Topic: Spdif output ringing/low resolution

Hi all,

Babyface proFS user here.
My computer is running both Reaper on the babyface and VCVrack on a expert sleepers ES9 (eurorack soundcard).
Everything at 44.1 128 samples, running great except 1 small thing.

Sending audio to the es9 through spdif gives a low quality/ringing sound in vcv until i change the clock source from optical to internal a few times, then the sound quality is back to normal. Not a massive problem but I have to do that everytime I start these programs. Just wondering if someone ran into that issue.

Patched the drivers to 1.210 and running firmware 127.

2 (edited by waedi 2021-02-19 22:32:14)

Re: Spdif output ringing/low resolution

When you change the clock source from optical to internal, where do you do that ?
In the Babyface settings or inside the ES9 ?
The Babyface clock setting should be "internal" and the clock setting inside the ES9 should be optical SPDIF (or adat).
The ES9 has a GUI where you can do some settings. The ES9-user-manual is pretty useless, no wonder you landed here.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-02-19 22:35:35)

Hello!

Are you using only one Toslink cable, from BF Optical Out to ES9 Optical In?
If yes, then you need to connect a second cable, from ES9 Optical Out to the BF Optical In.
Then set the BF's Clock to "Internal"(master) and set the ES9 to be clocked by its Optical Input(slave).

Also, are you on PC or Mac?

EDIT: just saw waedi's answer, after I finished typing! smile

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

4 (edited by mrmoustache 2021-02-20 06:59:19)

When you change the clock source from optical to internal, where do you do that ?

In the Babyface settings or inside the ES9 ?

In the fireface settings

The Babyface clock setting should be "internal" and the clock setting inside the ES9 should be optical SPDIF (or adat).

I can only get a clean sound using optical in as clock source, internal will give me periodic clicks.

The ES9 has a GUI where you can do some settings. The ES9-user-manual is pretty useless, no wonder you landed here.

There's not much in there, the buffer size / sample rate has to be changed in the driver control panel. Manual is of no great use..

Are you using only one Toslink cable, from BF Optical Out to ES9 Optical In?
If yes, then you need to connect a second cable, from ES9 Optical Out to the BF Optical In.

That's already the case.

Also, are you on PC or Mac?

PC

Ah, nice!

If you can't set the ES9 as slave. then I guess you have Clock source set to "Optical In" in the BF settings.

If you increase the buffer, do you still get the same behaviour?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Ah, nice!

If you can't set the ES9 as slave. then I guess you have Clock source set to "Optical In" in the BF settings.

Yep, I think internal might have worked at some point before i overhauled everything when the es9 came in and now only "optical in" gives me good synch. Can't remember what I did.

If you increase the buffer, do you still get the same behaviour?

Changing the buffer or sample rate of the es9 in vcv gave me different kind of sounds, all unusable until i wiggle the clock sync of the rme.

I don't know if it's worth mentionning but I also have sonarworks reference 4 installed, although I doubt it's messing with clock or something like that.

What I would do :
Babyface alone test.
Disconnect everything
Connect the Babyface to computer.
Latest firmware
Latest driver
Total reset in Totalmix.
clock internal in Babyface.
connect a headphone to the Babyface and listen some music from the computer.
In the PC Bios disable onboard audio device.
Quit all audio software possible.
Do you hear the music nice ?
This should be done properly befor connecting further devices.
Babyface only.
Hook up monitor speakers,
Record something from a microphone.
The basic inputs and outputs must work.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Well for some reason the problem fixed itself after I took the babyface to a gig and connected it to my laptop, connecting it back to main pc there's no clock sync problem anymore.