Topic: UCX + ADI-2 DAC FS *or* Quadmic II + ADI-2 Pro FS R

From a pure sound quality perspective, am I likely to hear much difference between these two setups, using around 60dB of gain in the mic pres?

Or another way of putting it, are the mic pres in the Quadmic II noticeably better than in the UCX?  And is the AD conversion in the Pro FS R noticeably better than the UCX?

Many thanks,

James

2 (edited by ramses 2021-02-16 15:01:54)

Re: UCX + ADI-2 DAC FS *or* Quadmic II + ADI-2 Pro FS R

In other words your budget is €2300 and the question is how to spend the money best ?! ;-)

Short answer: get an UFX+ for €2198
Optional: with ARC USB for more comfort regarding TM FX control room functions: + €129 = TOTAL €2327

Then later at any time you can upgrade the setup with an ADI-2 DAC FS or ADI-2 Pro FS R BE if you like to get the special features of the ADI-2 Pro.

Why UFX+ ? Its the flagship interface, IMHO the best recording interface ever on the market...
The analog section of the UFX+ is well enough that you should start your setup with the flagship interface !

The UFX+ has many advantages over the other interfaces. More I/O ports, the better preamps, DURec, the instrument inputs have very nice 1MOhm. And of course also nice features like Autoset, FX section. In short: its the flagship.

The analog section of the UFX+/UFX II has been overhauled compared to the former flagship UFX.

I wouldn't hesitate to choose the UFX+, because then you have some major advantages:
a) you can choose either USB3 or Thunderbolt and also USB2 (without MADI) is possible
b) up to date flagship interface with overhauled analog section
c) nicely upgradeable with MADI at any time
d) the two phones output of the UFX+ are great and have enough power
e) many possibilities for upgrades through 2xADAT, AES, MADI
f) e.g. also enough additional channels to "spoil" for loopback recording if you need this

You can check out my blog article here which lists the improvements of the UFX+/UFXII over the older UFX, which was already very nice: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

In this blog you can download an Excel which compares technical data of RME USB/FW/TB solutions:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Direct link to the Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

Sorry, but the combination of Quadmic II and ADI-2 Pro FS R makes absolutely no sense as a recording interface with TM FX is completely missing in this solution. By this you have no possibility for routing, loopback recording, near-zero latency monitoring etc.

Much more flexibility by using the UFX+ alone compared to your other setups.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: UCX + ADI-2 DAC FS *or* Quadmic II + ADI-2 Pro FS R

Hi Ramses,

Thanks so much for the detailed answer.  Sorry, I should have provided more information in my initial post. 

I am a listener not a music maker and I'm looking at a way to get the signal from my turntable into my Mac mini for digital RIAA EQ and needle drops. 

I already own an ADI-2 Pro FS, and connect my turntable (with MC cartridge) via a mic pre.

However I am really missing a remote.  I was thinking I could upgrade to the ADI-2 Pro FS R, but I wondered if a mic pre/interface with AD converter into the ADI-2 DAC FS would be a more cost effective way of achieving the same thing without losing fidelity.

I really like dynamic loudness, so wouldn't want to lose this. 

Thanks again,

James