Topic: RME Fireface UFX - DURECorder Stops Recording

I've been stress testing my RME UFX DURecorder to use as a backup, but keep running into the "USB-Recording has stopped" message after a max of 20 minutes. To avoid any possible sample rate changes, I've left my laptop with only total mix open, yet after sometimes 2 minutes, recording stops.

I'm on the latest version of Total Mix, latest drivers for High Sierra, and flashed the latest firmware to see if that would make a difference. Same issue.

I'm only recording 2 stereo tracks and 2 mono tracks, which should be no problem, right?

I'm recording to a SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 thumb drive formatted to FAT32 MBR at 128GB.

Any ideas?

Re: RME Fireface UFX - DURECorder Stops Recording

The sample rate might have changed. Check that the UFX is not used for system audio. Open the Settings dialog when testing next time and check the states for sync errors etc.

Also if this is an older unit check that Reverb / Echo still work perfectly. If not then DSP and/or RAM are defective, which would also explain the stop during DURec.

Also open the DURec screen on the unit's display and check the error counter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by tincanrecording 2020-10-10 00:39:38)

Thanks for the reply, MC!

UFX isn't being used for system sound (neither for systems sounds, or used for system input or output).I just did a test watching both sample rate and the error count. I had an external screen capture to make sure I didn't miss any split second errors.

It appears consistently, whenever HD reaches 14%, errors start to occurs rapidly, and then cause recording to stop. This test and the last test I did came up with 33 errors (after clicking 'ok' in the stopped recording dialog box, errors went up to 33), and 5 errors. I've gotten 5 errors more consistently, whereas 33 was just a one-off.

I checked reverb and echo, and both seem to be working perfectly. No artifacting or other weirdness.

Any idea what could be the issue?

Thanks again!

Edit: I did want to add that looking back again, HD usage went immediately from 9% to 14% and was pegged there until errors reached 32 and recording stopped. Have not seen HD% go above 14%.

Looks like the SanDisk stick is crap. Try a different one, or a portable hard drive or small SSD.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yep, you were right. Tried a simple 8GB USB 2 drive, and no issues for 2hours+. Thanks!

I've had similar problems. I have a PNY thumbdrive formatted to FAT32 Primary, and it often is not recognized by the Fireface UFX II. During a recent client session, I was using it as a backup to the session. After 20 minutes, "USB Recording has stopped." It completely messed up the DAW session take at the time, sounding like a resolution error., After which, the thumb drive was unrecognizable. Then later it was recognized.

I have similar problems getting the Fireface to recognize a Samsung SSD drive. It doesn't work, and then it does.

WTF?