1 (edited by d.panagiotidis 2021-02-16 14:46:35)

Topic: curious audio drop-outs related to plugin or rme/cubase combination

One of the issues I have with my new pc build (Ryzen5 3600xt, nvidia 1650, 16gb, rme babyface pro fs), running cubase 10.5 is audio drop outs.
After thorough search I found that the cause is a plugin by Cakewalk, the CA-2A levelling amplifier (or compressor).

In the included video first you hear the drop outs with the plugin enabled and then without it.

I don't know if it has to do with something else, but one thing is for sure: the problem disappears when the plugin is away.
I have to say also that this never happened with my old setup which involved the same components, but the new pc.
I have been using this plugin for more than 3 years, and for almost one with the RME on my previous computer, with never any issue.

Now I have to use another compressor instead.

What could be causing this?

https://youtu.be/lPi7o4lUNgs

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200

Re: curious audio drop-outs related to plugin or rme/cubase combination

Can you try the plugin in a different DAW? It has nothing to do with the RME interface.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

The difference now is your new pc so that’s where I would look.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Audio AG Support wrote:

Can you try the plugin in a different DAW? It has nothing to do with the RME interface.

I did try it with the same DAW in another computer and it was OK

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200

mkok wrote:

The difference now is your new pc so that’s where I would look.

I think I tried almost everything to finally come up with one suspect.
But after almost one month I still do not understand what could cause this plugin's behaviour.
I know that without it everything is OK, but still don't know the reason

Dimitris

6 (edited by waedi 2021-02-16 16:04:43)

To me this sounds like buffersize too small.
Configuration of preferences not yet done properly.
There is a buffersize setting inside Cubase under devices/ Device setup / VST audio system / control panel / choose Buffersize (try one or two steps higher)
and it is possible to have a buffersize setting in the audio interface settings.

When you say ...one of the issues... what are the other issues ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

7 (edited by ramses 2021-02-16 17:17:01)

Everything in that regards boils down to the point, that Windows is no real-time operating system and that there are quite significant differences between systems. Not only in terms of CPU performance but also CPU architecture, whether all Cores can access quickly a common cache or whether the access to data needs to be performed through cross connections between CPUs and different caches per group of cores, also how the DRAM is being accessed. Or other things how much DPC latency is caused by BIOS settings / drivers, etc. How efficient a CPU can execute commands (internal design) or react on a workload (DPC latency). Energy saving settings, bad USB communication chips, etc. Or badly written drivers that allocate CPU cores to long (as windows is no real-time OS everything depends on programming conventions, that a driver detaches himself from a CPI when he thinks its about the time (based on programming conventions for drivers)).

CPU benchmarks only give a rough picture of a system's performance. I would compare that with a weightlifter. He would look pretty old in a sprint, high jump or marathon, for example. Just as certain extreme loads have very different requirements for our body, there are also other aspects than multi-processor or single-thread performance for a computer - especially for audio processing.

Also consider, that there are many things that depend on the single thread performance of a CPU. E.g. all inserts in a thread and similar. Look e.g. in this Cubase thread that the ASIO performance does not decrease significantly by simply picking a CPU with higher multi-threaded performance: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/upgraded … r/130920/4

One of the reasons why nowadays you can still have bad luck when simply picking a system, that has not been tested / optimized for audio. Some people have good luck with their choice, some bad luck. One of the reasons why still companies exist that build tested turnkey systems for audio and video productions.

In cases like this I would 1st check the DPC latency of your system.
Maybe you missed some important settings in the BIOS and OS (disable energy saving, high performance profile).
Maybe you have bad drivers.
Maybe you have issues with the transport / USB chipset.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

waedi wrote:

To me this sounds like buffersize too small.
Configuration of preferences not yet done properly.
There is a buffersize setting inside Cubase under devices/ Device setup / VST audio system / control panel / choose Buffersize (try one or two steps higher)
and it is possible to have a buffersize setting in the audio interface settings.

When you say ...one of the issues... what are the other issues ?

buffer size was either 512 or 256, I wouldn't call it small. (the pc has enough power to run projects at 44.1 with 64 buffers).

