1 (edited by Wessel_14 2008-08-15 08:58:01)

Topic: Switching to multi processing causes CPU spikes and audio clicks

Hello all,

I'm having the following problem using a HDSP MADI PCI card in my core2duo pc:

everything is working spotless, and has for a year now, but I can't enable multi processing (to take full advantage of both processor cores) in Cubase SX3 and Cubase 4. When I turn this feature on in Cubase, at first playback seems to be ok, but after saving or switching projects it seems the processor schedualling(or how else you'd call the way in which the system sends data to and from the CPU?) somehow gets messed up and I start getting CPU spikes and audio clicks. This happens even in small projects with just a few audiotracks.

I've always suspected the onboard IDE controller to be the cause of this, but needed it for my DVD burner and system disk. Recently I've upgraded these to SATA devices and thought it would be a good time to try multiprocessing again. I've disabled all controllers I don't need in BIOS and did a complete re?nstall and optimised the system in the usual way, but still the problem persists.

I'm kind of running out of options here, so if somebody has any suggestions I'm dying to hear them. Thanks!

Best regards, Wessel.

System: Asus P5K-E Wifi MOBO, intel core2duo 6850 CPU, 1333Mhz FSB, 4GB RAM, seperate SATA RAID disk set for audio, SATA system disk, SATA DVD writer, ASUS EN6800GT Graphics card, RME HDSP MADI PCI card (the only legacy PCI device in the system) Win XP Professional SP3

Re: Switching to multi processing causes CPU spikes and audio clicks

give yourself a bit more latency as a quick fix... see if that helps.

you may be able to run more vsti with a bit more latency

Hi Roon,

I'm already at 1024 samples since I'm mainly doing mixing projects and latency isn't an issue. A bigger buffer won't make a difference: I've tried both bigger and smaller buffersizes.

Best regards, Wessel.

Have you tried running dpclat.exe when in dual CPU? It will only tell you what you already know in terms of hit on your internal bandwidth, but might serve as a quick tool to monitor as you turn devices and services on and off till you find the culprit.
I always suspect the vid card driver 1st, they have a habit of getting greedy, especially when they sense extra resources around. When you find the offender try PCILatencyTool.exe . (   http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951   ) to keep it in line. Just an idea.

Thanks, I'm back in the studio tomorrow and I'll give that a try. I'll keep you posted.....

OK, so i tried the following things:

ran dpclat.exe latency checker. It doesn't see my cpu spikes as latency issues. No difference in latency is visible when switching from one core to multicore processing. Stays firmly in the green area.

Disabled nvidea driver and used generic display drivers: no difference.

Disabled all network adapters: no difference

Ran pci latency tool: since the RME HDSP MADI is the only PCI device in the system, it is also the only device of which you are able to change PCI latency, switched from the default 255 to 016 anyhow, but no difference.

The nature of the problem still makes me wonder: if I open a project from scratch and Cubase is set to multi processing, everything is working fine. CPU usage is indeed twice as low compared to single core processing and playback is smooth. It is not untill I save the project or open another one, that the CPU spikes and audio dropouts start to appear. So what routine could be causing this? I still haven't got a clue.

Regards, Wessel.

SOLVED!!!!

Intel Matrix Storage Manager 7.5 was the problem (this is the driver for the onboard SATA RAID controller)
Upgraded to v8.5 and the issue dissappeared completely.

Best regards! Wessel

Glad you found it. How did you track it down? Or did you just go about looking for newer drivers for everything?
Best,
Bud Johnson

Nice info! Please report back in a week if it still works (I really hope so - but am sceptical by nature...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

To Redbrick: I had found a large topic in the Cubase-forum about problems with some Gigabit motherboards that have p35 chipsets. It occured to me that while I dind't have the same motherboard (Asus P5K-E) it does have the same chipset. Somebody stated that the Raid controller driver was the issue, so I'd thought I'd give that a go. But since I already had given pretty much everything i could think of a go, I already had the latest driver Asus offered on their website. So I figured I should try Intel's own website, where indeed a newer driver was up for download, which solved the problem. All in all it was just a lot of trial and error, lots of websurfing and a bit of luck, I guess. It is almost impossible to check if an onboard SATA-RAID controller is the issue, as disabling it causes windows not to boot (if your system disk is SATA, that is). The only way would be to install Windows without the bios in RAID mode and then run further tests.

Matthias: I mixed two projects yesterday without any problems, and with a two times lower CPU overhead! I'm pretty confident It'll last, because before I wouldn't even manage one Ctrl-S or project switch without instantly running into CPU spikes and clicks. But I'll keep my fingers crossed to be sure!

Regards, Wessel.

This is a reminder that we/you should always get the drivers from the chipset maker.
The mobo download pages nearly always is way to old.

I've seen several times during the years that upping the Intel ide/sata driver solves mysterious performance problems.

Glad it worked for you.

P

Also if you don't actually need RAID support, then just run your ICH Southbridge chip in standard IDE/SATA mode (specified in BIOS) - all of the SATA ports will still work fine and you will avoid all of the known Intel Raid issues that plague DAWs across the land smile

Intel's 8.5 Storage Manager is certainly better than 7.8, but standard IDE mode is even better if you don't need the Intel RAID features!

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

13 (edited by Dandruff 2008-08-22 07:25:46)

Intel Storage Manager isn't just for RAID operation. It's also needed for AHCI (to get Native Command Queuing) for example. Also Hot Plugging of drives isn't supported in IDE mode I think.

Yup - if you operate in AHCI mode in BIOS.  But if you don't need NCQ and Hot-Plug SATA support, then it is best left disabled in BIOS.  Run standard SATA/IDE mode with the regular SATA drivers...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8