Topic: New To RME

Hello everyone, my name is Ben iam a Streamer and currently Joined the RME Gang tongue

As little of a backstory i had a huge audio setup and a Friend told me that everything i have is possible with only 2 Devices the Digiface and the UCX

Everything works perfectly, since iam running a 2 pc setup, i have just a lot of difficulties, setting up my mic, it does not sound good like it was before, iam rly bad in adjusting because i dont know a lot about this stuff.

I have the Neumann TLM 103 -

Maybe there is a kind of Preset i can use ?

Apriciate any help, peace

2 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 20:51:04)

Re: New To RME

Preset ? Not sure what you mean.
You look for a RME recording device ?
What is your max budget and what type of ports do you need for your setup ?

I put together an excel which could help you, to choose a proper device, its in this blog article from me:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Preset ? Not sure what you mean.
You look for a RME recording device ?
What is your max budget and what type of ports do you need for your setup ?

I put together an excel which could help you, to choose a proper device, its in this blog article from me:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

Hello Sir, and thank you for your Help.

I have the UCX and the Digiface installed, i need help Tuning my Mic (adjusting) the sound of the actual Microphone, as mentioned above smile

Tuning the Mic ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

https://imgur.com/a/EPKXOnp

adjusting, seting up the mic i dont know how to call it

before i had a Mackie profx it was easy finding the best sounding options for my mic,

no i feel like i talk into a Metal Box or a tunnel, iam sorry if i dont know how to explain like a professional

7 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 22:56:03)

azp3ct_fps wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/EPKXOnp

adjusting, seting up the mic i dont know how to call it

Ah, to record with effects (Compressor, EQ).

Well, most people prefer to record without effects, so that wrong parametrized effects do not ruin the recording. Then you can 1st of work on the audio files 1st (e.g. eliminate S-Lauts if required) and then to use DAW or 3rd party effects later to work on the sound and to keep then what sounds best.

If you want to record with Effects, then you need to activate this in the RME driver settings 1st. Otherwise the usual idea is to "catch" / record something in best quality, very transparent, without coloration / modification.
I personally regard the effect as most useful for your submix in phones when recording something to a backing track.
Or really to use some EQ or compressor settings if you want to record something straight.
Experiment a bit with the settings and existing presets.

Sorry, something like profiles for mics do not exist. You use the settings that fit to your room / vocals / instrument / taste.
The TM FX come with some presets that you can use as a starting point, but thats all.

In the internet there are many resources that explain how compressors work, how to make vocal recordings, etc.
How to create mixes and how to master. But at the end only one counts, that you and your friends or customers like the sound...

i feel like i talk into a Metal Box or a tunnel
You are using a high-quality super pro studio microphone that is excellent inside a perfect studio with perfect acoustic.
What is that room you are using it ?
A small office room in your home (normally a childrens room ?)
The tunnel sound comes from small rooms with too much reverb (bathroom effect).
The metallic sound could be a kind of feedback inside your DAW.
Try another recording software, for example audacity freeware.
After having a recorded track you can do some EQ, often people are happy when add bass and hights (cheap trick).

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank  you guys for the help i think iam explaining my self wrong, I cant find good settings and have issues finding them because i dont know how to adjust my MIC for LIVE broadcasting https://www.twitch.tv/azp3ct_fps this is what i do

iam doing live streaming and my room is fully coverd in Akustik foam and everything smile

10 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 23:32:02)

When I tried the TLM103 years ago in the Musicstore, then I had a certain feeling as if treble was overemphasized, I was not satisfied with the sound.

The ratings for this microphon at Thomann are partially also not so good:
"... put into operation, I was sobered - does not sound so great ... Well, first gather experience, I thought! After about a year of work in the studio I was then really dissatisfied ... nothing I recorded with the mic was better in my songs - on the contrary - in the vocal recordings I was only busy with post-processing, so cold and sibilant sounds the TLM 103! Then I've dealt in more detail with the Mic on the net, and see there a lot of criticism in the professional - forums ... Tenor: not suitable for vocals at all! So I feel it now also, although it is purchased by most yes mainly for this. I think that many buy this Neumann, because they can not afford another, and then hear it beautifully - I sold it again! ..."

> i am doing live streaming and my room is fully coverd in Akustik foam and everything

Difficult to say, whether this has been done properly and that now the room is sounding well for recording...
Some rooms that people use for recording are sometimes even too low so that the acoustic is not well.

Its difficult to clarify this through a forum without any sound material, without knowing the room and the acoustic.

It also doesn't sound to me to be a RME specific problem. You can try to use the EQ and compressor to modify the sound a bit according to your taste.

i think we are overshooting the target by a lot, i dont need any help with akustik or interfaces just a "HOW TO" but thank you anyways i guess big_smile

I did watch that Link from you and to me your sound is pretty good.
You (the guy in the small frame with headphone and beard) speak loud and clear, all right.
I think you have been looking for things that do not exist.
Setting up the mic is :
Roomacoustic, Mic-stand, proper cables, gain before clipping, place the mic distance to the mouth, ev. a popfilter, good interface, computer, software, and then ev. some EQ and autotune plugin if wanted.
You are a bit close to the Mic, if you give 10cm more space could be fine.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

13 (edited by ramses 2021-02-21 08:27:04)

azp3ct_fps wrote:

i think we are overshooting the target by a lot, i dont need any help with akustik or interfaces just a "HOW TO" but thank you anyways i guess big_smile

Overshooting a lot ? After all, you started talking about "many difficulties" in the area of sound, first without really providing any concrete examples. Then you don't have to be surprised that people first fear the worst.

Then maybe it was a bit unfortunate of you to ask for things like ready-made "profiles" or "microphone tuning".

Now you ask for a how-to. Gent, for what please ? How to use a compressor ?
Please use google, there is enough information in the internet and at the end you need to use it and fine-tune in a way, so that it sounds good in your project.

There is not something like a generic switch or button or profile to make it "sound good".
The whole thing lives from fundamentals, know-how and experience and a certain creative willingness to experiment.