Other issues were/are:
1. Cubase crashing at least 3-4 times a day, and usually opening with a message that it crashed during shutdown. Solved with downgrading the nvidia drivers and installing a studio version (at the moment)
2. Losing output completely in cubase on startup, and getting it up by a change in buffer size, i.e. from 512 to 256, or from 256 to 512 or to 128
3. Extremely crackling noises during playback in cubase after having worked for some hours and without having changed anything.

Issues 2. and 3. still persisting...

Dimitris

ramses wrote:

Everything in that regards boils down to the point, that Windows is no real-time operating system and that there are quite significant differences between systems. Not only in terms of CPU performance but also CPU architecture, whether all Cores can access quickly a common cache or whether the access to data needs to be performed through cross connections between CPUs and different caches per group of cores, also how the DRAM is being accessed. Or other things how much DPC latency is caused by BIOS settings / drivers, etc. How efficient a CPU can execute commands (internal design) or react on a workload (DPC latency). Energy saving settings, bad USB communication chips, etc. Or badly written drivers that allocate CPU cores to long (as windows is no real-time OS everything depends on programming conventions, that a driver detaches himself from a CPI when he thinks its about the time (based on programming conventions for drivers)).

CPU benchmarks only give a rough picture of a system's performance. I would compare that with a weightlifter. He would look pretty old in a sprint, high jump or marathon, for example. Just as certain extreme loads have very different requirements for our body, there are also other aspects than multi-processor or single-thread performance for a computer - especially for audio processing.

Also consider, that there are many things that depend on the single thread performance of a CPU. E.g. all inserts in a thread and similar. Look e.g. in this Cubase thread that the ASIO performance does not decrease significantly by simply picking a CPU with higher multi-threaded performance: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/upgraded … r/130920/4

One of the reasons why nowadays you can still have bad luck when simply picking a system, that has not been tested / optimized for audio. Some people have good luck with their choice, some bad luck. One of the reasons why still companies exist that build tested turnkey systems for audio and video productions.

Maybe you missed some important settings in the BIOS and OS (disable energy saving, high performance profile).

yes I understand that. Even though I just invested in this new build only 2 months ago I am very seriously thinking of jumping to a new apple M1, which I did think for a while before building this one, but after software like cubase etc are upgraded for those.

I tried all things with drivers, yesterday I changed them for nvidia, for MB chipset, for RME (I had the new one, then previous, then again new), etc. I have checked usb's ; all connected on the MB, and used high performance profile with the problem persisting. Now I am back in minimum 25% and maximum 90%, I do not see a point in running at 100% if this shows no results.

And indeed, the problem is very strange. But I am so very much dependent on this plugin which I used in so many projects and I am reluctant to accept that I will have to replace it in all of them.

Dimitris

10 (edited by ramses 2021-02-16 18:03:57)

ramses wrote:

[...]

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Apple is expensive and has slightly higher RTL due to extra/safety buffers for Core Audio
and because ASIO accesses the audio hardware in a more direct way with less system calls.

Not sure whether this really helps.

I would investigate into a turnkey system for audio (should be not more expensive compared to an quite expensive Apple system).

Please note: I see it only from some technical aspects, I personally do not care whether somebody uses Apple or Windows.
Simply a personal view on the things and recommendation that nobody needs to follow.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by vinark 2021-02-16 18:23:51)

Probably a NVDIA issue. Try older driver or different graphics settings. If possible disable graphics acceleration for the plugin.
There is a post on cubase forum about glitches with nvdia, but you will have to search, I have an AMD card.
Also try the generic video driver in win10 to see if it fixed it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

ramses wrote:
ramses wrote:

[...]

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Apple is expensive and has slightly higher RTL due to extra/safety buffers for Core Audio
and because ASIO accesses the audio hardware in a more direct way with less system calls.

Not sure whether this really helps.

I would investigate into a turnkey system for audio (should be not more expensive compared to an quite expensive Apple system).

