Topic: How to combine 12mic units using MADI at 192k

How do you split channels between multiple 12mic units when using say 2 x optical MADI streams with the Madiface XT at 192k?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Re: How to combine 12mic units using MADI at 192k

There is no need to split if you use two MADI streams. Just connect one to each 12Mic and receive 12 (out of a possible 16) channels at each port.

Max wrote:

There is no need to split if you use two MADI streams. Just connect one to each 12Mic and receive 12 (out of a possible 16) channels at each port.

Thanks Max. To clarify, if a third 12mic is introduced how are channels split using a single fibre optic connection?

Eastwood Records

Each fiber carries 16 channels. Those can be analog inputs or any of the digital signals, for example MADI from yet another 12Mic, those can be routed within the 12Mic routing matrix. If you can describe more clearly what you're trying to achieve it would be easier to give helpful advice. You will always be limited to 16 channels per MADI stream at 192 kHz.

Max wrote:

Each fiber carries 16 channels. Those can be analog inputs or any of the digital signals, for example MADI from yet another 12Mic, those can be routed within the 12Mic routing matrix. If you can describe more clearly what you're trying to achieve it would be easier to give helpful advice. You will always be limited to 16 channels per MADI stream at 192 kHz.

So let’s say we have 3 x 12mic units and want to split 32 of the channels across two fibre MADI streams at 192k, one of the 12mic units will have to feed both MADI streams. How do you split the output when there’s only one SFP module?

Eastwood Records

You could connect the third 12Mic via coaxial to one, and via optical to the other. Both MADI inputs of the 12Mic operate at the same time and are fully independent from each other.

Max wrote:

You could connect the third 12Mic via coaxial to one, and via optical to the other. Both MADI inputs of the 12Mic operate at the same time and are fully independent from each other.

Thanks Max. Would remote control via MIDI over MADI be possible for all three units in this scenario?

Eastwood Records

No. I would recommend to run a Cat5e along the FO connections (or, if there is existing FO infrastructure, you could format convert the network connection to FO) and connect all three 12Mics to a simple switch via Ethernet.

Honestly I think the possibility to control the 12mic over a madi connection is mandatory. 
Actually this is what is holding me back from considering this device at all.
At least the gain and some basic functions should be possible with midi control. 

The device is really amazing imo,  but no midi control is a showstopper for me in my setup. 
Georg

georgob wrote:

Honestly I think the possibility to control the 12mic over a madi connection is mandatory. 
Actually this is what is holding me back from considering this device at all.
At least the gain and some basic functions should be possible with midi control. 

The device is really amazing imo,  but no midi control is a showstopper for me in my setup. 
Georg

Any update from RME on remote control of the 12Mic over MADI? I agree that it's a dealbreaker...

Eastwood Records

of course, there is a Midi remote since 10.6.2021

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33276

Georg