Topic: Is this normal for a Babyface Pro FS running on bus power?

I got a second hand RME Babyface Pro FS that was listed as mint. It does appear to be in excellent shape even if the manual does smell like smoke.

Anyway, I have a couple questions for those who have experience with this unit as I'm not sure if something is faulty with the one I got.

1. The USB-B connector really doesn't fit snug into the interface. It falls out pretty easily really. If you were to move it, I could see it coming out if it only had a little bit of slack left.

2. It seems to be really finicky with allowing operating systems to detect it. I've tried on two computers and multiple USB ports. Some times it detects it immediately. Other times you have to plug it in and unplug it a handful of times. At least one of the times it seemed like I put my thumb on the USB-B end to press it more firmly and it detected it.

Doesn't seem normal. I have no experience with the unit, or bus powered interfaces, so maybe it is. Not sure so thought I'd ask before I go back to this person.

Re: Is this normal for a Babyface Pro FS running on bus power?

The USB sockets on RME interfaces are very tight and the plug got locking without wiggling or falling out.
A lose USB connection will sure cause those symptoms you wrote.
Can you check the cable on other device ?
Is the cable broke or the socket ?
I would :
Not do any further plug - unplug USB.
Ask the RME support for repair cost , exchange of that USB socket is probably not a big deal.
Ask the seller for discount and if he is willing to do the repair procedure.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: Is this normal for a Babyface Pro FS running on bus power?

It sounds like you haven’t pushed it fully in. It is quite a tight fit but the first part goes in easy and will give you a connection. When updating firmware and removing power I didn’t push it fully in and had the same problem until I realised the connector goes in really deep. Once in fully it does not move at all.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.