Topic: Fireface UFX+ screeching on startup - now no output

Hi forum I wonder if there's any experience of this here.

For a few weeks there's been a really loud screeching sound through my (very expensive) monitors, either on startup or sometimes when starting my DAW or say Tidal. Its was hard to tell what would cause it but it came from all outputs including headphones.

Yesterday I found I have no output at all from the unit although all lights and display is working. The unit is about 14 months old. It has the latest driver for Big Sur (getting that to run on my iMAC was a separate huge problem).

Has anyone else found this? It is mounted in a rack, could it have overheated?

Any help much appreciated.

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-10 18:03:40)

Re: Fireface UFX+ screeching on startup - now no output

...it is mounted in a rack, could it have overheated?

What else is in that rack ?

I had a lot of rack gear and always put some pieces of square wood between the units for separation.
Overheating can damage every electric device, the elkos (electrolyte capacitors) dry out and then its dead.

I would take it out of the rack and try to get it working alone with a computer, the iMac, just the computer and the UFX only, listening a song over the headphone, to ensure the interface is working.
If the issue is not going away, can you make a small video and post the link ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

> I had a lot of rack gear and always put some pieces of square wood between the units for separation.

I would recommend screwing the equipment properly into the rack and not putting wooden pieces in between. This will only reduce the area for heat dissipation a) through the case and b) through the rack.

And before you dismantle the device, so that the situation can be properly assessed first:

1. do you have a digital thermometer with temperature sensor? See how many degrees of heat are produced at the warmest point on the top of the case.
2. take a photo, so you can not really imagine how the heat dissipation will be.

For comparison. I have three devices in a 4 RU rack, then you have between each device about a finger width air. That's just about enough if the heat dissipation is purely passive and you have no airflow in the rack.

If you want to try the device again, then I would also reset the mix in TM FX and create a new submix for phones. And if it no longer works, then contact best by mail to the RME support, they can then tell you what you should do best.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by waedi 2021-03-10 18:41:22)

The wood pieces have to be small of course.
We do exactly the same thing ! Having space between the units for heat dissipating.
Some old heavy devices are not stable when only screwed on the front and the whole unit is hanging free in the rack.
Overheating is not our friend.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Aah, then its ok, was already wondering waedi.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13