1 (edited by Pach 2021-02-18 16:55:52)

Topic: Questions about using the ADI-2 Pro for microphones

Hi,

I'm curious about the ADI-2 Pro and using it with an XLR mic(s). If I connected an external mic preamp to the RME, would that work? I was going to go for an interface like the motu m2 and a mic preamp and then get an external amp/dac for headphones, but another option would be just to get the ADI-2 Pro and have an all-in-one (except for the preamp) with TOTL AD conversion.

The problem I see is that the ADI-2 Pro doesn't seem to be made specifically for microphones, so there doesn't seem to be features like monitoring/hearing your own voice. Is the ADI-2 Pro+preamp good or would you just suggest using a real audio interface?

Also, what connector would I have to use to connect a mic preamp to the RME? Do I have to use a L/R XLR splitter cable?

Thanks!

Re: Questions about using the ADI-2 Pro for microphones

I would get 1st of all a recording interface with preamps and TM FX. Check Excel attached to my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Then you can add an ADI-2 Pro to your setup, like described here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I had the exact same question some months ago and ended up getting both ADI-2 PRO FS and also RME UCX. Take the advice provided by @ramses (follow his setup diagrams) and you will be very happy. My requirements were primarily to listen to high quality music at my desktop, but also to be able to connect a couple of XLR mics for guitar and vocal - works perfectly. By the way, before I got my UCX I already had the ADI-2 PRO FS and tried connecting the mic directly to it but was not happy with that setup at all (mic volume was very low and there were no controls to really adjust anything regarding the mic inputs - on the other hand you get great controls via TotalMix software that is used to configure the RME UCX (and all other RME interfaces).

4 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-02-18 19:38:25)

Pach wrote:

Hi,

I'm curious about the ADI-2 Pro and using it with an XLR mic(s). If I connected an external mic preamp to the RME, would that work? I was going to go for an interface like the motu m2 and a mic preamp and then get an external amp/dac for headphones, but another option would be just to get the ADI-2 Pro and have an all-in-one (except for the preamp) with TOTL AD conversion.

The problem I see is that the ADI-2 Pro doesn't seem to be made specifically for microphones, so there doesn't seem to be features like monitoring/hearing your own voice. Is the ADI-2 Pro+preamp good or would you just suggest using a real audio interface?

Also, what connector would I have to use to connect a mic preamp to the RME? Do I have to use a L/R XLR splitter cable?

Thanks!

Yes this will work perfectly. I'm running the ADI-2 (original) this way, with a preamp before it, works flawlessly !!! There's monitoring via the headphones out on the ADI-2 which also works flawlessly. I'm hooking it up to a RayDat via ADAT but you could use anything you want with it (it's nice to have Totalmix to control how the monitoring is working what is sent to and from etc. but this could all be done in the DAW). No reason to get other expensive devices or dedicated sound card if you don't need it. The channels will show up in your daw just fine, as long as you have something to receive it with. No need to split cables just use a regular XLR cable which is balanced, hook it up to the preamp and input 1 or 2 on the ADI-2 and you're good to go wink

torbenscharling wrote:
Pach wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Yes this will work perfectly. I'm running the ADI-2 (original) this way, with a preamp before it, works flawlessly !!! There's monitoring via the headphones out on the ADI-2 which also works flawlessly. I'm hooking it up to a RayDat via ADAT but you could use anything you want with it (it's nice to have Totalmix to control how the monitoring is working what is sent to and from etc. but this could all be done in the DAW). No reason to get other expensive devices or dedicated sound card if you don't need it. The channels will show up in your daw just fine, as long as you have something to receive it with. No need to split cables just use a regular XLR cable which is balanced, hook it up to the preamp and input 1 or 2 on the ADI-2 and you're good to go wink

There is input monitoring via headphone out? Or do you mean with the RayDat card? When I asked RME, they said:

"The ADI-2 units do not have a mixer inside to handle input monitoring, so that will be done on the software you use for recording. When monitoring an input with software, you will not have zero latency, but it's usually not a problem. You just need to keep the buffer size set to a low number to avoid noticeable latency."

6 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-02-18 22:30:05)

Pach wrote:
torbenscharling wrote:
Pach wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

There is input monitoring via headphone out? Or do you mean with the RayDat card? When I asked RME, they said:

"The ADI-2 units do not have a mixer inside to handle input monitoring, so that will be done on the software you use for recording. When monitoring an input with software, you will not have zero latency, but it's usually not a problem. You just need to keep the buffer size set to a low number to avoid noticeable latency."

I own the original ADI-2 (non pro, non fs, non hifi-dac era) supposedly the ADI-2 Pro is the upgrade, which I'd assume works similar ie yes you do get to monitor your signal coming in, since it has analog headphone out which gives you direct monitoring of what's coming in. This may be different on the "hifi" ADI-2's that is, the ones with fancy display on the front etc. and it may also behave differently depending what you hook it up to. Since I have it hooked up to a RayDat card (ADAT) which has Totalmix, I can route things and monitor as I wish, - mind you, this is the signal I'm getting via the ADAT in and out, so what I send to the ADI from my computer in this case, or from my other RME device which is hooked up to another ADAT on the RayDat - that signal will be sent to the ADI-2, so I'm only getting the latency of the AD/DA conversion, naturally. So I go direct from mic-pre to the Analog 1 on the ADI-2 and guitar direct from pedals (true bypass, buffered pedals at Hi Gain to get the most dynamic range) into Analog 2 on the ADI-2  I then do direct monitoring of that mic and guiar input on the ADI-2 or sometimes only software mix via the DAW, but often a mix of the two so I get the low latency clean signal as well, as I can hear the processed signal at the same time, so I know what's going on with my sound in a live monitoring live recording performance situation. I can't do this trick without some kind of Totalmix or daw or other mixer software, though I can still get it done without a computer hooked up, so to answer your question: I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do "direct monitoring" since the device has built in headphones out that would directly monitor what's coming into the box - BUT, it may not behave as you wish if you hope to do direct passthrough monitoring like a true bypass analog pedal would feed the signal directly through AND do the digital monitoring and ad/da conversion, for that I think you need something else, it is after all an ad/da converter, not a mixer. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

Pach wrote:

And RME (whoever that was) is right. Of course there is input monitoring. But what you want is mixing the input monitoring with the playback from the computer, and the ADI-2 Pro can't do that as it has no TotalMix. So you have to use the DAW mixer for monitoring, which introduces latency (which might not be a problem at all). Or use the Pro in combination with another interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

..and if that interface is say a RayDat or similar digital interface, with Totalmix it's just the ad/da latency, you don't HAVE to monitor through your DAW as well. Hope that makes sense.

Sure, typically smaller than RTL over USB/PCIe and independend of ASIO buffer size.
And with higher sample rates even smaller compared to 44.1kHz.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by GisselleAcevedo 2023-11-23 03:49:11)

Great choice looking into the ADI-2 Pro for your setup! It's a versatile piece of gear. While it may not be designed specifically for microphones, you can indeed use an external mic preamp with it. Just connect the mic preamp to the RME using an XLR cable. No need for an L/R XLR splitter cable; a standard XLR cable will do the job.You're right that the ADI-2 Pro doesn't have microphone-specific features like monitoring, but it's top-notch for AD conversion. If you're going for top-quality sound, combining it with a high-quality preamp might be a great choice, especially if you're considering ASMR microphones.