Topic: DIGICheck 5 Pre-Release

DIGICheck 5 Pre-Release works fine here! No problems found.

But what about hiding the C, LF,SL and SR channels from the display if they are disabled?

Re: DIGICheck 5 Pre-Release

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!

Installs and works fine with my FF400.  Havent found any bugs yet.

Thanks ever so!

david

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

3 (edited by david-p 2008-05-01 03:50:18)

I have played with CD-5p1 further and have some comments:

Trivial: I/O Panel says "Abrechen" instead of "Cancel".

Confusing:  "LF" is used for "Low Frequency".  OK, but in English "LF" is used in Sursound to mean "Left Front".  The Denon DVD-2910 that I use for replaying DVD-Audio, etc, uses the abbreviations FL, FR, SL, SR, C, SW.  This last is short for "subwoofer", and this convention makes sense.  (In fact, the subwoofer channel is not usually used in audio recording, since the crossover frequency is by no means standardised -- see www.tacet.de)

Controversial (or due to some technical limitation of DC?):  I have made a speaking 5.0 test recording that identifies the five channels and that also has tracks that position the voice between all the pairs of neighbouring speakers in turn (e.g. FL/FR, SL/SR, FL/SL, FR/SR).  I am expecting a response that looks like the vector scope, and for the single channels that is what I get.  But what I get when I play the tracks of pairs of loudspeakers is not the straight line indicating in phase signal between the two loudspeaker positions, but two lines and a kite-shaped quadrilateral.

Disturbing:  While I like the 20dB/sec on the bargraph display, I want the vector display to be 100dB/sec.  When the voice on my recording moves abruptly from one position to another, I feel that the display should show this instantaneously.  What happens with the default 20dB/sec decay setting is that as the display MOVES to the new position, following the sound, one can still see the sound decaying at the old position.  This must confuse the display when there are signals coming from all over simultaneously.

Suggestion:  Why not make the axes of FL, FR, Sl, SR at 90 degrees to each other (orthogonal)?  The present angles do not agree with any normal configuration of speaker positions, and doing this might make it easier to show the in phase components, as in the "vector scope" function.  (It might be asking too much of DC that it could show an out of phase signal between two channels in red!)

By the way, I had DC quit on me unexpectedly.  I was asked whether to send a report to Microsoft.  Is there a logfile that I could submit to RME to explain this?

david

PS: WHY does it say "ADAT user" under my name?????

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

I also tested DC5Pre and it works flawlessly with FF400!

It is crazy cool to be able to have input and playback channels together!!!

BTW: My DC says "Abbrechen" and "Fill Incremental" on some windows.

The only two things I miss are:
1. if you press F2 to get settings windows, pressing it again (instead of esc) to close settings window
2. OVS meters in RTA Gonio and Totalyzer view.

Thanks you for this release and keep up the good work!

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com

Dandruff wrote:

But what about hiding the C, LF,SL and SR channels from the display if they are disabled?

In case you are talking about the lavel meter bars - with the upcoming meters (see my other post) this will be the case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

david-p wrote:

I have played with CD-5p1 further and have some comments:
Trivial: I/O Panel says "Abrechen" instead of "Cancel".

Will be fixed, thanks.

david-p wrote:

Confusing:  "LF" is used for "Low Frequency".

This has been changed to the correct LFE (this chanel is not subwoofer, it's Low frequency effects).

david-p wrote:

PS: WHY does it say "ADAT user" under my name?????

The crystal ball failed, I guess...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Dandruff wrote:

In case you are talking about the lavel meter bards -with the upcoming meters (see my other post) this will be the case.

no sorry, i meant the correlators. so that we only see the ones for enabled channels.

did you already investigate

Dandruff wrote:
MC wrote:

We'll check this with DIGICheck.

yeah, digicheck reduces memory usage when minimizing. would be great if you could avoid this (although i don't got any problems/glitches with it yet)! this even should "speed up" digicheck a bit (more responsive on minimize/restore)!

even mozilla's firefox and thunderbird applications support this with an option:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Config.trim_on_minimize (the latest versions already have this disabled by default)

?

also the trayicon is still showing the old icon. and the "input device setup" window should get a proper title instead of "Dialog" ...

Dandruff wrote:

did you already investigate

Dandruff wrote:
MC wrote:

We'll check this with DIGICheck.

yeah, digicheck reduces memory usage when minimizing. would be great if you could avoid this (although i don't got any problems/glitches with it yet)! this even should "speed up" digicheck a bit (more responsive on minimize/restore)!

even mozilla's firefox and thunderbird applications support this with an option:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Config.trim_on_minimize (the latest versions already have this disabled by default)

?

Any news on this Matthias? Didn't test the Pre Release 1 yet, maybe it's already in there?

We skipped that idea because it makes more problems then it is useful. The change in memory for DC is handled by the OS in realtime and puts zero burdon on the system. We were fooled first by the fact that when clicking the Minimize button the system seems to halt (similar to click and hold the title bar). But that is standard Windows behaviour. Click on the entry in the taskbar instead and voil?, no problem to minimize/maximize.

The only situaton where it could make sense is with lots of tracks in Global Record (many many Megabytes allocated) - not, as I don't see the reason to minimize Global Record when it is running. You don't do this with Cuendo, Reaper or whatever, and the effect would be the same...possible dropout...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok. just wanted to know. will the oversampled meters come in the final version for the global record?

btw: why does the global record function doesn't get a hotkey ("R" for example)? too risky?

Downloaded DC5 today, it says "5.0Beta1".
I have a Hammerfall Digi9652 in my computer. The card is recognized in the input device dialogue in the first field, but the channels (only two of them available) in the same dialogue say "HDSP MADI". I don't have a MADI card, never had one...
I haven't been able to feed any input succesfully into the software so far, sorry. Can I still improve the situation by myself, or do I have to wait for the next release?
Ulrich

Which function? Did you try to choose a different device? This is a drop down menu...

And which OS and driver were used?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by Ulrich 2008-07-29 10:37:32)

Hi Matthias,
I just saw I was wrong with my initial statement that the card is recognized, it is not. The first field says "ASIO Hammerfall DSP", of course that's not correct, it's a Digi9652. Digicheck 4.51 recognizes the card properly.
OS is XPSP2.
Driver is 2.11, should be the latest.
There are no further entries in the drop down menus, sorry...

I saw DC5 running with a fireface, the surround scope is something I was always looking for, great! Hope you can make it running here some day...

Best,
Ulrich

Ok, I got confused a bit. In this version the 9652 is not supported at all. We are discussing this right now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

O.k., that makes things clear. But supporting Digi9652 shouldn't be a general problem, as previous versions prove, right...? Please...

Hi,
it seems that DC 5.0 RC1 does not save or recall the correct channel numbers for DC input in the presets.
I tried to save a new preset using analog inputs 1+2 and another one with analog 7+8. When loading "preset 2" DC does not change to 7+8. It's still 1+2.

In Digicheck 4.5 this worked as expected.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Regards
Thomas

Any news about supporting Digi9552? I could make great use of the surround scope right now...

18 (edited by david-p 2008-08-26 21:18:59)

MC schrieb: Beta 4 includes the completed german online help.

What is the state of the English online help?  Is the deutsche Fassung in a more advanced state?

Thanks,

David