Topic: New RME AIO Pro terrible Cubase Performance

Hi, I´ve just replaced my Motu Avb (USB) interface with the new RME AIO PRO, and I have found out that Cubase performance with large orchestral projects is incredibly worse. With the Motu, I could run the projects at 1024 buffer and not a single hiccup and with the RME, I have to put the buffer at 4096 and still have problems (and lots of latency).

Some folks at Gearslutz are helping me and talking about dual Usb safety buffers, etc.

But I have read that RME PCI is one of the best for composing rigs so I didn´t expect this behaviour, I have tried to change the pci slot but nothing happened, DPC latency mon is fine, wireless LAN turned off, C states all disabled

Did anybody had this issue and worked things out?

PS: I also have the imfamous headphone noise when I move my mouse....so far no very happy with RME

Re: New RME AIO Pro terrible Cubase Performance

Hello!

Are you on Windows or Mac? Which OS?
Also, which driver and firmware versions?(numbers, please)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Hi, I am on Windows 10 latest version, the computer is a 9900k with 64gb (Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro), AMD video Card.
Drivers are 4.36 and upgraded firmware after installation, it says version 20 and up to date.

pablo1980 wrote:
MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Hi, I am on Windows 10 latest version, the computer is a 9900k with 64gb (Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro), AMD video Card.
Drivers are 4.36 and upgraded firmware after installation, it says version 20 and up to date.

Sorry but "Latest version" is an invalid information. Please use version numbers. Is it 2004 or 20H2 ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
pablo1980 wrote:
MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Sorry but "Latest version" is an invalid information. Please use version numbers. Is it 2004 or 20H2 ?

Sorry for that, it is 20H2. Thanks in advance for looking into this!

Re-checked your posting #1. Can you please give concrete numbers ? That would be very helpful for understanding the issue and any potential troubleshooting and RME support.

> With the Motu, I could run the projects at 1024 buffer and not a single hiccup and
> with the RME, I have to put the buffer at 4096 and still have problems (and lots of latency).

Are you talking about the same project on the same computer using the same sample rate ??

What is a "lot of latency" ? Could you kindly put a concrete example ?
What Input/output latency
- does Motu ASIO driver
- does RME ASIO driver
report at the same sample rate (e.g. 44.1 kHz) and at the same ASIO buffer size (e.g. 512) ?

Giving concrete information makes it much easier to cross check whether some of the numbers look strange, etc.

> also have the imfamous headphone noise when I move my mouse....so far no very happy with RME

Your Motu was USB based. With PCIe cards its can happen that some noise appears. But it doen't need to be the fault of the card, this can also come from PSU, mainboard. Comparing USB with PCIe based devices is not the same.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,
They are the same projects, same computer, just disconnected the MOTU, fully uninstalled drivers (also in hidden drivers in device manager), installed AIO PRO, new drivers, new firmware.

Opened cubase, load project, same sample rate (48k)

Regarding latency, since I uninstalled the motu I cannot measure it.
AIO PRO At 4096 buffer, Cubase is reporting 85ms in, 86 out, (170 asio guard).

But I remember that the MOTU was managable at 1024, I could play VSTIs without much delay, that´s not possible with the AIO at 4096. At 2048 AIO gives lots of dropouts.

I have read about safety buffers with USB, but Motu at 1024 should be roughly the same to AIO at 2048?

There must be something I am doing wrong, because I have only read succesful cases of composers running similar projects with similar computers and no hiccups, I went with PCIe and not a babyface because of all the recommendations.

About the headphones, I now it is possible but there must be something I could do, I have dissabled c states in the BIOS, and changed the computer outlet socket and it helped a little. I have read that I can shield the bracket with tape so it doesn´t make contact with the chassis.

Again thanks for your help!

New info, opened a more demanding project that worked fine with the motu at 1024, and can´t get it to play properly at 4096 (even disabling some intensive plugins). Something is definetly wrong

Some information about your system would be helpful.

PC or Laptop ? Which CPU, Mainboard, how many DRAM, HD or SSD ?

I am wondering that you need such high ASIO buffer size values...
I am also using some VST and VSTi but usually can use buffersize values between 32 and 256.
In rare cases, when having a very bad VST, the maximum that I needed was 512.

