Topic: Multiclient asio for VST insert

Hello. I'm looking into buying a babyface, and I'm trying to figure how the multiclient asio driver would work with vst inserts. A quick search revealed that there's no way to insert a VST in totalmix fx and that's fine. Wasn't expecting it to be that easy.

Currently, I'm using voicemeeter latched on top of my interface's asio driver, giving me all the routing and i/o vst insert functionality I need for live vocal/instrument processing and monitor correction systemwide. This functionality is necessary for applications that don't work with asio. In the DAW I'd much rather work with the native driver, since voicemeeter adds a bit of extra latency and instability that's not ideal for recording sessions.

Of course my current interface doesn't have a true multiclient asio driver, so while voicemeeter is occupying the asio driver, I can't access it from my daw and I have to use voicemeeter's virtual asio driver or keep doing gymnastics to switch drivers 10 times a day.

I was wondering if that would be any different with rme's famous multiclient asio driver. Having voicemeeter always on, yet still being able to use the native asio driver in my daw while voicemeeter is still latched onto it for handling the wdm stuff would be fantastic.

Or if there's a better way to have vst inserts for wdm applications through totalmix that wouldn't require voicemeeter, I'd love to hear it.

Re: Multiclient asio for VST insert

Pls search the forum, has already been discussed that TM FX is not designed to allow for VST inserts.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Pls search the forum, has already been discussed that TM FX is not designed to allow for VST inserts.

"A quick search revealed that there's no way to insert a VST in totalmix fx and that's fine. Wasn't expecting it to be that easy."

Please read the actual post. That's not what I'm asking, and I did search before asking as I said.

Sorry misread.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by vinark 2021-03-11 10:16:21)

stej wrote:

Hello. I'm looking into buying a babyface, and I'm trying to figure how the multiclient asio driver would work with vst inserts. A quick search revealed that there's no way to insert a VST in totalmix fx and that's fine. Wasn't expecting it to be that easy.

Currently, I'm using voicemeeter latched on top of my interface's asio driver, giving me all the routing and i/o vst insert functionality I need for live vocal/instrument processing and monitor correction systemwide. This functionality is necessary for applications that don't work with asio. In the DAW I'd much rather work with the native driver, since voicemeeter adds a bit of extra latency and instability that's not ideal for recording sessions.

Of course my current interface doesn't have a true multiclient asio driver, so while voicemeeter is occupying the asio driver, I can't access it from my daw and I have to use voicemeeter's virtual asio driver or keep doing gymnastics to switch drivers 10 times a day.

I was wondering if that would be any different with rme's famous multiclient asio driver. Having voicemeeter always on, yet still being able to use the native asio driver in my daw while voicemeeter is still latched onto it for handling the wdm stuff would be fantastic.

Or if there's a better way to have vst inserts for wdm applications through totalmix that wouldn't require voicemeeter, I'd love to hear it.

Yes this works and I use this (you can have as many asio clients active as you want). I use guitar rig standalone as a reverb or delay for vocals. You can return it on a the same channel as my daw. Although you can of course return it on any channel and mix it in in totalmix.
Only thing is and that is no problem for me I can process one stereo input this way, not a mix.
That is also possible, with loopback, but I will only explain how if you don't know already and you do need it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Yes this works and I use this (you can have as many asio clients active as you want). I use guitar rig standalone as a reverb or delay for vocals. You can return it on a the same channel as my daw. Although you can of course return it on any channel and mix it in in totalmix.
Only thing is and that is no problem for me I can process one stereo input this way, not a mix.
That is also possible, with loopback, but I will only explain how if you don't know already and you do need it.

Sounds great, assuming that voicemeeter's hold on the asio driver is no deeper than any standalone asio application like guitar rig and would work the same way.

If there's anybody actually using voicemeeter with an rme interface that can confirm it works, please do share.

No that does not exist a deeper grip, I can use apps programs daws all together with asio.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632