Topic: Babyface pro fs or fireface uc

Hi, i'm going to buy a new interface, but i don't know which is better between babyface pro fs and fireface uc, i don't care about the difference of price, or number of inputs and outputs.
Which is better between them?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-03-06 21:48:09)

Re: Babyface pro fs or fireface uc

If it's not the type and number of I/O ports, then what is it that is essential to you in a recording interface in the first place ?

Which product have you used so far or is the topic completely new for you?

It would help you to think about what you actually need or how quality is defined for you.  After that, you can actually talk about what covers your requirements better or worse.

Maybe my Excel comparison sheet helps you:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Babyface has newer technology inside I think.
Both units are great interfaces.
What is your main purpose ?
Listening music from your computer ?
producing music ?
Producing video livestreams ?
gaming ?
Recording a microphone ?
Guitar and mic ? Singer songwriter ?

Let us know where you want to go and the solution will come much easier.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for the reply. I need one of them to upgrade my home studio set where i produce music, record instruments, mix, mastering, ecc.... well, i need to know which one is the most versatile.

5 (edited by ramses 2021-03-07 18:39:23)

All RME interfaces are very versatile because all use the same operating software TotalMix FX since over 20y. The software was clever designed from ground up and reached by this a very high level of maturity for every product.

RME is also known for the excellence of their drivers in terms of reliability, performance and low latency (RTL) no matter whether you use Firewire/USB/Thunderbolt or PCI/PCIe. The RTL (Round Trip Latency) values of USB and PCIe products are even "on par". So simply take what fits your demands best (-> we want to know your demands !).

RME makes the communication to the PC with their own FPGA chip. So they do not need to rely on 3rd party communication chips that could turn out to be faulty or slow for some connections and could not be fixed. RME can update everything in their own FPGA by flashing it with a new Firmware, so RME is able to fix everything on their side. All the other consumer interfaces on the market have simply a cheaper design without FPGAs and have therefore not the speed and quality.

So it boils down to the question, what demands you have for now and what port/feature reserves you might need for your future demand or if you need to connect external devices through ADAT or MADI now or later and at what sample rate.

Sorry, but it makes really no sense to propose to you an interface "out of random" without knowing what you need.

Suggestion: it would be nice if you could start by describing your current environment including what Recording Interface and PC you are using now, what external equipment you might have. Knowing your PC would include the possibility to check, whether also a PCIe based interface could be feasible for you.

Also maybe tell by what you felt limited with your current solution, so that we can recommend to you something proper which brings you further in the wanted direction.

Do you have an idea, whats the maximum budget for such a solution for you ?

When I asked you to deliver information for the type and amount of ports that you need, then I meant this:
- Line inputs and outputs (maybe to connect external compressor and what not)
- Mic inputs .. in case you are a drummer you might need more Mic Ports than two ...
- Instrument inputs .. maybe you are a guitarist and want to play always or sometimes through a virtual amp
- MIDI - maybe you have a stage piano with MIDI port where you want to send a MIDI track and render it to audio
- SPDIF - maybe you have a kemper amp and want to connect it digitally
- ADAT - maybe you have external preamps or converter and need to connect it through ADAT
- AES, Word Clock, ...

Regarding special RME features
that you do not find on every interface, here a little list so that you know what I mean:
- AUTOSET - helps to set the proper level in Mic and Instr inputs and takes care that gain becomes adjusted to prevent clipping... Only available with: UCX, 802, UFX II, UFX+
- DURec - direct USB recording to USB stick or disk, to be used as backup recording which is very useful in case the PC/DAW would hang or to be used as simple tape deck or for recording in so called stand-alone mode.... Only available with UFX II / UFX +
- Bigger Display (UFX II, UFX+) so that you can control the interface better even when operating in stand-alone mode
- Additional port for ARC USB (UFX II, UFX+): then you can use the ARC USB also in stand-alone mode and directly connect it to the back of your recording interface.
- FX chip on board - so that you can add directly reverb to a vocalist if he feels more comfortably for singing (UCX, 802, UFXII, UFX+, HDSPe MADI FX). Babyface Pro has a partial implementation and calculates some FX through the ASIO driver on PC.

Digital Ports for expansions to connect additional preamps and converters:
- ADAT (8ch @44.1/48, 4ch @88.2/96, 2ch @176,4/192 kHz)
- MADI (64ch @44.1/48, 32ch @88,2/96), 16ch @176,4/192 kHz)

Support for Word Clock (WC)
Useful in some situations where external devices have no digital ADAT IN port to be able to become clock synched through this port. Not all interfaces have a WC port.

Maybe you understand now, why I prefer some concrete information to be able to make you a good recommendation wink

>
> well, i need to know which one is the most versatile.
>

What do you mean with versatile, in what regards please ?! Sorry but these are "nice wishes", but do not tell a story what you expect or actually need.

The most versatile interface is the RME Fireface UFX+
Get it best bundeled with the ARC USB: https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_fireface_ … bundle.htm €2298
Here a blog article about this interface: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

As an option you can add an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to this setup as I did
To get all the nice unique features of it for monitors and phones, not required, but nice if budget allows:
https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_adi_2_pro … dition.htm €1739
Here a blog article how to best integrate it into your setup: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I use a macbookpro i5 , ram 16gb for now
My studio room has an acoustic treatment
I'm going to buy also an external preamp to record many instrument, guitar, keyboard, voice, ecc
Then i use midi instrument
I'm monitoring with focal shape 65, and akg headphones
My budget is 1000 € and i want an interface with a good quality sound and a good latency
Finally i think i will buy the ucx

Good choice.