Topic: Using 2 digifaces in the same computer- how to wire

Hi!
First post here,
I just got a second digiface and im kind of confused as to how to use both digifaces at the same time inside a daw, im on s mac book pro running high sierra.
Should i create and aggregate device?
Do i need to create a phisical connection between both interfaces? Meaning do i have to run a cable from on digiface out to a digiface in and setup on each configuration panel as one master and the other slave?
Or can i do this via software? Seems like a waste of an adat channel for this to work.
If this is the way to do it (phisically) do i need to use both adat out to adat in from unit one to unit2, and and adat in to adat out from unit 1 to 2?
I could not find a clear answer.
Many thanks!

Re: Using 2 digifaces in the same computer- how to wire

Hello, and welcome!

This is from manual, page 28:

16. Using more than one Digiface USB

OS X supports the usage of more than one audio device within an audio software. This is done
via the Core Audio function Aggregate Devices, which allows to combine several devices into
one. All units have to be in sync, i.e. have to receive valid sync information via a digital input
signal.

x   If one of the devices is set to clock mode Master, all others have to be set to clock mode
Slave, and have to be synced from the master by feeding ADAT or SPDIF. The clock
modes of all units have to be set up correctly in their Settings dialog.

x   If all units are fed with a synchronous clock, i.e. all units show Sync in their Settings dialog,
all channels can be used at once.

Note: TotalMix is part of the hardware of each device. Up to three mixers are available, but
these are separated and can't interchange data. Therefore a global mixer for all units is not
possible.

So, you, also, need one Toslink from DF(1)(set as Master) Out to DF(2)(set as Slave) In, for them to be properly synced!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by hselters 2021-03-17 23:38:30)

I am not so sure if hardware sync is necessary, it worked for me without, when I was using core audio and aggregate devices on other interfaces, setting up the clocks in the audio midi setup with some drift correction.

Hi! Thanks a bunch for your replies!
Yes thats the bit that has me confused. I have other computers with aggregate devices that dont use a phisical connection. Right now i have both digifaces setup as an agreggate device, so wanted to ask before starting to debug or hear if anyone had a similar setup going on.
Ill report back on my findings.
Thanks for your help and support!

Hi, so i creatted an aggregate device with both fireface, and no phisical connection. Its working fine so far.
Cheers