Topic: Class compliant input over usb - Why not make them selectable?

Hi!

I own a Babyface Pro.

I read in manual that it is not possible to route the inputs of e.g the optical adat in to the hardware inputs 1&2 in class compliant mode.

This is possible on e.g the MOTU Ultralite AVB.

If I want to record something on my PC/main studio rig, using my regular rackmounted preamps, running it through my regular converters, it is possible to send this and record this on the iPad through the MOTU without performing two additional steps of D/A - A/D conversion, both via AVB and optical.

Anything can be routed to the class compliant seen 1&2 outputs.

On the BabyFace Pro, this is simply not possible. Am I right?

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-03 00:43:36)

Re: Class compliant input over usb - Why not make them selectable?

Connecting the adat out from your converter to the adat in of the Babyface should give you 8 channels for recording.
You should use your DAW to make the monitor mix for having some of the inputs on the analog outputs 1 and 2.
In Class compliant mode the DAW does replace Totalmix.
Or is the Totalmix iPad app suitable for mixing the Babyface in CC-mode ?
I don't have an iPad, I don't know it.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Nah, I don't think I made myself entirely clear.

I want the iPad to see the input over usb as coming from the class compliant input 1 and 2.

The only way to do this, is to actually plug analog cables into input 1 and 2, thus introducing two more steps of conversion.

I am using other apps on the iPad for fun, like a karaoke app (Sing by Smule). They cannot use the adat inputs as the adat inputs cannot be allocated to usb/PC/iPad in 1 & 2.

That cannot be sorted from the DAW side of things.

MOTU gets this.

RME doesn't.

Anyone interested in buying a used Babyface Pro?

I see what you mean. If using say the video capability or other apps they will always use inputs 1 and 2 only. You can’t make a choice from within the apps like you can GarageBand. I haven’t tried with my BFP as I don’t need this feature. I did try on my previous zoom in class compliant and I could only ever get 1 and 2. How do MOTU do it?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

The Babyface Pro has Loopback in TM FX. All you need is the app TotalMix FX for iPad. See manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME