Topic: USB-C upgrade for UFX+?

Hi

I know few vendors who previously offered interface upgrades for existing hardware, two that come to mind are Apogee, and Weiss over here in CH.

I totally understand that TB1 is more than enough to support the inputs/outputs of the UFX+, so my question is not about TB2/3 upgrades, but rather about the connector/port itself:

From a purely practical perspective, it would be great to have the option to retrofit usb-c in place of current mini display port on the UFX+...

Could that be even feasible on those units?

Thanks.

Re: USB-C upgrade for UFX+?

USB-C form factor is TB3, and needs active electronics to be compatible to TB2/1. As in the Apple and Startech adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok thanks, so I guess we’re stuck with those flimsy adapters...

MC wrote:

USB-C form factor is TB3, and needs active electronics to be compatible to TB2/1. As in the Apple and Startech adapter.

Related question about the technology needed for the UFX+ connection: The Supermicro motherboard C9Z490-PG has USB-C format connection. I asked Supermicro whether this was Thunderbolt 2 compatible. The answer I received today is not exactly clear: "C9Z490-PG has USB 3.2 gen 2x2 type C, which is the same speed as Thunderbolt 2. " 

Can RME (MC) confirm that this is likely to work with the UFX+ via the StarTech connector https://www.startech.com/en-us/cables/tbt3tbtadap ?

Thanks!

ADI-2 pro fs be; UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

Holy crap! I just saw the price of the StarTech adaptor! No thanks...the Apple adaptor is so much cheaper and smaller.

But not fully compatible to all computers, especially Windows ones (I mentioned that here several times). And the Startech adapter can be bought elsewhere much cheaper than indicated on the Startech website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So to get to the bottom of this, can the active electronics for TB2/3 be retrofitted inside the UFX+ (for an upgrade fee, of course)? Would RME consider such a possibility? You might have guessed by now I just can’t stand dongles!! wink

A change from TB1 to TB3 would not be done by adding an 'internal adapter', but putting a native TB3 solution inside. That's a whole new develpment of the digital section, though. Don't wait for it...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME