Topic: MADIface not performing under OSX

Hello

I just bought a MacBookPro 15" to use with my MADIface. The problem is I cannot record 64 channels at the same time. I use the card to record all channels from a Soundcraft Vi6 mixer using its madi output. I have to reduce the channels to less than 60 for Nuendo to be able to record. If I arm all 64 tracks i can only record for about 5 sec before nuendo shows an error message (to many tracks recording). Even at 60 tracks it is not totally stabile. I have to go below 56 tracks to be safe. At 60 tracks I get an 88% cpu usage.

I suspected this to be an OSX issue, as the task was no problem for my 2 years old Dell laptop... I installed WinXP SP3 on the Mac and I can now record all 64 channels without any problem. The machine is also a lot more responsive under Windows. All tracks recording I get an 30% cpu usage.

Another concern is that the expresscard gets very hot!! is this normal/safe?

best regards
H?vard Christensen

Re: MADIface not performing under OSX

Yes, in a MacBook the ExpressCards get very hot, this is normal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What about the main problem?

My FF400 wont work correctly under WinXP/bootcamp and my MADIface wont work correctly under OSX. Id prefer to stay on one platform.

H?vard

Logic Pro 8 and pre-beta Reaper are performing well with the MADIface for me. 64 channels at 256 buffer to ext. FW drive with about 35-45% CPU usage.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Just to close this case: the user found out that independently from our hardware his MacBook does not perform disk-streaming under Mac OS as good as under Windows.

http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=18715

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

...and I do not violate my NDA when I say that the soon upcoming Nuendo 4 update have much better disk performance under OSX.
I have no problems recording 64 channels on my Macbook PRO.

So hopefully this will soon be ok for H?vard as well.

Best,
P?l Svennevig