1 (edited by stereoid00 2021-02-20 21:47:47)

Topic: RME babyface - phantom power doesn't work

Hello,

I've got RME babyface for quite some time now and sometimes when I connect a condenser mic (AKG C214) and hit phantom power button on TotalMix FX tool it doesn't seem to work - volume disappears for a moment and goes back to the same level as before. TotalMix does not react to any sound in such state. It looks the same on both 1st and 2nd analog input. Eventually (at least till today) it goes back to normal and i can turn phantom power on but it's pretty annoying and I'm always afraid I'll destroy the mic turning it on and off, restarting and by plugging/unplugging the cabling. Anyone had similar problem? What might help? 
I've updated the driver and did the flash update - same issue

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 21:51:04)

Re: RME babyface - phantom power doesn't work

Did you already do some cross checks ?
To use another Mic, Mic cable or did you try the mic on another preams (recording interface, mobile recording unit, mixer) ?

To find out / exclude: bad cable, defect microfone ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have very limited recording set - one dynamic mic, one condenser and rme babyface so the only thing i could exclude was cabling issue (i've connected it directly to babyface input without any cabling in between). Seeing the same issue before and how it disappears randomly I assumed it's more of a software/interface issue rather than mic but fair point - i'll have to cross check the mic first

4 (edited by waedi 2021-02-21 12:06:16)

Is the Babyface connected with the external power supply or USB only ?
What computer ? What USB cable ?
What condenser mic is it ?
Some older Notebooks do not provide enough power on the USB sockets...

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

For the old Babyface phantom power problems can be caused by the breakout cable, and the metal screws of the D-sub socket not having good contact to the housing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I had this problem and messed with the cable connection and screw. It fixed it, but I still find that if I move the unit around there are contact issues that create a short in the signals. I get a lot of noise in the monitors. I'm wondering if the cable/plug is the issue or is it an issue with the receptacle.