on some devices - what is it for, will I need to worry about it?

Timing connections ? Do you mean perhaps word clock ?

> It would be nice to have a few recommendations for good and good value devices that are recommended
> to expand input and output on the Babyface Pro FS.

You should decide between Option A) and Option B), see above.

Option A) gives you a lot of ports, but you are always limited to 44.1/48 kHz and Behringer quality analog + Mic ports.

Option B) gives you a RME UC with RME quality analog ports and mic preamps where you can use sample rates up to 192 kHz. There you connect monitors, phones and your best mics. For 44.1/48 kHz recordings you can use the ports of the ADA8200 as well.

If you limit your requirements in terms of the number of ports you can use a BBF Pro FS as well instead of the UC.

I recommend to take a piece of paper and then to draw all the connections to devices with which you want to work in parallel and most often and without the need having to re-cable instantly because of missing ports.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by specialmonkey 2021-02-14 18:16:47)

Thanks all for the info. It's appreciated and very helpful. I'm now considering a less expensive device that handles my I/O needs without having to buy more stuff to start. I'm considering the MOTU Ultralite AVB. The 624 looks nice too with USB3 and Thunderbolt, but I don't think I need those just yet. The 624 also lacks MIDI and has less inputs (each of which I may need) compared to the Ultralite AVB.

7 (edited by ramses 2021-02-14 21:35:38)

If I were you, I would carefully compare the features of RME / TM FX and Motu.

In the long run you are much better off with RME, higher build quality, much better delay free controls,
better overall quality in several ways..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Latency, years of support, updated drivers. These things make a huge difference when you need to keep working.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

I have the Babyface Pro FS.

I would go with ramses recommendations, there is just one thing to add:

The BBF hast 4 Inputs, 2 Mic and 2 Line/Instrument, which definately can be used at the same time. So with 8x ADAT you have 12 ins on the BBF.

I use it with a Fireface 400 that i bought used over ADAT, works fine. Tought only 2 Mic inputs - but RME quality, including 2x Instrument for a total of 4 with the Babyface.
You have to own a computer with fireface to configure it at least once, though.

Babyface Pro FS +FF 400 used as SPDIF Adat conv. and more inputs.
Waiting for the UCX FS smile