1 (edited by Labdoc 2021-03-05 00:59:08)

Topic: UFX+ Thunderbolt Windows 10 PC - What works?

Edit: I have narrowed the problem to software: the playback program I have been using is Squeezebox server (formerly Logitech Music Server) + Squeezelite-X. When I switch to J.River Media Center player, there are no glitches. So, it is not an RME problem. Good News!

Problem: playback glitches. See my system details below.

Question:
What I am asking is whether someone has a Thunderbolt-UFX+ setup they are happy with, and if so, what are the barebones of the hardware and configuration

More details
Possible sources of the problem considered: 1. Hardware, 2. Windows setup, 3. BIOS setup, 4. Audio software for playback - I am using "simple" consumer audio playback software; I do not use Digital Audio Workstation recording software

I am asking about #1-3.

I am not looking for a cookbook on how to achieve glitch free audio. There are many of these on the forum.

Why do I use Thunderbolt and not USB? In my case, trying to allow a longer digital connection between the pc and UFX+ with a single cable and keeping it a simple as possible. My use is very simple: digital room correction measurement, processing and audio listening.

What have I tried? BIOS and windows settings as recommended on this forum and elswhere to optimize low latency. Use of Latencymon from Resplendence as detailed by MC a few years ago

Possible next steps - return to USB connection for the UFX+ is the most likely. However, I may try a different motherboard and Thunderbolt connection if someone answers that they have a working system.

Thanks for taking time to read and respond!

System:
Win 10x64 (20H2) v.19042 (clean install)
Asus Z390A prime motherboard
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 32 GB

RME Thunderbolt driver 06/27/2019 v.1.16
UFX ASIO sound driver
Clock source Internal
Totalmix 1.72
UFX+ SW version 44; Fireface UFX+: Thunderbolt 105, USB 51, DSP 44

Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt v 2.0 Latest firmware (2021-03-03) and Driver
Intel thunderbolt controller 2020-12-02 driver ver 1.41.1054

Thunderbolt 3 to 2 converter Startech
Thunderbolt cable 2 m Startech

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

Re: UFX+ Thunderbolt Windows 10 PC - What works?

> Why do I use Thunderbolt and not USB? In my case, trying to allow a longer digital connection between the pc and UFX+ with a single cable and keeping it a simple as possible.

You definitely got it the wrong way round.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

> You definitely got it the wrong way round.

So I have learned the hard way!

On the otherhand, the problem looks to be my playback software, not Thunderbolt, or my computer. I need to trial USB connected playback and see if the playback software continues to be a problem or not.

Murray

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

4 (edited by rokatansky 2021-07-04 07:41:18)

"someone has a Thunderbolt-UFX+ setup they are happy with"

Yep me.

Since UFX+ arrived I had it working perfectly with this set up:

Asus Z270-A mobo
Thunderboltex 3 card
Apple adapter TB2 to TB3
Apple TB 2 cable 2 meters and or Constings Optical TB 2 cable 18 feet
Latest Intel TB drivers
Windows 10 64 updated at day, UFX+ updated at day.

And in fact I have the UFX+ chained to an Apollo 8.
All work perfect.
But be aware that there are small details to configure at Bios and the Thunderboltex requires an specific pci port install and configuration.

Regards

That should be 'Corning Optical cable'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It is some months later and I have everything working. Running Latencymon (Resplendence.com) pointed me to the problem as being related to graphics. The playback 'glitches' (likely dropouts) disappeared after I installed a dedicated graphics card to relieve the CPU from graphics processing. The graphics card is fanless: MSI GT 1030 2GH LP OC.

So, for me, a big lesson is that a separate gpu is important, even with a powerful machine and not running games.

7 (edited by ramses 2021-07-04 12:30:22)

Absolutely, had similar problems and was happy to have a dedicated GPU on a business laptop.

Next point, it's about the quality of the driver, not occupying CPU cores for too long, as such "low-level" routines cannot be interrupted by the Windows process scheduler.

It's hard-coded into the driver when it releases a core - only (!) - based on programming conventions ... but when some GPU manufacturers want to shine in benchmarks, they become greedy -> longer execution time -> better benchmark value.

Not so tragic for normal applications, but if you have audio applications that require near real-time performance, then such a greedy behaviour is counterproductive.

I wish drivers had settings for this to be able to fine tune the behaviour (max time for CPU utilization).

When having to deal with audio, then GPU, Network drives etc could run with a little bit lower time budget ...

Its really *lame* that the industry didn't find solutions for that. CPUs are meanwhile so powerful, but drivers and services can still suck so much ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13