1 (edited by waedi 2021-02-20 03:28:19)

Topic: Digiface USB has no FX ?

Has the Digiface USB no FX in the Totalmix FX ?
The old Babyface silver has Totalmix with FX !
But the Digiface USB opening Totalmix FX without the FX, no send no returns no EQs.
I can not say if this was the case before, I didn't used it the last month.
I was playing around with it and was surprised to see Totalmix Fx with all the FX stuff missing, then I grab the old Babyface and there all works fine.
Is this normal ?
The user manual of the Digiface USB is not clear, it writes Totalmix FX a few times but the FX details are not that much there.
Screenshot :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21zfdr47b2jqy … 2.png?dl=0

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: Digiface USB has no FX ?

Hi waedi!

This is normal ! DF Usb has no FX chip!

TotalMixFX has become the full name of TotalMix (irregardless of the FX section being implemented or not)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 08:43:24)

Maybe my Excel sheet helps you regarding this
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Direct link to the Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by waedi 2021-02-20 12:52:40)

Thank you very much Ramses this explains a lot.
I am very ok this way, I don't need the FX in DF.
But it could be possible with an update of TM, as the Babyface does not have the chip either, the FX are created in the computer.
What I am more missing is the visible signal from the loopback in the input channel.
This would be a great update feature.

5 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 13:23:22)

What about simply looking at the corresponding HW output where the loopbacked signal originates from ? It is actually the same !

The display of the signal on the HW input is still needed as its possible that you have also incoming audio from the device which is connected to this particular HW input and it can still be routed to another output.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by waedi 2021-02-20 14:38:04)

Of course! You are right Ramses.
But also it is even more important to see the Level when another input signal is coming in and probably clip ?
But it is not only the visibility of the loopback, it is more that the loopback signal is gone out of Totalmix, you can't do further routings with loopback, like pingpong from output - loopback - input - routing to another output, not possible.
Don't ask me for a reason. It is just for playing around in Totalmix and see what crazy things can be done there.

> But also it is even more important to see the Level when another input signal is coming in and probably clip ?

Sorry, I do not get your point.
1. The signal that you loopback to the corresponding input is the output signal, this level you can see at the HW Output.
2. The input signal from a connected device is shown on the HW input and can be routed to any output.
Side note: at the other output you can use loopback it again to record it.
So the analog signal from connected devices is not lost....
Best practise is anyway to use channels for loopback, that are not being used (ADAT, AES, MADI).
Its only a special case that software is so braindamaged to accept audio only from AN1/2 instead of providing all available ports to choose from.

> But it is not only the visibility of the loopback, it is more that the loopback signal is gone out of Totalmix,
> you can't do further routings with loopback, like pingpong from output - loopback - input - routing to
> another output, not possible.

1st of all, the purpose of loopback is to be able to read/record an output signal (submix) without external cables to an HW input. This saves a) cables, b) ports.

Next. No signal ist lost, the audio input of connected devices is being displayed on the HW input.
There it can still be used / routed to another output/submix and if you should need to record this particular one, use loopback again. As I said such trickeries are not required of you use ports for loopback that are otherwise not in use.
For this reason I say its always good to have some ports as a reserve ... either for other connections or ... loopback.

If you need a certain submix on other HW outputs additionally, well then simply provide this submix to these other ports.
TM FX even supports you here by the functions to copy or permanently clone a certain submix.

The point is more a feature request.
The feature to get the loopback back into the input into Totalmix and not out of Totalmix, I don't say lost, but out of Totalmix.
Adding FX to a submix would be easy with loopback-input. A setting in the preferences would be fine, enable loopback to input.

9 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 17:09:46)

Whatever I tell you .. final decision is anyway up to RME.

BTW, I only tell you this, because I was not sure, whether you are aware of it, that from functional perspective all is already possible with TotalMix just right now. So .. if you should have a problem to deploy something, that you can solve it now.

a) you can add FX also to the HW outputs
    And if you do not want FX there, well then provide this submix to another unused output, add fx and loopback there

b) this would only be of use for devices with FX so if limited use anyway for a generic TM FX feature

Question is also, whether its worth to add such a switching which makes things not easier maybe even harder to understand for routing deployment and troubleshooting.

you could just use a cable and do a hardware loopback?