Please note: I see it only from some technical aspects, I personally do not care whether somebody uses Apple or Windows.
Simply a personal view on the things and recommendation that nobody needs to follow.

this is the report after 1.5 minutes run with just Chrome in the background with 10 tabs open

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:01:29  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-T9SCBJ4
OS version:                                           Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware:                                             System Product Name, ASUS
CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 6-Core Processor
Logical processors:                                   12
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  16269 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3793 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N
Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the
interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a
usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   118.90
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   5.219262

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       105.20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.287665

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              139.056156
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.013752
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.015117

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   34669
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs):               0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted
until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              285.235434
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ntoskrnl.exe - NT Kernel & System, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.011356
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.02210

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   49934
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              3
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The
process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in
dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 latmon.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       5
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          4
Number of processes hit:                              2

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.982249
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                139.056156
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.158745
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      25250
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                180.863169
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.209183
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      45493
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.217706
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1.112049
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000001
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      1
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.155074
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                15.438439
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000080
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      15
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.142218
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      0
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.263247
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                272.652254
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.010933
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      1910
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.264557
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                232.66860
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.005290
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      893
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.075674
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                9.016610
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000009
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      1
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.140487
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                5.740575
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000008
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      3
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.167087
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3.245979
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.001223
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      3237
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                285.235434
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.004259
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      478
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.131959
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.941735
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000028
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      61
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                15.789085
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000110
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      28
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.184617
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3.125758
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.001960
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      5019
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                250.441339
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.006758
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      951
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.246860
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3.055629
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000652
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      1102
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                35.365146
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.001094
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      164

Dimitris

vinark wrote:

Probably a NVDIA issue. Try older driver or different graphics settings. If possible disable graphics acceleration for the plugin.
There is a post on cubase forum about glitches with nvdia, but you will have to search, I have an AMD card.
Also try the generic video driver in win10 to see if it fixed it.

I have just turned into an older on 3 generations back.
Everything is disabled, just video graphics

Dimitris

14 (edited by ramses 2021-02-16 19:28:04)

Please note .. a network driver (esp Wifi) but also Ethernet creates a certain load.
When recording you should not use the network or the browser.
Note #2.
The tool already puts a "defined" DAW performance to your machine.
Do not do anything other ... measure on an idle system.
Fresh reboot, just logged in, start tool, nothing else, no mouse movement as this also generates interrupts.

Let the test run for at least 5-10 min, to get also any impact of any potential background services / jobs.

If you want to catch impact on background services or need a final judgement for things that happen only at certain times, you might need to run the tool even longer. Depends if you want to see a snapshot of "performance" or if you want to validate a setup where you work a complete workday. Usually 5-10min should be enough for 1st impressions.

15 (edited by d.panagiotidis 2021-02-16 20:12:20)

ramses wrote:

Please note .. a network driver (esp Wifi) but also Ethernet creates a certain load.
When recording you should not use the network or the browser.
Note #2.
The tool already puts a "defined" DAW performance to your machine.
Do not do anything other ... measure on an idle system.
Fresh reboot, just logged in, start tool, nothing else, no mouse movement as this also generates interrupts.

First of all thanks for taking time to deal with this even if apparently it does not relate to the RME
Now...

I never use wifi.
I unplugged the ethernet cord and rebooted the thing.
I ran for more than 5 min.

here's the report

CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:05:18  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-T9SCBJ4
OS version:                                           Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware:                                             System Product Name, ASUS
CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 6-Core Processor
RAM:                                                  16269 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3793 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N
Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the
interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a
usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   100.30
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   5.501084

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       97.20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.337213

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              219.273926
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.003584
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.005638

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   116936

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted
until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              357.448458
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ntoskrnl.exe - NT Kernel & System, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.006441
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.01780

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   150314
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              79

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The
process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in
dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 wmiadap.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       20
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          5
Number of processes hit:                              8

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.082171
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                219.273926
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.200485
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      80277
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                262.703928
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.452871
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      132549
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.365713
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                10.379119
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000052
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      37
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.731329
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                8.856314
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000050
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      18
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.551256
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                5.880833
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000039
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      20
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.360381
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                267.122067
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.016596
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      1939
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.206467
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                305.813340
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.030366
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      3019
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.035443
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                273.093066
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.007201
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      1365
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.847448
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                170.874769
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000239
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      24
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.591192
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                5.089375
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.007301
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      18465
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                357.448458
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.122665
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      5457
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.069090
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                1.663064
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.001849
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      4391
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                326.651727
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.022201
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      2840
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.892806
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                1.252307
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.003836
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      10409
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                303.659373
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.013248
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      1686
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.817031
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                1.232270
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.001912
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      3394
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                332.823095
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.014466
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      1439

and here is the drivers' report
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhmb79k205ukq … 3.png?dl=0