And even with many tracks (400) and many VSTs enabled (~800) I have no audio drops at ASIO buffersizes
of only 32 samples and sample rates of single or double speed up to 96 kHz and no matter whether using
RayDAT (PCIe) or UFX+ (USB3), see here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/

And yes, if you select such high ASIO buffersize of 2048 or 4096 then the latency is that much.
But I am not sure about 4096 whether this is available for single speed.

Can it be the case that you run the project at double speed (88.2/96 kHz), because then the buffersizes
are double compared to single speed, that would explain the 4096.
But it could also be the case that the HDSPe driver has a higher maximum value at single speed.

How high are
- CPU load and
- your ASIO load
when playing back such a project ?

Are you running at high performance energy profile ?

How is your DPC latency on an IDLE system ? You can make measurements with the Tool LatencyMon.
Search the forum, several checks have been made already.
If you make this measurement please take care to do this on a freshly booted system, just logged in,
waiting until all processes are started up, then start latencymon for at least 10min.
On an IDLE system, please no keyboard activity or mouse movement, this Test creates a typical DAW load on its own.

This is a desktop PC, 9900k, gigabyte z390 aorus master pro wifi, 64gb ram, all ssd (m2 boot). working with 2 extra computers with VEP7 (could it be the VEP extra buffer making some problems?)

If I try to run under 2048 it doesn´t play at all. They are all 48k/24bit projects. way less Vst than 800. I expected a gain in performance and stability, so this doesn´t feel right.

I will check cpu level with windows monitor, ASIO load is 99%.
High performance profile, PCI express Power Management Settings Link State Power Management is off.
I have tried with MCCSS on and off in AIO settings and it´s the same. The same with ASIO Guard in low, mid and high.

I will run latency mon again, I only did it for 5 minutes yesterday, get back to you in 11 minutes wink

11 (edited by ramses 2021-03-15 12:50:27)

> way less Vst than 800.
Could you kindly be more specific, way less is no number ...

> could it be the VEP extra buffer making some problems
I have no experience with such an environment, sorry.
What means on two extra computers ? Can you pls explain the signal flow ?
Does it mean that two extra computer are there as VEP7 "number crunchers" and that there is an instant communication between your main machine running the DAW and those 2 VEP7 computers ? Sorry, but you need to explain this to me a bit more ...

Otherwise .. .make a check .. similar project, do not use VEP, does it make a difference ?

Hint: if something does not work as expected, try to change 1 parameter and/or simplify to be able to catch the root cause ...

> gigabyte z390 aorus master pro wif
Does turning off Wifi make a difference ? We will see what LatencyMOn will report.

> get back to you in 11 minutes
Don't hurry .. wink

>Could you kindly be more specific, way less is no number ...
About 30 Vienna Ensemble Pro instrument tracks (but they have lots of kontakt in the Vienna server aplication)
5-6 synths (omni and repro)
about 15 processing plugins: 6 FX channels with reverbs and delays, and some bus and master processing.

>Otherwise .. .make a check .. similar project, do not use VEP, does it make a difference ?
I cannot  run similar projects without VEP (vienna ensemble pro) because all of my samples are distributed in the three computers, and doing it in a single computer won´t work because of ram
But I will try a stress test without it with lots of omnispheres and plugins

>What means on two extra computers ? Can you pls explain the signal flow ?
I use Vienna Ensemble Pro as a plugin that connects by ethernet to the 2 other computers and run kontakt and other Vsti.
For example I have a instrument channel that houses the Vienna ensemble pro plugin, it connects via ethernet to the other computer where an instance loads Damage 2 library, sends the midi and then the audio get back to Cubase.

Also I use it in the local computer (the one with the AIO installed) so I can offload processing from Cubase and keep the template loaded when switching between cubase projects, also it saves minutes of saving projects

> gigabyte z390 aorus master pro wif
It is disabled in the device manager, and bluethooth too (I cannot seem to find how to disable it in the BIOS)

This is the results of latency mon

https://i.ibb.co/jy75mgh/Latency.png
subir archivos para compartir

Sorry, image quality is too low, if you export JPEG, please check that export happens with 100% Quality.
Otherwise its much likely that one can't read text, etc ...

Please also copy/paste
- the full report and
- make also a screenshot of the Drivers Tab (sorted for highest execution time)

Thanks.

ramses wrote:

Sorry, image quality is too low, if you export JPEG, please check that export happens with 100% Quality.
Otherwise its much likely that one can't read text, etc ...

Please also copy/paste
- the full report and
- make also a screenshot of the Drivers Tab (sorted for highest execution time)

Thanks.

I will run it again to have the drivers and the full report, I have exported the jpeg (windows capture) at 100% when I click on the image it takes me to imgBB when it can be readed fine, is there another method of uploading the pictures?

Well if Vienna runs as plugin / insert.
Then IMHO the same is applicable as for all other VST inserts.
Your Machine needs to process all inserts in such a track one by one.
You have the processing "outsourced" to two other remote machines, so the one or the other needs the time to
- get data over network
- process audio
- send audio back
Instead of the local processing you have on top the overhead of the remote connection.

I hope you have the network access through a LAN cable.
Wifi would be counter productive, because WiFi does not perform bidirection data communication.
It can only one talker send and receive.
Depending on the WLAN standards and whether you have consumer or enterprise equipment this can be better or worse.

Best is to have at least a gigabit connection to a network switch and a good card.
But all accesses to the network also create IRQs .. this increases slightly
- Interrupt Rate
- DPC processing
I am not sure whether Vienna also supports Jumbo frames.

You need also to check all network connections, whether you have good cables and no network errors.
All needs to be set to 1 Gbps and FULL-DUPLEX operation.
Just in case one link would communicate in half-duplex for whatever reason (misconfiguration, mix of auto and static speed and duplex settings) the network performance would go down.
Watch for CRC errors and speed/duplex settings on all active ports.

And .. do not use WLAN for such a processing ....

ramses wrote:

Well if Vienna runs as plugin / insert.
Then IMHO the same is applicable as for all other VST inserts.
Your Machine needs to process all inserts in such a track one by one.
You have the processing "outsourced" to two other remote machines, so the one or the other needs the time to
- get data over network
- process audio
- send audio back
Instead of the local processing you have on top the overhead of the remote connection.

I hope you have the network access through a LAN cable.
Wifi would be counter productive, because WiFi does not perform bidirection data communication.
It can only one talker send and receive.
Depending on the WLAN standards and whether you have consumer or enterprise equipment this can be better or worse.

Best is to have at least a gigabit connection to a network switch and a good card.
But all accesses to the network also create IRQs .. this increases slightly
- Interrupt Rate
- DPC processing
I am not sure whether Vienna also supports Jumbo frames.

You need also to check all network connections, whether you have good cables and no network errors.
All needs to be set to 1 Gbps and FULL-DUPLEX operation.
Just in case one link would communicate in half-duplex for whatever reason (misconfiguration, mix of auto and static speed and duplex settings) the network performance would go down.
Watch for CRC errors and speed/duplex settings on all active ports.

And .. do not use WLAN for such a processing ....

First of all thanks again for your ongoing help, I think I have clicked on report when trying to quote and typed my response there, sorry about that, please ignore it (this issue is driving me insane!)

I am using gigabit lan and good cables, wifi is disabled.

The thing is that with this same configuration the Motu was able to handle everything at 1024 (even 512 if I turned off a couple of intensive plugins) with the AIO it cannot work even at 4096. There cannot be such a difference in performance, more so with RME drivers.

lightbox wrote:

Please note that your i9-9900K CPU only supports 16 PCIE-Lanes total. If your video card sits in the PCIE x16 slot, all other PCIE cards will have to share bandwidth with the video card. This can (potentially) cause problems.

Is it ok to put the video card in the 8x slot and the RME in a 1x slot?

pablo1980 wrote:
lightbox wrote:

Please note that your i9-9900K CPU only supports 16 PCIE-Lanes total. If your video card sits in the PCIE x16 slot, all other PCIE cards will have to share bandwidth with the video card. This can (potentially) cause problems.

Is it ok to put the video card in the 8x slot and the RME in a 1x slot?

Yes. You need the full 16 PCIe lanes for a GPU only for gaming.

So from this perspective 8 lanes are enough for normal GUI work.

All RME cards up to the HDSPe MADI FX (with way more channels) need only PCIe 1.1 with 1 PCIe lane.
PCIe offers enough bandwidth for data transfers.

