Topic: If I use the subwoofer out, does that reduce sound quality of mains?

Hello,

I just got a new RME Fireface UCX interface and am setting it up.  There isn't a subwoofer out and i was told to use the patch 1 and 2 outs into the subwoofer and the main speakers would be from the subwoofer out into the stereo mains.  Would that reduce the quality of the sound since the mains aren't being powered by the RME interface but rather a  cheep sub?

Is this the preferred way of hooking up a subwoofer to the RME Fireface because it's a little more complicated to set up than I expected.

Thanks!

Re: If I use the subwoofer out, does that reduce sound quality of mains?

there is no subwoofer output because this interface is for soundstudio and not directly for homecinema consumer stuff.
Your speaker system is bult the way it is and the Sub has stereo inputs and two mono outputs for the left and right speaker.
Connect the output 1 and 2 of the UCX to the input stereo of the sub and you are fine.
No, it does not reduce the sound quality, but...
Is this speaker set a 2.1 monitor set ?
Or do you want to connect some stuff ?
A Sub that has left and right output and there you want to connect two active monitors ?
You can do that but then the soundquality may be reduced or not optimal for working.
Are the monitors full range near field monitors ?
I would connect those only and keep the sub away from the setup.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by kar e 2021-02-27 23:18:58)

Thank you.  90% of my work is using just stereo speakers but when you demo it, you want the sub for a little excitement for the client so it's not for home theater, it's for pro audio needs which includes demoing.  Anyway, yes, I have a stereo main pair and sub so 2.1.  The monitors are full range near field.  I have my eyes/ears on an ATC SCM25A pair but those are way out of my price range for now but that's what I'm aiming for. 

One thing I didn't follow from what you said was "Connect the output 1 and 2 of the UCX to the input stereo of the sub and you are fine" but I wouldn't have the stereo monitors plugged in then but you went on to say if I drive the left and right output of the active monitors from the sub then I would get a sound quality reduction which is an issue.  Sorry if I sound confused, I am and am not that great with the tech side.

Is there no way with all those outputs to drive the main monitors from the RME AND simultaneously send to subwoofer using the subs crossover to only play back the very low frequencies?

4 (edited by waedi 2021-02-27 23:38:34)

Yes sorry I meant the main speakers then are also connected to the sub left and right.
The soundquality depends on the quality of the 2.1 system.
After your reply I would say it is better to connect the main speakers to the UCX 1 and 2 and the sub to the UCX 3 and 4.
Then you have the full quality on the main monitors and you can ad some sub from Totalmix very easy.

5 (edited by kar e 2021-02-28 01:10:59)

waedi wrote:

Yes sorry I meant the main speakers then are also connected to the sub left and right.
The soundquality depends on the quality of the 2.1 system.
After your reply I would say it is better to connect the main speakers to the UCX 1 and 2 and the sub to the UCX 3 and 4.
Then you have the full quality on the main monitors and you can ad some sub from Totalmix very easy.

Thank you, that is how I'd like to do it.  So if there is no sound coming from UCX 1 and 2, that means I need to route the audio hardware outputs in the TotalMix, right?  I'm sorry for asking too many questions, RME support is closed so trying to figure this out.  Just read the manual and they say the six channels are typically:

1. Left
2. Right
3. center
4. Low frequencies <- this should be the sub output
5. Rear Left
6. Rear Right

So looks like this should work with 3 and 4 going to sub, but it's not getting any output.

EDIT: Oh I'm an idiot, it does seem like the subwoofer is getting signal.  I understand now that TotalMix has three layers, hardware (mics) input, playback, and hardware outputs.  Now having the mains muted, I can clearly hear a signal is going to sub.  Just need to figure out how to balance it all out.

No you are not an idiot, you are welcome !
( small difference )

Some Totalmix videos, there are more but I couldn't find the three right ones so quick
https://youtu.be/0SJhl2wBc2k
https://youtu.be/CcWClPViBm0

You can use suggestions of typically output routings or just use all outputs as you like it, they are just outputs ready to let out whatever you mix in Totalmix.

Some subwoofers have a poti to set the frequency up to wich it shall sound.
If this is set to lowest (may be 45Hz) you may hear almost nothing.

Thank you, Maestro.  I will definitely check out the videos you linked.  I am LOVING this new interface!  The detail, separation, clarity...amazing!  But the very sad truth about great gear...it exposes deficiencies in the rest of your equipment. sad  Next year's project...better output (speakers and sub).