1 (edited by LucidSFX 2021-03-13 21:41:38)

Topic: Standalone Hardware Control (HUI) (SOLVED but open to suggestions)

**Edited to be focused on Standalone mode**

I am debating to buying a console to replace my UFX unless I can find a midi controller that works and feels like a console (not too cheap). Most aspects of totalmix needs to be accessible on the console (EQ / Dynamics / FX). I can use totalmix remote for some things but prefer not to use a touch screen. So my question is, is there a controller that you recommend that will work with when working in standalone mode?

I am just building my hardware only setup. I plan to mix straight to USB and hope to one day just get rid of the computer. So, either there is a viable solution to use my existing hardware ($$) or I will by a digital console ($$$$). 

**EDIT 2**
I have read through countless threads. Many touch or ask about the same things I am going for. Specifically I would like the  most comprehensive control available which appears to be OSC (edit:confirmed). I am looking to see if there are any hardware controllers which send OSC commands in standalone mode (edit: no).

***EDIT 3***
Ok no hardware controllers for OSC. Meaning, it appears that either I keep my computer and use total mix with my mouse (blegh), use the front panel for all mixing duties (eesh but doable with my low 24 track count), or buy a digital console. I am still open to suggestions though.

Thanks

2 (edited by hselters 2021-03-13 22:22:55)

Re: Standalone Hardware Control (HUI) (SOLVED but open to suggestions)

We are using a Digidesign Pro Control with V-Control Pro here, working great for tracknames, level/metering and faders in Total Mix with Mackie Control MIDI mode.
Something more portable would be a Behringer Bcf 2000 which could possibly also work in standalone mode.

For EQ and Dynamics we currently use the mouse.

However, we are also controlling some mute groups and faders in Total Mix through Max MSP via OSC and a connected iPad as an interface.
In Max it would be possible to add a MIDI controller and remap it to the desired OSC function like EQ, but of course this requires a computer.

Achieving this in standalone mode is quite an endeavour. How would the UFX receive OSC in standalone mode? I suppose it can only receive OSC via USB? Probably no way around a computer, though it could maybe work with a little raspberry which could translate a connected Midi controller into OSC.
Though I am not sure if the UFX would work or at least receive OSC from a Linux System.

So in short: if you want a digital mixer then probably get a digital mixer, might be the better and more stable solution smile

Thanks for the response. It appears that you are right. I am considering A&H SQ6 and sell my UFX. Too bad because it really could have been a perfect solution.

hselters wrote:

We are using a Digidesign Pro Control with V-Control Pro here, working great for tracknames, level/metering and faders in Total Mix with Mackie Control MIDI mode.
Something more portable would be a Behringer Bcf 2000 which could possibly also work in standalone mode.

For EQ and Dynamics we currently use the mouse.

However, we are also controlling some mute groups and faders in Total Mix through Max MSP via OSC and a connected iPad as an interface.
In Max it would be possible to add a MIDI controller and remap it to the desired OSC function like EQ, but of course this requires a computer.

Achieving this in standalone mode is quite an endeavour. How would the UFX receive OSC in standalone mode? I suppose it can only receive OSC via USB? Probably no way around a computer, though it could maybe work with a little raspberry which could translate a connected Midi controller into OSC.
Though I am not sure if the UFX would work or at least receive OSC from a Linux System.

So in short: if you want a digital mixer then probably get a digital mixer, might be the better and more stable solution smile

"How would the UFX receive OSC in standalone mode? I suppose it can only receive OSC via USB? Probably no way around a computer, though it could maybe work with a little raspberry which could translate a connected Midi controller into OSC."

Did anyone investigate this further ?
I'd like to use touchosc with a "standalone" rme ufx, through a raspberry.
What if we let the rpi convert received osc to midi and back ?
with something like https://github.com/velolala/touchosc2midi