19 (edited by ramses 2021-03-15 15:24:34)

Very valid point. Or USB is connected to chipset and has no issues on the way "north" to CPU
if he used before USB ports that came from chipset ....

BTW .. many thanks for pointing this out, I simply overlooked it, because my board doesnt have all this problems
and thought that the more modern stuff doesnt have such limitations....
But like always .. you need to look up to the design of the PCIe lanes, whether the setup has a chance to perform.

Thanks for the help, sadly returning it is very difficult because a a courier brought it from abroad and it would be almost impossible. not mentioning that UFX would be a lot more expensive, very sad that it can´t work as intended

I will try the sound card in the other slots to see what happens

Ramses do you need the latency mon data? I have ran it for 20 min

is there a way to upload the jpegs and the report txt?

oh dear wink

I have installed the video card in the 8x slot and it is a slight improvement, but not lots of it...

Can´t seem to know what to do next, something else in windows? should I upload the latency mon results? super bummed about this.

I have an i9 10850k on a z590 board. Am I going to run into this PCI lane sharing issue too (when I finally solve my cable access problem)? If so, that might be the final straw. If it only works well on super computers, it’s no good to me.

lightbox wrote:

Disclaimer:
I don't know for sure whether this PCI-E lanes topic is the one and only cause for the troubles. It's just one of many potential puzzle pieces that came to my mind. If your projects are huge with some heavy lifting ... and your workstation tries to use many PCI-E lanes at the same time it's more likely to play a role.

Jeff, your CPU supports 16 lanes total as well, same limit. No idea though how many lanes your workstation would use at the same time and how the lane switching is handled by your mainboard. Might work, might not work.

General remark:
The total bandwidth on any of these systems should be more than enough for audio work. The problems might be caused by the automatic lane switching and its timing ... but I'm no expert in board design. All I can say is that you might want to remember this topic for future workstation builds. I know quite a few people that weren't aware of this and ran into all sorts of bottlenecks ... especially with e.g. 4K video editing with multiple video tracks from multiple NVMe drives with heavy GPU use etc.

Pablo, if you don't mind and if your case has enough space, try the bottom slot of your mainboard which is a 4x slot only for your video card. If you don't do any serious GPU lifting, this might free just enough lanes?

I will try that, I still cannot believe that I bought this card with the ilusion of lowering the buffer because PCI was more stable and used less CPU than USB, and it turns out I have to rise the buffer with more latency and disable some master bus plugins.

It seems that if I had went for a babyface disregarding the claims about PCI was better I wouldn´t have this issues?

Actually, this "should" also run with your computer. But a PC is complex and technology can sometimes be a real bitch.

As a normal mortal here you can actually no longer know what you still have to pay attention to everything to get a working computer for audio.
OK, there are some avoidance strategies to stay on the winning track if possible, but you really don't know until you test out the finished solution.

I heard from an acquaintance that the somewhat larger system houses in this area even get special customized BIOS versions from Supermicro, for example. Whether this is really true or just clever "marketing bla bla", I can't say. But I take it from the people that they have put in a lot of work to deliver a really smooth-running system.

Either you are lucky and make a golden strike or you learn it the hard way (what works and what doesn't work). That's why there's no shame in buying a turnkey system for audio. Preferably from people who really know what they're doing.

For me as a hobby user with semi-professional ambitions, it's easier, I have no project pressure at all. But if you live on it, I probably wouldn't hesitate to get something tested. You'll recoup the price by not wasting time on tinkering or money on new or additional purchases.

The thing is, there are no trusted builder here in my country, they build pcs for gaming or general purpose, or say that they do it for audio but they really don´t know more about it.

I have tried a single kontakt with the giant on it, it doesn´t play with a buffer below 512...no sound at 256, 128, etc.

That can´t be right, there is something more at play than pci lanes here

30 (edited by ramses 2021-03-15 19:18:18)

I am really sorry seeing that you have such issues.

The last idea from my side would be to check DPC latencies with LatencyMon, but if the drivers do not occupie the CPU cores for too long, well then this should work or you have a severe issue with mainboard design / BIOS .. smth in that area.

Ask RME support whether they have an idea .. otherwise I would maybe ask around, which mainboard/CPU combination is known to work and implement that. Or give back AIO Pro and try something USB based.

ramses wrote:

The last idea from my side would be to check DPC latencies with LatencyMon, but if the drivers do not occupie the CPU cores for too long, well then this should work or you have a severe issue with mainboard design / BIOS .. smth in that area.

