Topic: RME Babyface Pro external DAC stuck at 24bit

Hello RME forum,

I'm having an issue with my Babyface Pro. When playing audio through WDM to my external DAC (Benchmark DAC 3), the DAC only receives a 24 bit 44.1khz signal. All WDM devices from my Babyface are set to 16bit 44.1khz and yet the signal doesn't change. It seems stuck at 24 bit somehow. I'm using the SPDIF out connection to feed the external DAC.

I know the babyface can't switch samplerate without ASIO but I hope this doesn't count for bit depth. Because windows will probably upsample the bit depth in real time. I'd love a bit perfect output to my external DAC smile

I was thinking about upgrading to the UFX 2 and use the AES out for my external DAC but the WDM drivers aren't quite up to scratch it seems (if the drivers are the same).

https://i.imgur.com/KluKnJH.png

Kind Regards,
Colin

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-03 22:06:47)

Re: RME Babyface Pro external DAC stuck at 24bit

Your DAC3 has a AES/EBU connector ?
I took a watch on the products website, they write having it but photos don't show it.
You have a Babyface Pro. There are the analog outs on the backside.
Perfect connectors for plug in the amplifier of the loudspeakers.
Taking the DAC out of the chain is a big step forward to perfection.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by iamelec 2021-03-03 22:14:34)

I have the DAC 3 DX. The only reason I’m using the Babyface is for the AD part. The DA is terrible compared to my DAC 3. Obviously not a fair comparison. But that’s not the point of my post. The DAC 3 follows whatever it’s being fed.

I see ! The DX has a XLR input connector !
What is gedeelde modus ?

That window from the computer is a bit weird, I can't understand why there is a digital preference to choose for loudspeakers, as loudspeakers are analog devices.

5 (edited by iamelec 2021-03-03 22:39:06)

I think the drivers are made like that. Loudspeaker is the main output from my Babyface assigned in Totalmix. As for gedeelde modus it means shared mode but I have no clue what that means in this context. Forgot my Windows is in Dutch! The captured windows you’re seeing in the screenshots is the sound device options menu in Windows 10.

From my understanding you can determine in this window in what bitdepth and samplerate Windows is feeding the digital audio to Babyface. The babyface then passed the digital audio over SPDIF to my DAC 3 DX and then it’s being converted to analog. In my case it’s stuck at 24bit even though I’ve selected 16bit.

6 (edited by waedi 2021-03-03 23:52:02)

May be this is good.
You should not be able to change bit in such a windows thing.
If I want to change the bit of a song, I have to import it into the DAW and then export it in those format.
But it makes no sense at all to change 24 bit into 16 bit.
If a music is produced in 24 bit, it should go thru the entire chain intakt.
I your case, it does not stuck, it remains (fortunately !)

In my case I’m 100% certain the material is in fact 16bit. Even if it would have been 24 bit, Windows would downsample it anyway. I can also check with the Benchmark drivers what should be the correct bit depth.

iamelec wrote:

I'm having an issue with my Babyface Pro. When playing audio through WDM to my external DAC (Benchmark DAC 3), the DAC only receives a 24 bit 44.1khz signal. All WDM devices from my Babyface are set to 16bit 44.1khz and yet the signal doesn't change. It seems stuck at 24 bit somehow. I'm using the SPDIF out connection to feed the external DAC.

You have TM FX faders not set to exactly 0 dB for the playback and SPDIF output channels. Or have other channels (like anlog input) also routed there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you! I did mix a input channel with the main output. And now it's correctly running in 16 bit.