Topic: Audacity Crash

Hello,
I got the HDSP 9652.I use all ADAT ins with Ultragain from Behringer and with Cubase (6,5). Everything runs perfectly (Thanks). As I play along in Cubase with Cycle Mode and lots of instrument tracks noodeling just to get ideas, I would like to record "what I hear". Cubase cannot do this because of the cycle modus (and recording too many instrument tracks with too much data usage). So I installed Audacity, a nice free program to record every sound you hear on the PC in the background which I used for long time in the past. I never had problems with Audacity with my last HDSP (forgot the number) that died in an overload.
But this version will start to record and after exactly 5,5 seconds it will stop, the stop button starts blinking and the program crashes. I have to finish it with the task manager. The preference was put to Windows WASAP . I tried all ADAT in and out combinations. Sometimes Audacity runs without recording (flatline), sometimes it does not run at all and as said before sometimes it starts recording and after 5 seconds, bang.I deinstalled and installed on different harddiscs some times but no difference.
As in the Audacity forum noone knows about this, maybe it is a preference problem of the RME.
Any idea?
Thanks.
If there is no idea I have to buy a splitter and record on another PC.

Re: Audacity Crash

Did you try to run Audacity alone ?
Play a soundfile thru Audacity  when Cubase is close ?
Can you record a monotrack that comes in via the adat with Audacity ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

tpmk wrote:

Hello,
I got the HDSP 9652.I use all ADAT ins with Ultragain from Behringer and with Cubase (6,5). Everything runs perfectly (Thanks). As I play along in Cubase with Cycle Mode and lots of instrument tracks noodeling just to get ideas, I would like to record "what I hear". Cubase cannot do this because of the cycle modus (and recording too many instrument tracks with too much data usage). So I installed Audacity, a nice free program to record every sound you hear on the PC in the background which I used for long time in the past. I never had problems with Audacity with my last HDSP (forgot the number) that died in an overload.
But this version will start to record and after exactly 5,5 seconds it will stop, the stop button starts blinking and the program crashes. I have to finish it with the task manager. The preference was put to Windows WASAP . I tried all ADAT in and out combinations. Sometimes Audacity runs without recording (flatline), sometimes it does not run at all and as said before sometimes it starts recording and after 5 seconds, bang.I deinstalled and installed on different harddiscs some times but no difference.
As in the Audacity forum noone knows about this, maybe it is a preference problem of the RME.
Any idea?
Thanks.
If there is no idea I have to buy a splitter and record on another PC.

Ever tried to use the freeze track feature of Cubase to save processing power and I/O for VSTi ?
To use smth like Audacity without ASIO capabilities makes no sense.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Not sure what you mean or why you can’t use Cubase alone? My suggestion would be to upgrade your very old version of Cubase.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

Not sure what you mean or why you can’t use Cubase alone? My suggestion would be to upgrade your very old version of Cubase.

BTW good point, not sure when freezing of tracks came in .. maybe not yet in v6.5 ...
Then he could freeze all tracks with VSTi inside and the CPU would not have to process the VSTi and use the wav file instead.
Where its still possible to pan and change volume with a frozen track.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the answers. It is a bit complicated to explain why I want a recording program when I have Cubasae, but I try. But first: Audacity also crashes the same way without cubase running, I tried with Itunes.To update Cubase as proposed makes no sense for what I would need, I really spent a lot of money from Cubase 1 to 6 for updates but they never helped for my personal wishes, what here means for example they never made the main output routable to more than two physical outputs ( not counted the studio/controlroom) I want the same soundsignal just more than one time out of two of my 24!! physical outs. They never made the output mix track recordable.(or I never found out how it works)
I have 9 hardwaresynths running at one time playing life. If I want to record a one hour session in audio makes 7 giga and  I cannot use cycle mode, then later another hour for a rough audio extraction and I then will find out, that synth 6 was not recorded by accident. And just record the midi, thats the next problem. This hour will absolutly not sound as played life when played back later.Did anyone try a bit with device manager and soundediting in Cubase running? Sys Ex will not work properly.Some data have to be recorded as midiparts others with read/write. I cannot believe that this is now better than 20 years ago. This excellent program is for studio recording. But for this live techno setup I need it different.I just want to have a nonstop recording of my hour, could even be mp3, just to keep the few magic moments that appear within this hour (amongst lot of s...). As I said in the past this worked good with Audacity. Now I installed it again and again withot any success, I hoped someone here could with few words say: hey Tom, in the RME preferences just erase the little hook on this page and here we go. I`m absolutly not expert on Asio, and Clock etc.etc. I admitt I never understood the RME Matrix right. I`m always happy when everything works fine.
Anyway thanks again, I try some more programs and if theres nothing I spend the 85 Euro on a Tascam DR5.

they never made the main output routable to more than two physical outputs ( not counted the studio/controlroom) I want the same soundsignal just more than one time out of two of my 24!! physical outs. They never made the output mix track recordable.(or I never found out how it works)

Yes they don't because audio interfaces do that, Totalmix is the perfect solution for having a sound on all outputs.
You just click Loopback button on one of these outputs and record that signal in cubase in a new track.
Your old Cubase will do that. No problem.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Do you know / did you try Global Record already (part of DIGICheck tools, but only for windows) ?

It has been designed to be very robust and CPU friendly to be able to record many tracks over a long time
as long as there is disk space free ... Global Record records the audio channels interleaved to a file.

It works as ASIO client. As the RME interfaces work "multi asio client" you should be able to run Cubase
and Global Record at the same time.

+1 for Global Record

@tpmk

You can, also, try Reaper! It's free for a certain amount of time, with unlimited functionality. If you like it, you can buy it!
And as waedi said, you can use loopback in TMFX to record "what you hear" in an extra channel in your project!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thank you again. In the end all this helped me finally to understand the fantastic possibillities of Total Mix. Ok Audacity will still not record the internal Cubase output but now at least would record the PC sounds, Net Radio etc. if I want ( what I do not).
But now I really know how to use the splitter ability of my RME.  I bought a Tascam DR 05X and in mp3 mode I let it record hours while I experiment with my equipment.
So thank you all again for pushing me back to the manuals of RME!!