Dimitris

16 (edited by ramses 2021-02-16 20:50:40)

looks good
mine for comparison
CONCLUSION
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:05:00  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        SUPERMICRO
Hardware:                                             Super Server, Supermicro
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz
RAM:                                                  32641 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3800 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   311,60
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2,538407

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       309,80
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       0,758894

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              241,676667

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,044993

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,047531

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   289606

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              201,680
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,028987
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernelmodustreiber-Frameworklaufzeit, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,055709

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   925132
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 avp.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       2
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          2
Number of processes hit:                              1

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5,462128
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                241,676667
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   1,704046
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      257591
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                201,680
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   1,954027
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      914640
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,823849
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                28,911667
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000238
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      63
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,954143
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                69,164167
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,007234
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      1528
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,95060
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                61,84750
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000437
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      82
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,609927
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                68,851667
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,008608
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      1799
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,895291
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      0
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,987646
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                72,739167
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,020907
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      4409
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,858812
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                11,9650
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000022
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      9
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,872652
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                56,7250
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,002130
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      455
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,896576
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                2,65750
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,003111
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      15198
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                67,9350
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,001332
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      235
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,962993
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3,336667
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,005210
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      16817
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                56,814167
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,009640
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      1592
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,931459
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                60,738333
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,002409
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      320

ramses wrote:

looks good
mine for comparison

it may look good, but then again ...we got a problem

Comparing the two lists this entry in mine seems curious:

Process with highest pagefault count:                 wmiadap.exe

Dimitris

Only very very few hard page faults (and from a process not related to recording) = reads from disk .. can be neglected.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo … dfrom=MSDN

"Memory : Page Faults/sec. This counter gives a general idea of how often the requested information is not where the application (and the VMM) expects it to be. The information must be retrieved either from somewhere else in memory or from the page file. Remember that while a persistent value here may indicate problems, you should be more concerned about hard page faults that represent actual reads or writes to disk. Remember that disk access is much slower than RAM."

Is that plug-in properly licensed on the new computer?

> Demo version limitations include random silences

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

Only very very few hard page faults (and from a process not related to recording) = reads from disk .. can be neglected.

"Memory : Page Faults/sec. This counter gives a general idea of how often the requested information is not where the application (and the VMM) expects it to be. The information must be retrieved either from somewhere else in memory or from the page file. Remember that while a persistent value here may indicate problems, you should be more concerned about hard page faults that represent actual reads or writes to disk. Remember that disk access is much slower than RAM."

disk is SSD SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES 500GB M.2

Dimitris

MC wrote:

Is that plug-in properly licensed on the new computer?

As far as I know yes.
For a certain period of time it was offered free and I registered it properly and it appears in my products in cakewalk's page. So no issue here.

One thing I do not understand is that when I install it it goes to 2 places.
1. program files/cakewalk/vstplugins (and its relevant resources one level up, in program files/cakewalk)
2. program files/common files/vst3

then cubase finds it in the second place and runs it from that folder (I tried to erase it from there and could not find it anymore).

Note here that I had installed cakewalk's (now bandlab's) sonar on this new pc for one or two days to just test it and afterwards uninstalled it. I do use it on the old pc. But it is curious again that cubase searches for this plugin somewhere else....

Dimitris

22 (edited by ramses 2021-02-17 09:22:19)

d.panagiotidis wrote:
ramses wrote:

Ok, nice SSD .. but don't know why you write this now. Maybe misunderstanding ?

As I wrote above this "can be neglected" as this is a normal thing if something is not in DRAM that it needs to be loaded from disk. And in this case even only few accesses, this of no relevance for this thread.

ramses wrote:
d.panagiotidis wrote:
ramses wrote:

Ok, nice SSD .. but don't know why you write this now. Maybe misunderstanding ?

As I wrote above this "can be neglected" as this is a normal thing if something is not in DRAM that it needs to be loaded from disk. And in this case even only few accesses, this of no relevance for this thread.

I thought you implied that I had a traditional HDD which is slower than RAM. That's why I made that clear

Dimitris

Any "disk" is slower compared to DRAM even if SSD / NVMe SSD is much faster wink