Topic: Potentially helpful testing utility.

As a recent adopter of a full AVB based location recording system, I wished to perform many "burn-in" tests of the system in difference scenarios to ensure I understood what was good practice and what was potentially risky. In the past I have configured a console or a DAW with some tone and a gate to trigger when an issue would arise, but this requires you to be in attendance.

Over the past few years I have learned how to use NodeJS and thought this could be used to help in creating a small utility server to email me when there was an audio dropout in my test system. I have had this working over the past week and its been very helpful so I thought I would share it.

Its a bit techie, but the components can be used separately if you don't want to use the NodeJS server and just use Reaper. The source code and Reaper session can be grabbed at my GitHub account.

https://github.com/tonydavidcray/Midi_To_Mail

Midi To Mail
A Reaper and NodeJS tool to send an email when Reaper detects an Audio Dropout.

In the complex world of digital audio, there are times where thorough testing is required of many interconnected devices to ensure a reliable system has been created. One basic test is a burn-in, where live inputs are recorded to ensure consistent signals are recieved. Effective monitoring of this test is challenging due to the long frame often involved. Here are two simple tools to assist with this task.

1. A Reaper session that records an input and will detect an audio dropout resulting in a full scale tone being emiited / recorded for easy visual indication of the dropout.

2. An additional utility to send an email when a dropout is detected.

Reaper
An input track is created and the desired test audio input is selected. This track is recorded for later analysis. A post fade send of this track is sent to a Detector Track that has a tone generator instansiated and is connected to the Left Aux input of a JS Gate. This gate is configured to be inverted so it opens and allows the tone to come through when the live audio input drops out. The JS Gate plug is set to send a Midi Note out when the gate passes its threshold.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/44496093/110736698-3b76d380-8280-11eb-95a0-ef50f0d8bcfa.png

NodeJS
- Install NodeJS using your OS's download from the NodeJS site.
- Install npm ( if not done so via the above NodeJS installer
- Install the dependant packages defined in the "app.js" header
- Fill in your GMail account details in the **sendGmail()** function.
- In the terminal, cd to the MidiToMail directory and run "node app.js" (anytime you start or stop the NodeJS Script you will need to "Refresh All Midi Devices" in the Reaper Preferences.

Reaper needs to now have the "Midi To Mail" Midi device enabled in the preferences, then the Detector track needs its Midi Hardware output in teh "I/O" section set to this device.

The NodeScript has a variable to set the minimum time between mails being sent, its default is 1 minute, as Google limits the amount of mails you can send per 24hr rolling period. I think its 500 per day for a normal Gamil account, or 2000 per day for a workspace account.

Once up and running, its time to take a friend or a small dog for a walk and get some fresh air instead of watching a VU meter.

Re: Potentially helpful testing utility.

this is fantastic !
Midi to beer !
Every time someone in the orchestra plays the note E2 Reaper sends an email to the food delivery service ordering a beer for the audio engineer.
Could also be a pizza and a cola of course.
Hopefully Reaper never gets intelligent, destroying the world with spam mails..

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Ha, ha!!
MIDI-to-Beer would make for a great plug-in name!

@tdc
Thank you very much for this!!
This is some very clever thinking!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Awww, man! Yet another tool to study. Maybe I can stop sleeping to gain time? big_smile

No, seriously, this is absolutely fabulous. I'm sure this will be very handy in the system I'm currently building.

Thanks, tdc!

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

tdc wrote:

As a recent adopter of a full AVB based location recording system, I wished to perform many "burn-in" tests of the system in difference scenarios to ensure I understood what was good practice and what was potentially risky. In the past I have configured a console or a DAW with some tone and a gate to trigger when an issue would arise, but this requires you to be in attendance.

Over the past few years I have learned how to use NodeJS and thought this could be used to help in creating a small utility server to email me when there was an audio dropout in my test system. I have had this working over the past week and its been very helpful so I thought I would share it.

Its a bit techie, but the components can be used separately if you don't want to use the NodeJS server and just use Reaper. The source code and Reaper session can be grabbed at my GitHub account.

https://github.com/tonydavidcray/Midi_To_Mail

Midi To Mail
A Reaper and NodeJS tool to send an email when Reaper detects an Audio Dropout.

In the complex world of digital audio, there are times where thorough testing is required of many interconnected devices to ensure a reliable system has been created. One basic test is a burn-in, where live inputs are recorded to ensure consistent signals are recieved. Effective monitoring of this test is challenging due to the long frame often involved. Here are two simple tools to assist with this task.

1. A Reaper session that records an input and will detect an audio dropout resulting in a full scale tone being emiited / recorded for easy visual indication of the dropout.

2. An additional utility to send an email when a dropout is detected.

Reaper
An input track is created and the desired test audio input is selected. This track is recorded for later analysis. A post fade send of this track is sent to a Detector Track that has a tone generator instansiated and is connected to the Left Aux input of a JS Gate. This gate is configured to be inverted so it opens and allows the tone to come through when the live audio input drops out. The JS Gate plug is set to send a Midi Note out when the gate passes its threshold.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/44496093/110736698-3b76d380-8280-11eb-95a0-ef50f0d8bcfa.png

NodeJS
- Install NodeJS using your OS's download from the NodeJS site.
- Install npm ( if not done so via the above NodeJS installer
- Install the dependant packages defined in the "app.js" header
- Fill in your GMail account details in the **sendGmail()** function.
- In the terminal, cd to the MidiToMail directory and run "node app.js" (anytime you start or stop the NodeJS Script you will need to "Refresh All Midi Devices" in the Reaper Preferences.

Reaper needs to now have the "Midi To Mail" Midi device enabled in the preferences, then the Detector track needs its Midi Hardware output in teh "I/O" section set to this device.

The NodeScript has a variable to set the minimum time between mails being sent, its default is 1 minute, as Google limits the amount of mails you can send per 24hr rolling period. I think its 500 per day for a normal Gamil account, or 2000 per day for a workspace account.

Once up and running, its time to take a friend or a small dog for a walk and get some fresh air instead of watching a VU meter.

Cool idea... thank you. I'm going to try this out, too.