Topic: Audio Dropout on FF400

Good day to all of you!

After years of using my FF400, it started to give me problems.

1st on my old  Macbook Pro 2012 the firewire stopped from being recognised and I decided to buy an adaptor to turn the firewire 400 cable into thunderbolt. The result worked out although very badly as I lost control of the volume on the computer. I cant increase the volume on the Total Mix or on the sound tab of the macbook. It just keeps the same sound.

Now I bought a new m1 Mac mini, and due to having only the thunderbolt 3 inputs I added a new adapter. Now running with two adaptors I have frequent audio drops, especially when the FF400 is still "warming up". The "host" red light keeps turning on and the sound drops... Sometimes large ammounts of time.

By the way, there are two Firewire outputs on the RME FF400 but only one  of them actually works now.

Anyone with good tips??

Re: Audio Dropout on FF400

FF400 leaving the house, new Babyface Pro FS is moving into the house.
Welcome the new family member.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Try a different power supply for the FF400.

If you're lucky, it's the external PSU dying. If not, it's the internal chopper/booster. Repair for that is expensive, but it's an entirely new mainboard for the FF400, incl. all new connectors.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

If one of both FW ports don't work the internal FW chip might be damaged. That would explain any kind of instability you see.

Trying a different power supply still is a good idea - in case you used one. If not then that is the reason it currently doesn't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If one of both FW ports doesn't work the internal FW chip might be damaged. That would explain any kind of instability you see.

Trying a different power supply still is a good idea - in case you used one. If not then that is the reason it currently doesn't work.

I already tried various new power supplies and no success on making it work.

Where can i have my soundcard looked after? Anywhere in Portugal, near Braga or Porto you would recommend? Any special kind of shop would be suitable?

6 (edited by waedi 2021-03-07 21:48:15)

In Porto is one the Ludimusic
https://www.ludimusic.com
Av. da Boavista 25, 4050-114 Porto, Portugal

Or just order online from Thomann

waedi wrote:

In Porto is one the Ludimusic
Av. da Boavista 25, 4050-114 Porto, Portugal

Or just order online from Thomann

Im not looking to buy... I just want to repair my unit.

For repair, I would contact the RME support directly.