Topic: Fireface UC clocked by ADI-2 FS

Hi,

I'm extremely interested by RME's latest FS clocking technology, I use a Fireface UC and I'm curious about slaving it to the ADI-2 FS.

Would this update benefit my rig? I plan to use the ADI-2 FS for capturing my analog mix chain & clocking the Fireface UC.

My current routing is this:

Protools --(D/D)spdif-- Junger D01 --(D/A)-- Analog mix chain --(A/D)-- RME

As I cannot test this before commit my purchase, it would be nice to have any input concerning this subject.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards

2 (edited by waedi 2021-02-13 18:40:58)

Re: Fireface UC clocked by ADI-2 FS

This is something I also would like to know more about it. The clocking and syncing of interfaces how this works.
I hope it is ok when I use this place to ad a question.
Is the interface losing its own clock when syncing ?
When sync a Babyface pro FS to a cheap converter, does the Babyface lose its Steady-clock or is it just syncing ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I recommend you to watch this video
https://youtu.be/6rcBVuWOHiw
https://youtu.be/Ti0aHW-zYcs

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I use UCX and ADI-2 FS Pro and the way it's set up is that UCX is connected to PC via USB, and ADI-2 connected to UCX via SPDIF where ADI-2 gets clock from UCX which is master (my speakers are connected to ADI-2 output via XLR). @ramses has some nice diagrams for this which is what I used to set it up. Works great and I could not be happier with sound quality when listening - not sure what if anything I'm giving up by having UCX master clock master vs ADI-2 (but I'm thinking it must be theoretical if it sounds this good).

No more questions !
It works the way I wish.
RME interfaces optimizing automatic for providing us best possible sound.
Nothing less expected.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you for the interest. But does anyone can confirm that buying the ADI-2 FS would give me a better sound quality?

Like I said I really like the sound of my UC but the Steady Clock FS seems outstanding & there is not much talk about the ADI-2 FS on the net. A lot info on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS though

Thanks

tomg wrote:

I use UCX and ADI-2 FS Pro and the way it's set up is that UCX is connected to PC via USB, and ADI-2 connected to UCX via SPDIF where ADI-2 gets clock from UCX which is master (my speakers are connected to ADI-2 output via XLR). @ramses has some nice diagrams for this which is what I used to set it up. Works great and I could not be happier with sound quality when listening - not sure what if anything I'm giving up by having UCX master clock master vs ADI-2 (but I'm thinking it must be theoretical if it sounds this good).

Hi,

Thank you for this message. Could you make a test with ADI-2 FS as master? I'm a bit confused as I know that Steady Clock is the latest clock generation of RME, but at the same time if the FS is slave, the sound remain the same:

"With SteadyClock FS the focus was put on reducing the self jitter of SteadyClock to new lows, by improving its second, analog PLL circuit, and referencing both Direct Digital Synthesis and PLL to a low phase noise quartz crystal. The self jitter measured through DA conversion now reaches levels that usually are only available in master quartz clock mode, while SteadyClock still always runs in PLL mode - no matter if internal or external clock, sound is exactly the same (again). The low phase noise oscillator driving the updated circuit reaches jitter specs lower than a picosecond (ps), an area called FemtoSecond. Hence SteadyClock FS."