I have the latency mon images you requested, how can I upload them here for easy viewing?

32 (edited by ramses 2021-03-15 19:19:59)

Explained here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

The report text you can simply copy and paste as "text".
         EDIT -> copy report text to clipboard

ok, I took out video cards, working with the onboard graphics (can´t use it because I need several screens), the only non motherboard device on pci is the AIO card

nothing improved, so I don´t think it is pci lanes related, something else is wrong here, but I don´t know what else to do

no, thanks to you guys for helping me with this issue, you are incredibly generous with your time.

I am determined to find out what´s happening, and make the AIO pro work as it should.

I think the next step is upgrading BIOS, or reseting it to default?

Hello, everyone!

@Pablo1980
What other devices do you have connected to the AIO Pro? Are they properly synced?
Also, how many WDM Devices do you have configured, in the RME Driver Settings?

Another tweak, you can make, is to optimize Windows for 'Background Tasks'

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello, everyone!

@Pablo1980
What other devices do you have connected to the AIO Pro? Are they properly synced?
Also, how many WDM Devices do you have configured, in the RME Driver Settings?

Another tweak, you can make, is to optimize Windows for 'Background Tasks'

Hi. When I installed the card I had a steinberg mr816 connected via adat, but I disconnected it early to start with all this testing

I think I only have audio outs 1 and 2. All other Devices I left them unchecked.

I will see about background tasks, thanks!

Ah, nice!

pablo1980 wrote:

I think I only have audio outs 1 and 2. All other Devices I left them unchecked.

Can you set WDM Devices to "0", so that you will have only ASIO operation and check if the situation improves?
(You 'll loose Windows audio, but it's good for troubleshooting. You can re-enable them, later )

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Ah, nice!

pablo1980 wrote:

Can you set WDM Devices to "0", so that you will have only ASIO operation and check if the situation improves?
(You 'll loose Windows audio, but it's good for troubleshooting. You can re-enable them, later )

Good idea, I will try that tomorrow

Ok!

Also, try a test @44.1 KHz, if it's not too much of a hastle!

Hi, I have made some progress by deactivating hyperthreading, which is rare since I had read that Cubase 11 fixed the cores number problem, something in me says that I am loosing something without HT but I don´t know.

Now I am trying to have all 8 processors locked to 4.9

I will run a latency mon test later and upload it here for you to see.

some progress at last!

Hi

Just to mention it I'm a Windows 10 Cubase Pro 11 user and had the RME AIO for a long time and was rock solid allowing me working at even 64 samples buffer.
I switched to the new AIO Pro as soon as I saw it and my Cubase performance has decreased a lot,but I can still work at 256/512 samples so no big deal for me.

So I believe that something's going on with this new card and Cubase Pro 11.
Maybe it requires some driver/flash improvement.

Just my two cents.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I am waiting for free time between projects to reinstall Windows and see what happens, using the Motu USB interface in the meantime.

Maybe you should forward your findings to RME to see if they can get the AIO Pro in the same league as the old one with cubase?

is there any other application running using the audio interface ?
other Daw, a music player ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

No, I made the tests without anything running, I even disabled the RME wmd output from the control panel.

Still the question, what was the buffersize with the MOTU ?

I´m with the MOTU again now, I can use it at 1024 with no problems, these are heavy sessions with VEP

The thing is, I couldn´t run one instance of omnisphere at 128 with the RME, so something is off

47 (edited by waedi 2021-04-08 16:18:37)

I think there is something in your computer disturbing the workflow of the audio driver.
And I think it has to do with MOTU because it works fine with it but get in trouble when the Motu device is disconnected.
May be a WDM device needs the motu.
Can WDM devices get switched off for a test ?

48 (edited by pablo1980 2021-04-08 16:20:21)

Yes, that is a possibility, I am waiting to finish some work to reinstall windows and perform tests only with motherboard drivers, Cubase and RME drivers installed, and then begin reinstalling all other things to see what happens

This is the hardcore methode. i think it is the best you can do.
For serious computer work, you will be happy having build up from scratch and having all under control.
best wishes.

Thanks, I will update here when I get the results, maybe it helps someone too.