Topic: 2x HDSP PCI + 2x Multiface I - extrem latency in DAW (Ableton Live)

Hello.

my setup:
PC with 2x HDSP PCI + 2 Multiface I
CARD 1 - clock internal
CARD 2 - ADAT Sync LOCKED
Buffer size: 64

once I enable any of the input or outputs in Ableton Live I get major latency of nearly half a second.
If only INs/OUTs of Card 1 are active I get a total latency of 5ms (shown in Ableton and feels like this correct).

In a previous setup I solved this issue by sending IN/OUTs from/to CARD 2 via ADAT. Therefore having 16 channels IN + OUTS and only activating channels from Card 1. Basicly using CARD 2 only as an ADAT interface.

Is there a way to run both cards directly in sync without major latency issues?

I conducted a search on the forum and internet but could not find a solution. Very much appreciate any help.

Re: 2x HDSP PCI + 2x Multiface I - extrem latency in DAW (Ableton Live)

When you say CARD, do you mean the PCI-card or the Multiface box ?

What I would do : Try to run the system with only one interface for the moment.
Put 1 pci-card into the computer and be sure to get latest firmware on it and install the latest driver.
Then connect 1 Multiface box and choose that for audio interface in the windows and inside Ableton.
When the system is running correctly with low latency, then start interchanging the interface parts.
Exchange the PCI-card and the Multiface box to be sure you can handle both devices and they are working proper.
Then you can start merging them together.
You can connect one box to the other via adat for having an extension converter box.
Get your system running with one interface first.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

thanks for your input.

I meant:
CARD1 = PCICARD#1 connect to Multiface I #1
CARD2 = PCICARD#2 connect to Multiface I #2

I dont run into any latency issues unless I activate any IN or OUT channels from Card#2 in ABLETON LIVE.

When you use both, do you have a clock connection to the second unit? It can be SPDIF, Word Clock or ADAT. The 2nd card should sync to the first card as you did before with the ADAT connection.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

thanks Jeff for your answer.

I thought I had a working sync connection, but I misunderstood "ADAT IN: LOCKED" as the sync is working. Apparently it needs to show SYNC.

I will try to establish sync via SPDIF and will report back

I did some more testing and solved it by using SPDIF. Also managed to get it working via ADAT.

Using ADAT it showed (SYNC) - but only worked using 48KHZ, when using 44KHZ again major latency (half a second or so).
Is this a limitation when using ADAT?

Using SPDIF I was able to change it to 44.1KHZ and it works with ABLETON showing 4.35ms latency and it feels like that is correct. (Buffer 32 samples) (also worked on 48KHZ)

Changing the Sample rate in Ableton lead to reproducible crashes and let to RME DSP Settings showing the sample rate greyed out(not possible to change anymore). After system reboot, a pre-crash selected sample rate worked.

7 (edited by vinark 2021-02-24 11:11:13)

Using ADAT it showed (SYNC) - but only worked using 48KHZ, when using 44KHZ again major latency (half a second or so).
Is this a limitation when using ADAT?

No. all my gear is synced through adat and I work at 44,1k exclusively.

Changing the Sample rate in Ableton lead to reproducible crashes and let to RME DSP Settings showing the sample rate greyed out(not possible to change anymore). After system reboot, a pre-crash selected sample rate worked.

If you swap which card is master and which slave, without changing anything else, does the same happen?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632