1 (edited by soundslikejoe 2020-09-04 01:22:03)

Topic: UFX+ change sample rate = speakers pop

Notice this almost every time...  when changing clock rates (96 to 48 to xx) the left speaker will POP or CLICK or etc (how ever you want to describe it...  very short transient, like a trigger is sent out the analog output. 

Is this normal?  Seems could damage speakers if loud. Any advice appreciated.

Driver v0.9716
Firmware 51

Re: UFX+ change sample rate = speakers pop

I get this as well and am equally concerned. Does my nerves in too.

Driver 0.9734
Firmware 52

Bump...   Anyone else have an answer for this?  Seems like a basic thing and ABSOLUTELY is bad for speakers....  Why does changing sample rate cause an analog audio signal output?

Disable input monitoring and the click should be gone.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I had this too. Should I disable Totalmix input monitoring or DAW input monitoring?
In my case I only use DAW to monitoring once I'm using TM in DAW mode.

I can't believe how often this pops up ?
Is it then so complicated to just switch off the monitors or turn down the volumen when doing configurations in the background ?
How can you change sample rate and having the loudspeakers on ?
Don't do that !
and why at all is a sample rate change to be done ?
One decision, once and for all time.
Let the sample rate there and never change it !
it seems to be a failure of the whole audio gear industry when they implemented sample rate change possibilities.
To make it even easier for you, choose 44,1 kHz and stay there.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

MC wrote:

This does correct the majority of the problem.  With all inputs down, some small click is still heard from Analog 03 output (center channel in surround system) but it's very low.  The major loud click was fixed by pulling input 01 from active to off.  Can likely remember to do this when working....  depending on the day, job, and amount of pressure we're under. 

Is there a Total Mix keyboard shortcut to disable all inputs? Occasionally we have 32+ inputs active in a monitor mix, and would need to change sample rates. Maybe a macro assignment via ARC USB?

waedi wrote:

I can't believe how often this pops up ?
Is it then so complicated to just switch off the monitors or turn down the volumen when doing configurations in the background ?
How can you change sample rate and having the loudspeakers on ?
Don't do that !
and why at all is a sample rate change to be done ?
One decision, once and for all time.
Let the sample rate there and never change it !
it seems to be a failure of the whole audio gear industry when they implemented sample rate change possibilities.
To make it even easier for you, choose 44,1 kHz and stay there.

I see you have not worked in a fast paced audio post production workplace. The world is not as you would think. For example...  if I delivered things at 44.1, I would be fired....  or at least not considered for future employment. wink

I work in 48kHz at a minimum (job requirement), and switch to 96kHz (depending on the task) a few dozen times a day.

soundslikejoe wrote:
MC wrote:

This does correct the majority of the problem.  With all inputs down, some small click is still heard from Analog 03 output (center channel in surround system) but it's very low.  The major loud click was fixed by pulling input 01 from active to off.  Can likely remember to do this when working....  depending on the day, job, and amount of pressure we're under.

Well, you had input monitoring of channel 1 open all time. Adding that noise signal (if silent input) to all your mixes. Were you aware of that?

soundslikejoe wrote:

Is there a Total Mix keyboard shortcut to disable all inputs?

Simply make a mute group.

That said we think we can improve this in the next firmware so a mute group is no longer needed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
soundslikejoe wrote:
MC wrote:

Well, you had input monitoring of channel 1 open all time. Adding that noise signal (if silent input) to all your mixes. Were you aware of that?

soundslikejoe wrote:

Is there a Total Mix keyboard shortcut to disable all inputs?

Simply make a mute group.

That said we think we can improve this in the next firmware so a mute group is no longer needed.

Good tips.  Will mute group and look forward to firmware update.

Yep...   we've got our line noise down to -96db on average...   with Analog 01 and ADAT 01/02 being up 24/7 (figuratively speaking) for the workflow. Luckily we're a busy and active place with lots of people in and out, and things happening all day. Maybe tracking large groups one day. Doing VO/ADR/Foley the next. Total Mix is the centerpiece of our signal routing, and direct monitoring, and headphone mixes. So...  it can get crazy as to which input channels are up on a given session....   and they may be different for control room, headphone 01, and headphone 02. At a max we have all analog inputs, 32 channels from MADI and 16 channels from ADAT being monitored through TM.

Mute Groups!  Sounds like a good idea.

Did that update go out yet? I sometimes find myself working with different sample rates on the same day and have come to expect the pop (though it is jarring).

Recently I started using Qobuz at 96k. The problem is the catalogue has varying sample rates.

ufx ii / bfp

It is out since April, also for the UFX II.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC, I guess I need to disable input monitoring prior to the sample rate change?

That would be kind of hard to keep up with when listening to audiophile streaming sources. I am using the BFP at the moment with the latest software and it still pops.

ufx ii / bfp

The BFP fix will come soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The BFP fix will come soon.

Got the new software, thanks !! Huge QOL improvement.

Incredible software and updates makes it very hard to stray from RME products smile

ufx ii / bfp

Is this in the latest update for UFX II? (firmware 22, driver 3.27). I'm still getting pops.

ufx ii / bfp

Pops with what and where and when?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Same problem with UCX II and ROON

WASAPI - No pop
http://webtest1.mate.at/UCXII_WASAPI.MOV

ASIO - Pop
http://webtest1.mate.at/UCXII_ASIO.MOV

best regards
Gue

You are posting in the wrong thread. Different topic here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME