Topic: Babyface Pro FS - Phones OUT broken?

Hi,

I'm using the Babyface Pro FS with a Windows 10 host. I noticed since a couple of weeks that

• the level of Phones OUT cannot be set using the jogwheel anymore. If I rotate the jogwheel, the slider in TotalMix jumps up a little bit but instantly falls back to -oo

Ok, that was funny but I could still set the level in Total FX using the mouse. But now recently,

• the headphones level started dropping to -oo all of a sudden, e.g. during recording.

This is a killer.

Sent the device back to the seller (Thomann). They apparently had sent it to RME where the analysis yielded "no defect found". I received the device back without any repair. Here in my setup, the issue persists.

A video showing my problem can be seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IhDf17 … sp=sharing

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Andreas

----
Babyface Pro FS, Driver: 1.210, FW: 129

Re: Babyface Pro FS - Phones OUT broken?

Hello!

Does this happen with no other application running? or when using a DAW or other app?
Also, which OS?
Driver and Firmware versions?(numbers, please, not just "latest")

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Does this happen with no other application running? or when using a DAW or other app?
Also, which OS?
Driver and Firmware versions?(numbers, please, not just "latest")

It happens indendently of the DAW or any other application being open or not.

Driver: 1.20
FW: 127

Cheers, Andreas

----

Hi, Andreas!

There is a newer driver version available from RME: https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_win_1210.zip

Other than that, do you have any MIDI devices connected?

Also, number of WDM Devices? You can set that to "0" and check if you, still, get the same behaviour! (you will loose windows audio, but you can set it back to "1" after the test)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Looks like Phones Out is set as Default Playback Device in the Sound control panel, and some other process is trying to control that volume.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks folks. For the moment it is working. I'll observe it. Not sure whether the reducing WDM devices or the not-setting-as-default-playback device did the trick, but I learned some new stuff about my interface through you.

No midi connected to the Babyface currently. The driver is 1.210 now wink

What I don't understand is why I could still set the Phones OUT level using the mouse in TotalMix but not using the jogwheel? Anyways, I am happy for now.

----

Back with my old problem. The bad behaviour of the Phones OUT is back (see video above) even with WDM devices set to 0 and the Babyface not being the Default Playback Device for Windows (obvious with WDM=0).

Main OUT never shows these fader problems.

Phones OUT shows these fader problems: I cannot raise the level using the jogwheel. Using the mousen in TotalMix, I can set the level to where I want it. Problem in that state is that the Phones OUT level drops to -oo every once in a while by itself which can ruin a recording session.

Please advice! Really appreciate it. I can send any info, screenshots, videos.

----

Have you done total reset in Totalmix ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Is there a reset function that can be triggered?

What I have done last night was to reboot the Babyface a few times by unplugging the USB and re-plugging. Didn't help the problem. Currently, my Babyface is operated from bus-power (but previous tests showed the same problem with 12V external supply).

I can try stuff tonight again if you have more suggestions... Thanks

----

I don't expect it to change something in your case, but current firmware on our website is now 129. Please update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Tonight the problem was there when I first booted.

Then I tried standalone mode. No problem with the Phones OUT there, in this one test.

Then returned to USB connection and updated the FW to 129. The problem was back, same behavior as with FW 127.

Then for kicks, did a Total reset from within TotalMix. Now the problem is gone, for the moment. While that is great, I am afraid it is still not gone for good because I've not yet figured out the root cause of it... Thanks for your support though

-------------
Driver: 1.210
FW: 129

----

Just to let you know that the problem is not really gone. Rather I have an awkward work-around for it: only if I keep the jogwheel constantly rotating to max the Phones OUT level throughout the Windows boot and login process, I can prevent the Phones OUT level from getting trapped at -oo. It seems that around the login time (usually somewhat before login), some process is trying to slam the Phones OUT level down some 20-30 dB. If I let this happen, Phones OUT stays trapped at -oo.

WDM devices is set to Zero, so if it is not the RME driver itself, it must be some more hidden process accessing the Phones OUT? I am not getting it, but from here on it seems more of a Windows issue. I even did a bold virus scan on the host machine (c't desinfec't), but no result.

I am operating with this work-around but it is really annoying. If you have any hints to hunt this problem down, I appreciate it.

-------------
Driver: 1.210
FW: 129

----

Has your computer a own headphone output ?
May you should go into the BIOS and disable onboard audio ?
No better idea at moment

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

If WDM is set to 0 then you have to check MIDI. Are MIDI inputs connected? Is a MIDI input port selected in TM FX Settings MIDI?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is what the MIDI settings page looks like:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j63hLi … sp=sharing

(Have to admit that I never looked at this page. Keys+MIDI are not my musical realm)

Cheers

----

Good - one more possible culprit cleared.

Bad - we still have no clue why your system does this. Maybe it's time to get a second BF Pro to be able to check if that one behaves identical on your system.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME